I'd take a chance
6 (13%)
Abandon All Hope...
5 (10.9%)
What's a Chig?
10 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: October 02, 2002, 02:12:00 am

Author Topic: Above And Beyond  (Read 17842 times)

Offline diamondgeezer

OK, I know this has been talked about and forgotten more than once before, but...

Are there any Space: Above And Beyond-obsessed model makers and art gurus out there who fancy throwing themselves at a you-know-what total conversion? And before anybody accuses me of trying to blag other people's talent and stencil my name on it, I'm talking about a partnership (with me FREDding like a pro and nicking S:AAB's plot, natch).

Failing that, will somebody please make me a Hammerhead before I'm forced to make a really (and I mean really) shoddy attempt at one, the result of which would bring shame to me and the show :(

And to close, can we please keep this thread on-topic? Cheers.

[EDIT] Did you tick 'What's a Chig'? Don't know your AIs from your In-Vitros? Not sure what an MSK is? Click this!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 10:32:53 pm by 170 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
for the models, you should brwose the lancer reactor website, find the dudes who made those S:AAB models they have (which are gorgeous ) and ask for the original files so you can convert them to pof for freespace. I did that once.
SCREW CANON!

The first time my drive crashed I had meshes of hammerhead fighter, chig ships, and the Saratoga...

I am missing 2 epsidoes of SAAB and was planning on doing audio capture for a future mod like I did for Robotech (I now have a 975MB voice library I draw from when I make missions).

If you can make this mod, do it cause it would OWN!

If I can find those site again I will post the links....

I'm willing to do voice captures for you if wanted? :wink:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Hell yeah, if you can make good models, do it because this S:AAB conversion would be awesome!

Hoo-rah! :D

Slightly OT tangent: where can I find episodes of S:AAB for sale(DVD or VHS or anything else)? I haven't seen any repeats of the series at all and I'm dying to see "Who Monitors the birds?" again...

Was that apparition really Hawkes' sister? :eek2: :nervous:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I don't know if I could help, but I'd certainly play it if it got made. I liked what little I saw of S:AAB. It would be good for people like me, who missed 99% of the series when it was actually airing.

:D
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline diamondgeezer

Mods aside, if anybody wants to know where to get the series give me a private msg

[EDIT] No --> Know... I can't believe I actually wrote 'no'...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2002, 07:08:13 pm by 170 »

Offline Sobek

remmber seeing a hammerhead a year(s) back, been waiting on this one for a long while, then finnally the show can get the real ending it would deserve. The one they gave was kinda..... empty or they just got cancelled mid-season.

Offline diamondgeezer

The ending wasn't bad, as such... probably accentuated the show's semi-legendary status. After all, now they'll be remembered as heroes...

But, back to the modding. I got the SHP files form Lancer Reactor, is there a way to convert those to cobs or something? Buggered if I'm learning LightWave...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I know that there are tools on the Lancer Reactor for turning 3ds into SHP the SLExtractor does it i think, but try and get the rest of em too (SHP are just 3ds with nodes attatched for light points and missile pylons etc) Diamond you a londoner too?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline diamondgeezer

Well actually, I'm from Staines of all places (West Side!), but I'm in Leicester at the mo - just started back at Uni. That said, I haven't actually turned up to any lectures yet, but it's the thought that counts.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Im a South east londoner but 2nd gen Cockney, born in greenwhich, Do you know Ali G :thepimp: :yes:  ? BTW was the Lancer Reactor any help? also if anyone likes Wing Commander check my sig-LinK, I do like SAAB "HOO-RAH" but Confed always gets my vote, I just dont like nipple-necks. ;7  It would be good to see the wildcards launch from the saratoga and Mcqueen Flying while drinking scotch to kill Chiggy von Richtoffen (spl?)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2002, 10:38:19 pm by 735 »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Well actually, I'm from Staines of all places (West Side!), but I'm in Leicester at the mo - just started back at Uni. That said, I haven't actually turned up to any lectures yet, but it's the thought that counts.

DiamondGeezer is actually Ali G! Awwwww yeah. Phat p1mp1n!
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Colonol Dekker
Do you know Ali G?

Met him during filming for the movie, got an autograph. Tallest man in the whole wide worls he is :nod:

...I just dont like nipple-necks...

*smack*

Sort your attitude out, marine

...can we please keep this thread on-topic? Cheers.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
The ending wasn't bad, as such... probably accentuated the show's semi-legendary status. After all, now they'll be remembered as heroes...

But, back to the modding. I got the SHP files form Lancer Reactor, is there a way to convert those to cobs or something? Buggered if I'm learning LightWave...

you can't do that anyway, the file is not yours, you have to find the author of the model and ask permission to convert it to fs2, and if he agrees, ask him for the original mesh.
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Colonol Dekker
Im a South east londoner but 2nd gen Cockney, born in greenwhich, Do you know Ali G :thepimp: :yes:  ? BTW was the Lancer Reactor any help? also if anyone likes Wing Commander check my sig-LinK, I do like SAAB "HOO-RAH" but Confed always gets my vote, I just dont like nipple-necks. ;7  It would be good to see the wildcards launch from the saratoga and Mcqueen Flying while drinking scotch to kill Chiggy von Richtoffen (spl?)

:D Nice to meet a fellow local. :) I`m from Bexleyheath myself :)

I really liked S:AAB myself if you can get the mods together I might be willing to put a couple of missions together :)
You`ll have a fight over who gets to do the mission with Chiggy Von Richtoffen though :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by venom2506

you can't do that anyway, the file is not yours, you have to find the author of the model and ask permission to convert it to fs2, and if he agrees, ask him for the original mesh.

I was gonna try and work out if I could actually do it before I tried to track the dude down to ask him. However, since the Hammerhead cob, when triangulated, is over 2500 polys, I don't think I'll bother... Lovely model though

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
A SAAB mod might actually convince me to clear up enough space to reinstall Freespace.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline diamondgeezer

Yes, b'aint never gonena happen since NOBODY WANTS TO DO THE MODELS.

Just so we know where we stand.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
So what ships would you need?

Hammerhead
Saratoga & other similar vessels
Cruiser/Destroyer vessel seen a few times
LC

Chig Fighter
Chig Adv Fighter
Chig Bomber
Chig Destroyer
Chig Capital Ship

Not too many (unless im missing some stuff - which I might be...I've seen about half of the episodes).

This would be a fun MOD to do...and since alot of stuff isn't strictly seen on the TV...its possible to expand the universe enough to make it interesting.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline diamondgeezer

Yup, but you left out the ISSCV/APC - one of me faves :nod: Reckon I could have some fun making missions with those...

Otherwise, you got em all bar the once-seen Chig shuttle thingy, not that that's an important one. The Chiggy mothership/carrier would be easy, since it's pretty much just a flattened octo-whatsit (you know, an eight-sided dude). The Teran carrier would be interesting, since the shape is pretty basic, allowing plenty of spare polys for turrets and missile launchers and what have you.

The Hammerhead would need to be ammended with fixed forward shooter (unless the source code boys have a suggestion), but the rear turret is easy enough. The ISSCV would need detachable pods, changing the basic shuttle from a cargo/passenger hauler to a gunship or APC, and allowing the recreation/thieving of the last episode :cool:

Model makers, I have one thing to say - you know you want to...