Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617530 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: What are you playing right now?
Played through EPIC finally.

Actually i found out a method to find this Fuelling ships quite easy. Photon Torpedos are the answer, because they have a targeting computer. But you can only use it only if you have any Torpedos (which are more like missiles) left.
But with that, it was not a big problem, even tricky at times and so the missions are not an issue anymore.

Well.. it is still nothing more than a Graphic Demo with some BSG78 and ST:TOS asset. I would say... both Star Cruiser as well Wing Commander which are both older, are much better.
The only think i liked about that is that it indeed have big space battles.

Well i do not think, that the Amiga exclusive Mission Disk, that consists of nothing more than 2 missions, will make a big difference, but i will try it out for my Playthrough channel for sure.

But before, i think i am playing through another campaign of Critical Depth.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I remember playing Epic when it came out on the Amiga. I remember very little else about it other than that it was hugely derivative of BSG and lots of other shows. I don't remember it being awful, just not amazing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)
At the time I could barely play the demo a few minutes until my PC decided not to run it for a reason I couldn't ascertain.
It might have been interesting at the time, but boy if it has issues.
The protagonist, the angel Malachi, is super fragile and the common mooks can and WILL shred you while absorbing and often inordinate amount of bullets if they see you first.
There seems to be some localized damage but the effect of a headshot seem to be fairly random so sometimes a mook will die instantly in others he will stand up after being hit in the face by a rocket launcher.
Hell, most weapons because of the bullet sponginess of most enemies tend to play second fiddle to the three or four angelic powers that are actually useful (though it's mostly Pentecost, which is basically a chargeable shot, plus another two necessary to pass certain points and the healing spell) with only the rocket launcher being really useful.
You often die in very few hits at full health and health pick ups feel really scarce, the healing spell make it possible to go through the second half of the game but it's ridiculously slow and mana-consuming.
The aestethics are very 90s, even Malachi if it wasn't for the wings in some of the cutscenes would basically look like "rugged liefieldian action dude #143859b" with a slash of generic heavy metal album cover.
The plot seems to be there for the first half or so of the game (there is even one of the parts where you need to sue your powers that is actually a case of gameplay and story interaction rather than segregation), but the later half has a plot twist that gets drowned in the somewhat mediocre shooting.

It's not really that bad, but my nostalgia for 90s shooters could have found something better to latch on.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Finished Broforce after putting the saves on my desktop. No Dolph Lundgrin but they got Machette and the chick with the gun leg? Disappointing.
The 90s action hero theme is cool but they veered off from that theme big time.

Playing a bit of Risk of Rain now, another proc gen roguelite grindfest but so far still enjoyable

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Got reward and recognition vouchers of a substantial value at work (apparently subduing an aggressor who's downed a security guard warrants fifty quid) so I got marvel vs capcom infinite and a Google home mini and a Spotify subscription. 

Playing with all that is good :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Subnautica.

I've had this on my "This looks awesome" list forever. Got it as part of some bundle, but wanted to wait until it was finished to appreciate it fully. And then I waited a tad longer while I finished up Dark Souls III, figured it wouldn't hurt to give it time for post-1.0 patches.

And now I'm entirely sucked in. This game is so good. Absolutely worth the wait.

DSIII was good too.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Nearly a year ago i played the Mega Drive version of the space/first person mix Star Cruiser for my YouTube Channel.
But now i am playing the successor to that.. Star Cruiser II: The Odysseus Project.

Well that has a god damn hard beginning, because even the first boss was a very tough cookie... and after that, i am already out of money and only have the half of my energy left... and it seems, that i do not get the promised 5000 Credits reward for this mission, yet.

Looks like i am already stuck in this game. Maybe i had to restart the game and should farm some asteroids to sell them before i head to earth for this mission.
But well, maybe this save is still salvageable.

A classic japanese game in its purest as it seems. What in our regions is insane diificulty is easy there  :D

But the first game was not so hard by any means at the beginning... maybe this is because i was only playing the console port, that was planned to be released in the West too. :D
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I've been doing a second playthrough of Steins;Gate for the other endings (and just got to the halfway point again) and I really like how replaying the game to get the True Ending is framed.

Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Finished Sands of Time. That ending gives me goosebumps every time, it's just sooooooo good. I just love the way that they managed to not go with a standard happily ever after game ending.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Prince of persia?   I've never tried that one, I'll look for a demo later when I'm home.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. Warrior Within on the other hand is not as good. I installed that, got the **** kicked out of me because someone thought it a good idea to have a hard boss battle in the middle of the tutorial and then it crashed on reloading. Since I've already completed it before I might just go straight to Two Thrones instead.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Have you played Forgotten Sands?  I played it right after Sands of Time and found it excellent.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, I was asked about that one before. I have played it but it's not available on GOG (probably because it included Ubisoft's ridiculous always on DRM). I refuse to buy anything that includes anything that idiotic.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well Forgotten Sands is very interesting indeed... because there exist four different versions of it.  :D
It has a feeling like campaigns that play after FreeSpace 2... you do not like the Story of the PS3 version? Play the PSP version instead, which is totally different  :lol:

I have to say, i disliked the PC/360/PS3 version, because it never worked as an Interquel for me... i never had an explaination why i can do much more things in the Forgotten Sands than in Warrior Within and The Two Thrones that plays a few years after this game.

The Story and Atmosphere in the Wii version was much more fitting... but the gameplay is debateable for sure, because in the Wii version was anything new on the contrary to the PC version... but well, it also felt much more like TSoT this way  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:37:00 pm by Novachen »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah. Warrior Within on the other hand is not as good. I installed that, got the **** kicked out of me because someone thought it a good idea to have a hard boss battle in the middle of the tutorial and then it crashed on reloading. Since I've already completed it before I might just go straight to Two Thrones instead.
Ugh, I remember that woman.  Warrior Within was pretty cringeworthy as a whole with the 3edgy5me Prince and the blaring Godsmack soundtrack.  Plus the devs apparently thought that "improve the combat" meant "add about 50 combo moves that no one will ever use." If you could get past all of that, the platforming was still great.  Two Thrones, though a bit uneven, was a big return to form tonally, and I really liked hiw it brought the whole story full-circle in the end.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It snowed (!) during the last week of March which cut short a lot of my plans, so I plugged in my WiiU and finally took a shot at The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - after two weeks, I am 3/4 through the Divine Beasts and have about 60 shrines finished.

The not-Switch version has some predictable technical issues (e.g. a sizeable frame rate drop when game applies transparancy to tree leaves when climbing) but so far it is a blast as nothing really seems to interfere with the critical gameplay all that much. I am also lucky that I have one of the Pro Controllers which has a far longer battery life than the WiiU's own gamepad (Still a better piece of hardware than most VR-Headsets :P).

I will spare you the obligatory fawning over the narrative but suffice it to say, I am glad that I've waited considering how bleak 2018 looks games-wise.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I didn't think this year looked bleak at all.

There's 2 Total War games, a Gundam game coming out on PC, a Soul Calibur game with Geralt of Rivia coming out on PC, the Jurassic Park management game from Frontier, and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

EDIT: Taking a little time to look, there's also Battletech and Tropico 6 set for this year.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:05:22 pm by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline 0rph3u5

Granted, I might be overstating it a bit but compared to last year when there was at least one release per month (averaged out) that held my interest. This year not so much.

I am still saving for Ni No Kuni 2 but I also have Battletech on the radar (I might do some streaming come the weekend after release) but that's it with high profile releases I marked down for me.
Vampyr looks interesting too (but then again so did Remember Me). Pillars of Eternity 2 will be a toss-up, simply because how terribly slow-burn the narrative in the first one was.

Battlefleet: Gothic - Armada 2 doesn't have a release date yet and considering how the release window for the first one went (aside from poor communication during the open beta), I am not holding my breath for a 2018 release.

A Way Out just bombed in the review department.

My expectation for Tropico 6 will depend on further previews.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline 0rph3u5

Brought Breath of the Wild to its conclusion ... I might have overperpeared as the endgame felt rather easy

Ps. Rivali is one magnificent bastard :)

==================

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Got more into Star Cruiser II: The Odysseus Project lately. Even it is indeed a hard game, unfortunately mostly because of it's controls so far.

In the FPS sequences it is playable with Mouse even with some problems, these have an much bigger effect in the space segments of this game. The mouse is very unresponsive and lacks sensivity mostly... i have to admit and i never thought that i would say that, but i actually would prefer the gamepad from Star Cruiser 1...

Additionally i got a new Land Tank in one of the first story missions, that has the ability to hover. Well, the controls got even worse with that. Because previously i was able to control it with the Arrow Keys.. Up and Down for moving for- and backwards and Left and Right for strafing, perfect for First-Person Shooting Action... but with the hover function the Controls changed, because the Arrow Up and Down is now for hovering up and downwards. But Left and Right is still for Strafing. The Problem is, that Forward and Backward is now accomplished with Numpad 8 and Numpad 2... but 4 and 6 are only change the direction you look, the same what you do with the Mouse.

So i have to use 2 Numpad Keys, 2 Arrow Keys and the Mouse at the same time in the FPS segments. Well, that was not a good game design decision imo.
Because i do not think, that the position of Arrow Keys and the Numpad were so much different on a PC-9800.

But apart from that, i am in the first Free-Form section of the game now, where i have to earn money with freely-chooseable missions in the whole solar system for better equipment until the next story mission appear.
So far i destroyed a VOID base on Mars, survived a Space Duel against the 'Dark Princess'in the Earth orbit and also shot down a Starfighter with a superweapon near Neptune (that was a very long flight...). Especially on the Neptune ride i also killed some Space Pirates for some bounty and also mined some Asteroids in the Asteroid Belt for ressources i could sell or to convert into some useful later.

Well i think that i should buy a better weapon very soon or atleast a booster for my current one, because the standard laser is already getting weak against some enemies i encounter in the Land Tank missions.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:41:22 pm by Novachen »