Author Topic: Sandwich's, Su-tehp's and GalacticEmperor's trip to NYC  (Read 9531 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Sandwich's, Su-tehp's and GalacticEmperor's trip to NYC
OMG, this was a fun trip! Since Sandwich was going to be in New York, he invited me to meet up with him and his kid brother Jed (AKA Splinter) and we managed to get GE on board as well. We' planned this trip for over a month. Let's just say there were...complications when me, Sandwich and Jed went to meet GE at Penn Station...

Okay, get this. I drove up to Sandwich's uncle's place in New Rochelle from my dorm in White Plains. The three of us take the train from New Rochelle to Penn Station (via Grand Central) and we get there around 11am; we were supposed to meet GE at Penn Station around 11:30. So we wait a half-hour, then head over to where GE's train is supposed to be getting in.

We ask the conducter there if this place is where the passengers from Philly are supposed to exit the train. He replies that that spot is only where the passengers in the front of the train get off and that the passengers at the end of the train exit somewhere else. He gives us some vague directions about where this other waiting area is and we try to find this place. We don't find it (for those of you who have never been to Penn Station, the place is huge) and so we're wandering around for another half-hour just killing time. We go into a bookstore to kill some time when we hear the PA page Sandwich by his real name. "Michael Cohen, please meet your party in the main waiting area. Michael Cohen, please meet your party in the main waiting area." The three of us spend another 40 minutes looking for this mythical main waiting area and fail to find it. So we head over to the customer service area and decide to try and page GE ourselves and have him come to us.

Now, keep in mind, that none of us had ever met GE in person before. Our main assumption was that GE would recognize Sandwich because everone here has seen the "Serious Sandwich" pics, making Sandwich easily recognizable. (I had no trouble recognizing Sandwich when I first met him, so we figured GE wouldn't either.) Unbeknownst to GE, I had PM'ed him my cell phone number in case he had any trouble. Unbeknownst to I or Sandwich, GE had PM'ed Sandwich that he would be wearing a Hawaiian shirt to make him recognizable. (I was wearing my ThinkGeek.com binary joke T-shirt to make myself more distinctive, BTW. There's another story that involved that shirt that happened later that day, but that story will be told later.) So we were wondering why GE wasn't calling me on my cell. After paging GE by his real name, we waited a half-hour, then paged him again and waited another half-hour. By this time, it's almost 1pm and we've been in Penn Station waiting for almost two hours. Finally and reluctantly (because we had no desire to diss GE since he had come up from Philly to see us, but we couldn't wait all day), we decide to leave.

As we're leaving, Jed says he has to go to the bathroom, so we wait for him. Not a minute later, we see a 20-something guy weaing a Hawaiian shirt and carrying airport-notice-style a notebook marked in big black magic-marker with the letters "HLP". Sandwich says to the guy "GE, is that you?" and the guy looks over, instantly recognizes Sandwich and replies "Sandwich?"

And that's how me and Sandwich met GalacticEmperor face-to-face. :D

(It turns out that GE has also paged us three times, but since we were on different floors at the time, we never heard the second or third messages for us.)

I'll leave my ThinkGeek.com binary joke T-shirt story for either GE or Sandwich to tell. :nervous: :cool: :D

Oh, and here's a memorable quote from that day when the four of us were waiting in a REALLY long line for the Skyride in the Empire State Building...

GalacticEmperor: Do not try to ride the ride. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.

Me: What truth?

Me and GalacticEmperor (in unison): There is no ride.

:D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 12:10:49 am by 387 »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
I have a sudden urge to pin GE to the floor and just keep slappin' him.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
and New York will never be the same...
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Lol.....funny stuff:D
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
hehe, at least the story had a happy ending... ... ... so far :D
Habeeb it...

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
let's hope they don't visit australia :nervous:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
W007! Me is back safe and sound in good old Israel, and quite pooped. Too pooped to add to the story, to be honest. Perhaps by the time GE gets around to replying and adding in his 2 pence, I'll have recovered enough to both contribute my bit of the story as well as post some pics! ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Just a question: Was Su still doing his 18-year old bonde virgin routine, or did he finally grow up?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Knight Templar
and New York will never be the same...

LOL i forgot su-teph lives in upstate NY. so thats who i saw in the "winter-bagle" car.... :p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:lol: Ah yes, the Skyride. For those of you who haven't been to NYC, the Skyride is a two-minute long motion simulator over the Manhattan skyline on the second floor of the Empire State Building. It costs $9 and the line is over an hour long. :blah: But hey, how were they supposed to know?

But it was quality time. Anyway, the story is that Su was wearing his shirt...

And while we were in line, a young woman about our age standing in front of us stares at the shirt and says "What does that mean?" The three of us burst out in giggles and attempt to explain about computer languages, on/off states, and number base systems unsuccessfully. Finally she gets the hint 'It's a computer thing' and turns back to her companions. (They were cute, too. We should have hit on them. But I digress...) So we progress a few feet, and the line splits. Su says, "What, there are two lines?" and then our friend here says, "No, there are 10."

We all crack up, naturally.

Yeah, that was cool. I'll wait for Sandwich here to post his pics, then we can chat about them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
It wouldn't be "ten", though, it'd be "one oh".

And it's a rare girl you can hit on after explaining binary to, or while wearing a T-shirt with a geek joke (or, in fact, most any of the sort of jokes that appear on T-shirts) on it. Unless she's absolutely plastered, but at that point you could be wearing a shirt made out of your grandmother's skin then and still successfully chat 'er up.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
And while we were in line, a young woman about our age standing in front of us stares at the shirt and says "What does that mean?" The three of us burst out in giggles and attempt to explain about computer languages, on/off states, and number base systems unsuccessfully. Finally she gets the hint 'It's a computer thing' and turns back to her companions. (They were cute, too. We should have hit on them. But I digress...) So we progress a few feet, and the line splits. Su says, "What, there are two lines?" and then our friend here says, "No, there are 10."

We all crack up, naturally.

Yeah, that was cool. I'll wait for Sandwich here to post his pics, then we can chat about them.

Actually, she asked what "binary" was, and I was the one to remark on how there were two lines converging into one at the one point. But you get the gist. ;)

Lesee, pics.... pics... gotta optimize them first. Be back in a few.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline J.F.K.

Haha, you guys are funnies. :D
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, here's a couple of pics for you. First, Su-tehp, me, and GE posing on top of the Empire State Building:

Second, we have GE posing in front of, well... his building! ;) (Can you see it? ;7)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:39:44 pm by Sandwich »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
well now... now i know what you guys look like, i'll know when to run:p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
ARGH! My eyes!

*cries blood*

Also, y'know that feeling of pinning GE down and smacking him? Well it's now spread to include all three of you.

Talking to girls about BINARY! For **** sake. If I had the cash and some knives you'd all be bleeding profusely by now.

It's people like you that give geeks like me a bad name.......Well, I give me a bad name too, but that's beside the point.

*goes back to making a Q3A clone entirely out of ASM*
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by an0n
Talking to girls about BINARY! For **** sake. If I had the cash and some knives you'd all be bleeding profusely by now.

She's the one who asked in the first place. :p

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
And that makes it okay?

The correct respond to "What does that T-Shirt mean?" is ALWAYS:
"It means you've got the most beautiful eyes I have ever had the pleasure of being lost in and, as they say, the eyes are the window to the soul. You must be one amazing young woman. Do you wanna maybe go get a bite to eat?"

Doesn't matter who asks. Hot girl, ugly girl, gay guy, your mom. ALWAYS the same answer.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by an0n
And that makes it okay?

The correct respond to "What does that T-Shirt mean?" is ALWAYS:
"It means you've got the most beautiful eyes I have ever had the pleasure of being lost in and, as they say, the eyes are the window to the soul. You must be one amazing young woman. Do you wanna maybe go get a bite to eat?"

Doesn't matter who asks. Hot girl, ugly girl, gay guy, your mom. ALWAYS the same answer.

Hah! I'd have loved to see you put your money where your foot is in that case, buddy-boy! :lol:

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
You think I'd bother hitting on sight-seeing chicks? Hell no. As always, I'm the exception to the rule. I'd have been more like:

Girl: What's that T-Shirt mean?
Me: It means "**** off and turn the hell back around."