Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377665 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.7
Yeah, dreamhost doesn't like their sites being used as download repositories like this.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hi guys, this will be my first post.

I was installing FS Open and, frankly, I screwed it up. :banghead: I first bought and installed FS 2 on Steam, then created a new folder and copied the files to that folder using the installer. When the choice of installation came up, I selected to install ALL of the mods, not realizing how long it would take. I got impatient and cancelled the installation midway through. Then, I deleted the folder with the copied game files and partially-downloaded mods in it and restarted the installer with the intent to install just the basic game without the mods. My problem is that, when I restarted the installer, it says that all of the files are up to date, when they clearly don't exist anymore, and just copies the game files to the new folder but doesn't install any new files.

My question is: how do I refresh the installer so that it will reinstall the necessary files? Thanks in advance.
There are a couple of options to get the installer to redownload everything.  Probably easiest is to select the checkbox labelled "Re-run installation for mods that are already installed up to date" - that should be at the bottom of the screen after you've selected "Basic".  The other way is to remove the "fsoinstaller.properties" file in your home folder, I think for Windows 7 that'll be in c:\users\<USERNAME>\

Perhaps a "reset Installer" button can be added to do this (delete the file)?

Just a thought.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Oh, and this should probably be stickied in the "Getting Started" Board, instead of / in addition to FS Tools.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Oh, and this should probably be stickied in the "Getting Started" Board, instead of / in addition to FS Tools.

Or both?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

To be honest, that's probably overkill.  The 1st option I mentioned was added to deal with this case. If the file is deleted you'll lose other info like the FSO install dir and any proxy settings.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Or both?

:p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

No.  Deleting the file is rarely something you want to do (c.f. niffiwan's comment) and if you really want to do that you can actually delete the file.  You don't need the installer to do it for you.

Additionally, every extra widget added to the installer adds potential for confusion.  I've been very careful about the interface changes I've made for this reason.

Finally, I already added the "re-install already installed mods" checkbox due in part to your earlier suggestions.  I'm not sure why that doesn't satisfy you.

No it should not.  This is a tool, ergo the FSO Tools board is the correct place for it.  Now, if someone wanted to write a tutorial that described the FSO Installer (or update one of the existing tutorials) that would be a fine thread to place in Getting Started.

Offline Luis Dias

It could be placed under "Installing FreeSpace Open" amongst the other options in the menu bar, though.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, this is a tool, and discussion on its development is fine here, but its release info really needs to be prominently featured in other more intuitive forums.  I couldn't find this thread for a while, when I realized i'd only been visiting it from email notifications.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

No.  Deleting the file is rarely something you want to do (c.f. niffiwan's comment) and if you really want to do that you can actually delete the file.  You don't need the installer to do it for you.

Additionally, every extra widget added to the installer adds potential for confusion.  I've been very careful about the interface changes I've made for this reason.

Finally, I already added the "re-install already installed mods" checkbox due in part to your earlier suggestions.  I'm not sure why that doesn't satisfy you.

No it should not.  This is a tool, ergo the FSO Tools board is the correct place for it.  Now, if someone wanted to write a tutorial that described the FSO Installer (or update one of the existing tutorials) that would be a fine thread to place in Getting Started.

I was merely suggesting it in case a user would find it handy. I'll defer to your judgement. 

As for the thread location, what chief said. 

Although I will hopefully have moved by the end of the month and have usable internet and could thus do a walkthrough, it's not a guarantee.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We have a whole bunch of out-of-date tutorials floating around HLP.  A person wouldn't even have to write it from scratch; he could edit one of the existing ones and just bring it up to date.

And the new HLP site already has a link to the FSO Installer in its top bar.  Not sure when it will go live, but it's actively making progress these days, unlike the last several years. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I observe that this gentleman on the Steam forums has selected the "copy FS2" option without apparently reading what he was clicking on.  As a result he is still looking in the Steam install directory for FSO and all his mods and not finding them.

This is why I solicited feedback, repeatedly, on IRC about having the copy option in the first place.  Nobody cared to respond (everybody was too busy complaining).  What about y'all on the forum?  Is the copy option still useful or should it be removed, now that RC3 supports long paths?

For the record, if you select an installation folder that doesn't have FS2, you get the following prompt:

The selected option is what I'm asking about.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I think it's best to remove it at this point, or at least remove the "recommended for Steam users" option.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Remove

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, +1 for removal.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
With RC3, remove. I'm assuming the Installer downloads that executable by default? So no one will install an older "stable" version and crash?

Offline est1895

So I just bought and downloaded the Freespace 2 form Gog.com.  The question I have is in the instructions it says to use this file: (viz. setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe).  My filename just says setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe  Is there any problem since I did not use the Gog.com downloader?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Pretty sure that's fine, no idea what 'viz. ' is in there for.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
For Steam users, when removing this 'Move install' button, we may want to add some support to replace the binaries a bit.  Steam is hardcoded to launch 'Freespace2.exe', but many users are replacing that with the Launcher or the fs2_open_*.exe file.  We might consider an option to replace the Freespace2.exe with the launcher to be built in to the FSO Installer, as a helper for the Steam users.

Or, the installer could create shortcuts.  Since the installer installs new binaries, I'm not sure how easy it is to for many users to notice that they need to run the new Launcher and not just run the existing shortcuts installed by the game, or the Steam shortcut, etc.

Is there a way to add custom shortcuts to Steam when you install a mod for a game?  Maybe the Installer could do something like that?  Although just some new Desktop/Start Menu shortcuts might be universally useful if there aren't any added yet.

Offline est1895

Can you choose what mods to install, if any at all?  For novices, I think it is good to know that the new WinRAR 5.10 release, when installing it remember to select .jar option.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:13:51 pm by est1895 »