Author Topic: Release: 3.6.12 Final  (Read 225684 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Release: 3.6.12 Final
We?  I think someone left the team :P

And we're not supposed to try to make it any harder though either.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I was on the team when all the talk was going on. Therefore 'we'.
This is not an appropriate thread for this.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I was on the team when all the talk was going on. Therefore 'we'.
This is not an appropriate thread for this.

I know man, just a little rib.

But the team will always be in a state of 'talking about it' because the problem itself is constantly evolving.  Now we find we can't easily build Win98 builds with VS2008+, that's new evidence on the table and possibly begs consideration.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
But the team will always be in a state of 'talking about it' because the problem itself is constantly evolving.  Now we find we can't easily build Win98 builds with VS2008+, that's new evidence on the table and possibly begs consideration.
Yes it begs reconsideration, and I am sure that before and after every release we will be reconsidering what platforms we want to support using which apis.  This is a natural part of a healthy project, I would be worried if we were not reconsidering the policy decisions ever.

I am creating a thread in SCP internal right now so that we can figure out what we are going to do about this problem. In the meantime, someone with a working VC6 can build a set custom binaries for anyone that is running on 9x.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
A few minutes of searching revealed that the Visual C++ 2005 redistributable pack is available for Windows 98, even if Visual Studio 2005 is not.  Maybe it will work for VC++2008 as well; I won't be home for a few days so I can't immediately check...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

No luck, the launcher was still complaining about a missing "MSVCP60.DLL" after installing the redist package. Then I manually downloaded the dll, but then the launcher quits with the generic "this application caused an error due to an illegal operation" box.

I also tried it with 3.6.7 and the launcher from back then, but that laucher is complaining about some missing directX9 component (directX8 is installed),  but the directX9 redist setup also fails with a generic windows error message.... GAAAHH, welcome to dependency hell.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok I didn't think the 2005 redist would help.  Try VC6 Redist from Microsoft's website.  I had to get an installer to extract this file, that's why it's hosted on the FotG site.  source

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ok I didn't think the 2005 redist would help.  Try VC6 Redist from Microsoft's website.  I had to get an installer to extract this file, that's why it's hosted on the FotG site.  source

No luck either, I'm afraid. Still fails with the "This application encountered an error due to an illegal operation, yadda yadda..."
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The launcher does that?  The Win32 launcher?  It was built with VC6, with the same settings it has had as far as platform compatibility.  I don't know why a system with the CRT installed wouldn't be able to run it.

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yes, the launcher causes that error. The fs2_open exe itself just produces a popup box stating that "this program requires a newer version of Windows".

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
I've been able to run the 5.5f and previous launchers fine, FWIW. I might have installed the VC6 redistributable earlier for some other reason, though.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. 5.5e is fine, but if I use a compatible FSOpen EXE with 5.5f, it'll error out and crash after I've selected it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:50:15 pm by Timerlane »

Ok I have a fresh install of Freespace on the computer, downloaded and install the 3.6.12 build, and now nothing works anymore, what did I do wrong this time?
or since I'm running Vista do I need to go back to 3.6.10?
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Need more info.

"nothing works anymore" could mean a hundred things, what actually happens.

If you can manage, run a debug build (the .exe with -d in its name) and post your fs2_open.log (which is found in FreeSpace2\data\).

Nothing as in Freespace itself, no ne of the .exe's (standard build SSE, or SSE2) will work on the launcher, no thing all I get is the busy circle that Vista has then it all just seems like I never clicked anything. Doesn't matter where I put the launcher either, I tried it from the Freespace folder, the desktop , hell I even placed it in its own folder in the "c" drive.
My retail FS and FS2 work fine, I'm thinking I need to redownload everything for 3.6.10
I installed FS2 and used the Turey installer like I always did. The launcher itself fires up but that.s all
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:23:11 pm by wolfen »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Launcher is designed to be in the same directory as the exe. So don't move it out of the FS2 directory. Second, try running a debug build. See if an fs2_open.log is generated.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

How do I run a debug I don't get any errors at all.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yea I read that before posting on here, its no help I have everything that I'm supposed to have

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Yea I read that before posting on here, its no help I have everything that I'm supposed to have

can you select the 3.6.12r or d builds in the Launcher or does it refuse to open the folder where they are located?

I tried selecting build r, build d SSE SSE2 all three none of them even start.

But I completely deleted Freespace and started over again ( again) I installed the original Freespace, it works fine, installed Freespace 2 and it keeps telling me " insert disk 2" even if disk 2 is in the cd drive if that helps any. Maybe my old copy of FS2 is gone bad? I know the game won;t run if I don;t have a the retail version (which mine is), but could teh disk be so old that its not installing correctly, and that causing my entire problem?
Cause right now all I can do is play the original Freespace

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Heh, surprised FS1 runs and FS2 won't.  Just put the Launcher 5.5f and the 3.6.12 builds from the SSE2 Inferno archive in your FS2 folder, run the launcher, select the fs2 3.6.12r build, and run it.  3.6.12 doesn't do the cd check like FS2, and FS2's check for the cd might not work on newer operating systems.