Author Topic: POF Constructor Suite 2.0 Release Candidate 2 - BUG HUNT!  (Read 17919 times)

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
Re: POF Constructor Suite 2.0 Release Candidate 2 - BUG HUNT!
 :lol:
children = no worrys
gotcha!
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
does the build you downloaded read RC2a or RC2 in the title? it's possible that i may not have uploaded the fix (built debug instead of release)
Please check the mantis report. I have RC2a in the title...
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I just uploaded a new build, it doesn't have the more informative error messeges, but it might have the bbox issue resolved. we made a bit of a design change about some header stuff, and the short story is radius and bbox values are now read only, because it will recalculate them on POF save, and the way I'm doing it involves useing the raw BSP data at the last possible second, so if the model looks right the bbox and radius should be right, but give it a shot, make sure colision detection still works and all that.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
I know it probably has nothing to do with PCS2, but when the FSOpen debug build cried death and destruction whenever I tried to load a specific model I figured something must be wrong. So I opened up this model in PCS2 and tried to save again as pof. and PCS2 immediately crashed. I'm no modeler, could anybody take a look at it? 

EDIT: Ugh, this thing is a giant fly-through-face. Collision detection seems to be totally garbled with this model.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:28:33 pm by Koth »
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I just uploaded a new build, it doesn't have the more informative error messeges, but it might have the bbox issue resolved. we made a bit of a design change about some header stuff, and the short story is radius and bbox values are now read only, because it will recalculate them on POF save, and the way I'm doing it involves useing the raw BSP data at the last possible second, so if the model looks right the bbox and radius should be right, but give it a shot, make sure colision detection still works and all that.

Info updated in Mantis 49.

Basically your new build:
  • Still changes the boundary box of the header.
  • There are a lot of warnings about inverted boundary boxes in SUBMODELS
  • BUT the model warning has dissapeared.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Yeah.. in the model the 'non complaining' BBox seems to be of type
Code: [Select]
BBox Min: x-min, y-min, z-min
BBox Max: x-max, y-max. z-max
While submodels do not seem to complain if they are of type 
Code: [Select]
BBox Min: x-max, y-min, z-min
BBox Max: x-min, y-max. z-max
In the complaining comm node those were for some reason apparently swapped...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
yeah.. that's just a coordinate space problem we have to track down
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So, what causes the file size increase when a model is loaded and then immediately saved?

EX: Cargo03. When correcting the inertia issues on it, it practically doubled in size when save in PCS2. I used ModelView32 to correct it. I'm not complaining, per se, but I'd like to know (if you would, please) where and/or what is causing for additional data to the model.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
So, what causes the file size increase when a model is loaded and then immediately saved?

pcs2's bsp compilers produces better collision meshes, as well as having SLDC (Shield collision data) - this makes bigger models.

you should NOT EVER use modelview's POF editing capabilities... EVER

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
you should NOT EVER use modelview's POF editing capabilities... EVER
O rly? :wtf:

It's served the community pretty well ever since it was first introduced ~8 years ago...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Hmm. Well, I haven't seen any benefits yet that encourages one over the other.

Suppose I'll just hex-edit Inerta values for models lacking them, now that I know where they are.

Can you support with a definitive statement or example why one should "NOT EVER" (which I almost read as NOT EV4R) use ModelView32?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Topgun

it can give bad collision detection.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 05:14:53 pm by Topgun »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Never use modview to convert from COB to POF. With anything more complex than a primitive shape it will almost certainly screw up collision detection one way or the other. That said, the only reason not to use it for POF editing is if your model has glowpoints - because modview doesn't recognise them, it just strips the chunk off upon re-saving.

Other than that it does absolutely nothing to damage the stability of the model.

However, PCS2 now does almost everything modview did and a whole lot more besides, so you really should be using that instead and submitting bug reports if you find problems. ;)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
modelview will also strip SLDC which is a new chunk that PCS2 introduces

his issue was that PCS2 makes models that are larger - that's not a bug

as for why one should NEVER use modelview for editing - already been stated:
Trashes collision data
Trashes GLOW
Trashes SLDC

Really once PCS2 is out nobody should even have modelview installed - it's flat out obsolete and Bob and I have been trying to make sure PCS2 does everything it does on top of everything else so we can finally put it in the grave.

The PCS2 NSIS installer register's PCS2 as the default program to open POFs

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Don't forget the massive memory leak that can occasionally corrupt the open pof upon the eventual crash of the application.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Err, ok that one I've never seen or heard about. I knew about the memory leak that got much worse on complex models, but that only ever caused me to restart the app every once in a while. It never crashed for me and certainly never corrupted a POF.

In nearly everything it could do, modview was the preferred POF editing tool for years and it did it well.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
the internals of modelview were always a lot more hackish than PCS1 - where as PCS1's interface was hackish because A) i suck at writing UIs B) i used Win32 API

PCS2 is good inside and out thanks to the help from Bob

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Anytime I went into POF editor on Modelview, if the memory leak _had_ been somewhat slow before, it grew massive as soon as I started doing anything.  Just open up taskman sometime and watch what happens.  Rotate a model, highlight certain fields, just click around, and you can just see the memory going up and up and up.  It usually crashed for me sometime after eclipsing 100MB of ram.  On a larger model that happens rather quickly, especially while editing.  I was using it one day just to line up various pof elements, and then copy the numbers into PCS1, and all of a sudden, it crashed, and the file had been corrupted and I couldn't reopen it with Modelview.  I forget if having a copy opened in PCS helped me there or not.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
This POF generated with PCS2 causes the game to crash as well as PCS2 when I try to reopen it.  Could be something I did though.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It opened just fine in Bob's sig build from 1/21.