Author Topic: Joystick/Controllers Show Up In wxLauncher But Don't Work In Game  (Read 1385 times)

Offline SirSam

Joystick/Controllers Show Up In wxLauncher But Don't Work In Game
I have a SideWinder Precision 2 Joystick and a XBOX One Controller and both are detected in the wxLauncher, but do not work in game.

I have read everything here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=56279.0

Which then lead me here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91694.0

None were able to resolve my issue. Is there code I can maybe copy paste into a config file somewhere that it is missing to use the controllers in the game maybe? My mouse works, but not any controller.

I am using FSOpen 19.0.0 SSE2.

Thank you!

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Joystick/Controllers Show Up In wxLauncher But Don't Work In Game
wxLauncher is using an outdated SDL2.dll by default which creates different Device Identification numbers than the newer one FSO is using.

So you have to use simply a more current SDL2.dll.

Extract the attachement into the wxlauncher/bin folder and it will work again.

Well, i think i should repackage my Installers which includes everything for an easy to use manual installation. The last package was from 2020 with MVP 4.0.0  :nervous:

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:50:08 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Knossos doesn’t have this problem. Is there a reason you’re using wxLauncher instead of Knossos?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Is there a reason you’re using wxLauncher instead of Knossos?

I used wxlauncher instead of Knossos for a long time because at the time (and to my knowledge, currently) there was no way to easily transfer my existing installed mods to Knossos.  I did not want to download multiple gigabytes again over my DSL connection.  Eventually I did install Knossos to get new/new to me mods, and once I got fiber i started replacing mods using Knossos.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline SirSam

wxLauncher is using an outdated SDL2.dll by default which creates different Device Identification numbers than the newer one FSO is using.

So you have to use simply a more current SDL2.dll.

Extract the attachement into the wxlauncher/bin folder and it will work again.

Well, i think i should repackage my Installers which includes everything for an easy to use manual installation. The last package was from 2020 with MVP 4.0.0  :nervous:

Worked like a charm, thank you so much!

Offline SirSam

Knossos doesn’t have this problem. Is there a reason you’re using wxLauncher instead of Knossos?

I haven't tried Knossos, I have it installed now and will test out it's functionality as well.

Thank you!