Author Topic: Forum game II: Forum game harder (Vague rule idea outline discussion thread)  (Read 41306 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Re: Forum game II: Forum game harder (Vague rule idea outline discussion thread)
Awesomeness.  :D

As you are well aware, all games need beta-testing, and this one's no different. Happy to participate. Though 20 weeks seems a bit long for just a test game; how about cutting it to 5 turns?

In any case, I'm submitting my resume for the Britannian Foreign Ministership.

"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game II: Forum game harder (Vague rule idea outline discussion thread)
I'll be happy to participate in this. :)

So the ministers are still part of the plan. That's great. Lepanto and I talked months ago how we'd like to be the CRF ministers. So I am hoping you'll let me be the internal one for the CRF. I believe there was an internal one and an external one, yes?

Count me in for any testgame no matter how short or castrated it is :D

Still 20 weeks is quite a long test run. How long do you expect the real game to go?
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Lorric

I should confess why my positive estimate of 2 weeks is completely shattered at this point. It actually comes down to a bit of 'insecurity' on my end. You see, during the first forum game, there were times where I kind of started feeling like it was becoming a chore to keep up with the game. While it was great seeing so many people involved in it and having fun with it, on my end it involved a lot of dumb math (and ho boy, I was so poorly organized). And I guess there's also the pressure of having multiple people expecting me to be on time with stuff (not always my strong suit!).
So it kind of comes down to me being afraid of starting the game and then burning out after a few weeks, which would suck for everyone involved. I do have a lot of stuff automated right now and neatly organized, so hopefully it will be different this time around.

About this, I never felt like there was any pressure being put on you last time by anyone, though your mention of IRC reminds me there might have been places I couldn't see. IRC, PMs... But if there wasn't, I don't think it's something you really need to worry yourself about if you need to take more time between turns on occasion. We seemed to get along fine last time delays or no delays and I think the whole thing was a great success.

Also last time you were plagued by repeated illness and you said you normally rarely get ill. So chances are that won't happen again.

It seems like a good idea though to do this kind of dummy run and see if it works and if you enjoy it. We all want you to succeed and I'm sure there'll be help available if you ask for it. I don't know if I'd be able to help too, right now you want us just to play the game, so here I am.

Anyway, I think Enioch said it best.

EDIT: Also, don't worry Spoon. There's no reason to apologise or feel bad - you're going above and beyond the call of duty just by trying to set up another game.

You're giving something to us for free, again, and we don't have any right to feel entitled to it.

Still 20 weeks is quite a long test run. How long do you expect the real game to go?

This is a very good question, and definitely shows up I think why you might feel the need to do this test run regarding burnout. If just the test run is going to take 5 months, then I guess the real game is going to be a very long term commitment.

Anyway, I hope it all goes well and am looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us... :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You guys are so rad  :D thanks for being cool people.
In that case I shall endeavour to get the rules up ASAP (need to edit a few things for the test game and edit a test game map)

I'll be happy to participate in this. :)

So the ministers are still part of the plan. That's great. Lepanto and I talked months ago how we'd like to be the CRF ministers. So I am hoping you'll let me be the internal one for the CRF. I believe there was an internal one and an external one, yes?
I merged the two ministers to just one, because after looking at it more closely, the minister for internal affairs didn't seem all that exciting.

As you are well aware, all games need beta-testing, and this one's no different. Happy to participate. Though 20 weeks seems a bit long for just a test game; how about cutting it to 5 turns?
This is a very good question, and definitely shows up I think why you might feel the need to do this test run regarding burnout. If just the test run is going to take 5 months, then I guess the real game is going to be a very long term commitment.
I don't actually have a good grasp on how long I want the game to run. Because I simply can't make a good prediction in my mind on how things will turn out. Because of the political aspect, things could turn into a huge war, or a very long stalement etc. Also due to the potential of tactical battles resolving with very few results (because of its prediction based gameplay) I think that 5 turns may be too little to get a good grasp on how things are (or it might be exactly enough, we'll have to see)
While a turn takes 2 weeks, its divided in two phases (intrigue and strategy), 1 week for each phase.

About this, I never felt like there was any pressure being put on you last time by anyone
True, you guys have been excellent. It's not so much direct pressure, but more the feeling of "I need to get this done or else I'll disappoint/inconvenience people".

Also last time you were plagued by repeated illness and you said you normally rarely get ill. So chances are that won't happen again.
I actually discovered why I was feeling so **** for so long, turns out I have grown kind of lactose intolerant over the years. And as a frequent chocolate milk drinking and pizza eater, I was just causing myself stomach aches and headaches, and I simply couldn't figure out why I was feeling like absolutely rubbish. Until I came across it on a internet search, then it all clicked. So since then I've been able to take measures, so while my bowels do still occasionally protest, I've been feeling back in top shape for the most part.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Good to know you won't be having health issues again.  :)

Will the admirals have anything to do during the intrigue phase, and the ministers anything to do during the strategy phase?

Also, since you're merging the ministry positions, Lorric and I came to the agreement that I'll be CRF Minister during the test game and he'll be CRF Minister during the main game. Unless anyone else desperately wants either position, of course.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:32:30 pm by Lepanto »
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Just posting to confirm what Lepanto said. We flipped a coin using this:

http://cgi.cs.duke.edu/~des/vct/vct.cgi

Lepanto found it. Brilliant site, any number of people can use it to settle things with random chance. Definitely one for my bookmarks. I hope this will be okay Spoon.

And I also am pleased you got to the bottom of your health issue. :)

What wasn't mentioned is since I won't be the minister in the test game, I'd like to be an admiral for the CRF please.

That is, unless there are other positions besides Admirals and Ministers?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Will the admirals have anything to do during the intrigue phase, and the ministers anything to do during the strategy phase?

Also, since you're merging the ministry positions, Lorric and I came to the agreement that I'll be CRF Minister during the test game and he'll be CRF Minister during the main game. Unless anyone else desperately wants either position, of course.
Neat, good to see you guys worked that out already.

Admirals give orders for tactical battles during the intrigue phases, while ministers can do diplomacy 24/7 with other ministers.

That is, unless there are other positions besides Admirals and Ministers?
There are no other positions besides those two.

Done the map for the short test campaign, working on the finishing touches for the rules right now.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them