Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 421298 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)
Alas, at this point classic Knossos is now mostly outdated. I highly recommend folks switch to using KNet. It is a highly improved launcher, including having orders of magnitude faster loading, better joystick setting, easier option handling, smaller file size, and more 🙂. Moreover, you can install and use KNet without have to change your mod library folder at all, since KNet uses the same file structure as classic Knossos. 

https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FSO is the engine.  Media VP Upgrade is the new models for that engine (which can also just use the stock models).

For normal FreeSpace 2 with the new models you want to load the Media VP Upgrade yeah.

If you want to play upgraded FreeSpace 1 that's called the FreeSpace Port (porting FreeSpace 1 missions + upgrades to FSO).

Many times a mod will require another mod to function (example, it requires Media VP Upgrade). If this happens you just select the mod you want and it will chainload the required mod (MVP Upgrade) automatically for you.

The old installer still had you selecting the mod to play from a drop-down (would me listed as Media VPs 3.x or whatever IIRC).  It's just a new skin over the top, the SCP engine is still executing -mod MediaVPs3.x or whatever in the background, if I understand correctly.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see the next page there, I see wookieejedi responded already.  If KNet is the new thing I'd probably try that, looks to be a revamp of Knossos so see what you get there.

Alas, at this point classic Knossos is now mostly outdated. I highly recommend folks switch to using KNet. It is a highly improved launcher, including having orders of magnitude faster loading, better joystick setting, easier option handling, smaller file size, and more 🙂. Moreover, you can install and use KNet without have to change your mod library folder at all, since KNet uses the same file structure as classic Knossos. 

https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

Thanks for mentioning Knossos.Net
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 08:04:07 am by TheBigCore »