Author Topic: Cumulative Modelling – the GTCv Moscow  (Read 64346 times)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Re: Cumulative Modelling – the GTCv Moscow
Welllll. I put my oar in too. ;) Some of the greebles in the .cob needed their normals fixed, they're in red. The three red ribs along the bottom also had geometry errors. The red face on the upper port nose had a "loose" vertex which I corrected. I couldn't slice it in half until I fixed it. Fortunately it was a fairly easy fix. I selected the loose vertex, then used the add edges tool to join it to another edge, then welded those two points and finished by moving the now connected vertex to a position mirroring the same vertex on the other side. A couple of faces on the front, above those curving pipe-ish lumps, had gone missing. Those I fixed by hitting them with the Add Face tool.

I find it much easier to work on a symmetrical model by slicing it in half, doing the point editing, then mirroring and welding, then doing a boolean subtract to remove the edges along the seam that bisect flat faces which cross the seam.

I also eliminated some redundant edges and vertexes in the big notch in the nose on the horizontal flat things. When it's re-triangulated there should be several less polies. The last things I did were cleaning up the small bumps at the top and bottom of the notch in the nose, especially the top one. I made the front face on each vertical because they looked like good spots for small weapon mounts. The final thing I did was removing some redundant geometry on a couple of faces on the bottom of that bit on the very bottom that looks like an aux. bridge.

So here's just the .cob version (Well, it would be here if the upload folder wasn't full, and if my ISP hadn't suddenly decided all the local dialup numbers should quit responding and disconnect me just as I clicked the Post button, and if their FTP server would allow me to upload when connected to the net through a different ISP!)

Were it all my own creation, there's some other parts I'd simplify a bit, mainly because there's fiddly small polies you'll never really see in-game.

I'll put it up later, probably this evening of December 10th, 2007.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
the public awaits with anticipation :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I can't wait to see how this project is advancing.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
OK, here it is. http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/Moscow6.zip

I did a bit more tweaking, and even more on the port half I've included. You'll notice the pipe-ish things on the front straightened up. I should've done that first and re-mirrored to replace the main body on the whole ship.

I also found another geometry error, but it's only fixed on the half ship. It's not so much an error as it's a face that's co-planar with another face, right at the rear of the big lumps on the sides of the nose.

The other change on the half ship is I took out the step on the inboard sides of the engine nozzles, where the only way to see it is if you're looking straight at the ship from above or below or zoomed in tight on the back end.

There's a few other little spots I changed a tiny bit to lose a small poly or two without doing major changes to the shape.

so...
somebody post a picture :D
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Here's the end of my fiddling with it. http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/Moscow7b.zip

The GTCv(g) Moscow. The item that most quickly identifies the g variant is the replacement of the tertiary ventral bridge with a dual step mount for a pair of small turrets and above the turrets a powerful forward radar.

The other major change is the deletion of the upper forward blob turret mount, enlarged lower forward blob turret mount and extention of the middle cross-deck to fit a decent sized turret for forward defense.

Just in case the enemy might confuse this Moscow with previous versions, there's an extra vertical thingy added on each side of those recesses in the sides of the nose. I'm sure there's some technical reason for it, other than just to make it look different. ;)

Offline Axem

I fight to save this from a fate of TI Exclusiveness!

Also the latest in Giant Robot Mechology...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/NarfPics/mechamoscow.jpg
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:44:48 pm by Axem »

It kinda reminds me of Megamaid from spaceballs :D

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Axem

Nah, just a conversation between me and VA going terribly wrong.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!

Huh? What's Texas Instruments got to do with this? ;)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Quote from: VA
As added motivation; if no-one else makes any kind of effort towards this in the future, me and BW may just pinch it for eventual use in TI. So there. :p

| See siggy. :p
V
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Go, Go, Gogotron! :lol:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
:bump:

Looks like this has died off. Anyone make any progress texturing the beast?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

How's UVing going, assuming the model is ready to be UVed?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Last time I checked it didn't have turrets

Offline khaz

I would be willing to do some work on this but the problem is i'm a Maya and Mudbox user at the moment. Are there any good cob to obj converters out there or would one of you be willing to export the mesh as an obj file? Or does freespace only use Truespace?

I've done much googling to try and find a decent cob to obj converter or a cob plugin for maya but no luck. :<

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
:welcome:

Hmm, Axem didn't actually post his changes, and the older ones have been deleted. :\

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge Axem has the latest version and hasn't started UV mapping it yet, but until he posts it here, I've attached the latest (OBJ) version I have, so have at it! :D

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

IT LIVES!!!!!
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline khaz

If Axem can post an obj version of his mesh I wouldnt mind UVing it either. I have a nifty little program here called Unfold3D (And Roadkill) which excels at UVing and then I can do any little tweaking in Maya's UV editor. As from what I can tell after eight pages of reading (My eyes are a bit blurry now :P), his is the latest model. Either way, let me see what I can add to Vasudan's mesh.