Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377699 times)

Offline bcKq

• yeah
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.3
Hi. I can translate it to Polish, it doesn't seem to be too much work.
And I love this installer :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great. :)  I will send you a PM.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Much to my shame I've had the installer downloaded since the beta versions, yet never really got around to giving it a full run-through.  I have it fired up now, and it's working like a dream.  This is just the kick in the pants I need to start (re)playing a bunch of campaigns. :yes:

Offline Luis Dias

I have a nagging feeling that might be terribly wrong, and I apologize in advance if this is so, but given how recently many threads have been opening about problems with FreeSpace not having registry entries (and given how at least one person admitted using the FSO Installer), I wonder if the FSO Installer is writing to the registry correctly?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's probably a question for the wxLauncher folks.  The Installer doesn't write to the registry at all.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, I've never had problems with a fully manual installation, so I didn't think the installer had any need to touch the registry.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yeah, I thought the launchers were the program that added the registry entries.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline snake60

Hi, I could help for a french translation if needed

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
By all means. :yes:  PM sent.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.4
I've uploaded version 2.1.4 with the following changes:
  • More robust detection of the operating system, including support for FreeBSD and Solaris
  • Add support for InnoExtract on FreeBSD
  • Fix extraction of bzip2 archives
  • Fix extraction of nested archives, e.g. .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz
  • For internally downloaded files (e.g. InnoExtract and oalinst.exe), perform validation using SHA-1, not MD5
  • Handle path expansion of the tilde (~) for home directories

Offline snake60

I was about to say YOU MOST MAKE AN UPDATE !  :lol:

• and french translation  :p (sad snake is sad ;))

Offline vulchor

This is my first time installing FSO.  I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it for much longer if it hadn't have been for this installer (I have the habit of spending way more time choosing and configuring mods than actually playing them with other games).  I chose the custom install method, but do not know if I should install both MediaVPs 3.6.12 and 2014, or just 2014.  Please advise, thanks and I appreciate everyone's work with modernizing this classic from my childhood.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Both -

Offline vulchor

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Yes, it has French translations too. :)  Every time I add a new language, I modify the first post in the thread.  I don't put the languages in the 2.1.x update posts because I use those for code changes.

Offline snake60

Yes, it has French translations too. :)  Every time I add a new language, I modify the first post in the thread.  I don't put the languages in the 2.1.x update posts because I use those for code changes.

Don't worry, it was more a joke than anything else   ;)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Just used the installer.  No errors whatsoever, even asking it to install to an external Hard Drive.  I even used the innoextract method.

I just have one suggestion.  For Newbie players, it's not clear that they need to run the launcher to start.  You may either want to tell them to run the launcher after a successful install or give them the option to run the 5.5g launcher. 

Brilliant work, Goober.  :yes:

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Not sure if the request has been made before, but could there be an estimated download size for each package somewhere? Could perhaps stick it on the "More Info" message box.

Also, :yes:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Just used the installer.  No errors whatsoever, even asking it to install to an external Hard Drive.  I even used the innoextract method.

I just have one suggestion.  For Newbie players, it's not clear that they need to run the launcher to start.  You may either want to tell them to run the launcher after a successful install or give them the option to run the 5.5g launcher. 

Brilliant work, Goober.  :yes:

Glad to hear it. :)  I'll think about that post-installation launcher note.

Not sure if the request has been made before, but could there be an estimated download size for each package somewhere? Could perhaps stick it on the "More Info" message box.

There is no way for the installer to do that without making an HTTP connection to all the files in the mod, and that would add an unacceptable delay to the interface, particularly if the connection were slow or blocked.  So it would be more appropriate for the mod creators to add that information to the description themselves.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Quote from: Goober5000

There is no way for the installer to do that without making an HTTP connection to all the files in the mod, and that would add an unacceptable delay to the interface, particularly if the connection were slow or blocked.  So it would be more appropriate for the mod creators to add that information to the description themselves.

OK. We must get the word out!

z64555 fires up the presses before realizing he's out of ink

Eh, this may take some time.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.