Author Topic: Release: 3.6.14 Final  (Read 62737 times)

Offline s1rrah

Zacam will be updating the mv_root in the MediaVPs to no longer contain shaders now, as soon as that's done this build should work with the MediaVPs.  You can use the set in the RC9 post to override the ones in the MediaVPs now, but I'd just wait.   Don't forget to get rid of those shaders when you update the MediaVPs.

What sort of problems do the current MediaVP shaders represent? Reason being is I ran the new release last night with the MediaVPs and things seemed to run fine. I'm not too close to the various aspects of the MediaVPs function, though and so I might simply not know what to see missing.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Shaders in the current mediavps, while usable, were written for 3.6.12/3.6.10. There were quite a few changes in the FSO graphics setup that these shaders cannot exploit; The newer ones can do tricks like per-pixel lighting and shader effects.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As far as linux builds, it's to show that it does compile on Linux, for one, and there are a lot of 32bit Ubuntu users I'm guessing.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Then mark it as a 32-bit Ubuntu build. Don't call it 'Linux' when you mean one version of one distribution on one architecture.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

WOOHOO! At last! Congrats, all!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Aw Yiss

Motha

Fukkin

Updates

Awesome work, thank you coders!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Then mark it as a 32-bit Ubuntu build. Don't call it 'Linux' when you mean one version of one distribution on one architecture.

Please don't tell me what to do.  And anyway, if you'd doublechecked, I'd already indicated on each build set relevant info about the build environment.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

But distribution and architecture aren't "build environment", they're the actual operating system you're using. You're treating it like a footnote the same as XCode or MSVC version; it's not.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:02:18 am by PhantomHoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Facebook Wall spammed. Congratulations on the release. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Congrats! now too see if all the wip missions play the same way.

el hombre vicio...

Offline s1rrah

What's the facebook address?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

What's the facebook address?
http://www.facebook.com/groups/8990888471/

there is/was a google+ page, but it's been so long since i looked at it I couldn't tell you the address and HardLightPro is the twitter name
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

might be a newb question - do we only need to install the fs2_open zip in the first post? or is there any other things that need to be insstalled like mediavps. i read one of the posts before  which said the other files are "if" they are released but we can use all the media files from 12 and just install 14 the zip file from the first post. is that correct?

thanks!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
But distribution and architecture aren't "build environment", they're the actual operating system you're using. You're treating it like a footnote the same as XCode or MSVC version; it's not.

Ubuntu isn't going to change the major version of GCC or any build tools on their LTS release any time soon, so anyone can find out anything they want about the latest build environment just by seeing what's in the stable software channel.

Offline s1rrah

might be a newb question - do we only need to install the fs2_open zip in the first post? or is there any other things that need to be insstalled like mediavps. i read one of the posts before  which said the other files are "if" they are released but we can use all the media files from 12 and just install 14 the zip file from the first post. is that correct?

thanks!

As I understand it, you can run the new .14 FS2 open by itself just fine. You can also install the optional MediaVPs mod files which are mostly  compatible with the new release, excepting certain shaders (which are supposedly being currently updated and will be part of a MediaVPs update release).

Others can correct me if I'm wrong on that as I'm just now getting up to speed on everything as well.

For the record, I'm playing the new FS2 open release with the .12 MediaVPs and things look/play awesome.

Having a blast playing this thing again after (literally) ... not  playing since 1998/99 or so. Blows my mind how killer things look at 2560 x 1440 (all possible bling enabled) resolution when, back in the day, I think I was playing at 1024x768. LOL ...

:yes:

Ubuntu isn't going to change the major version of GCC or any build tools on their LTS release any time soon, so anyone can find out anything they want about the latest build environment just by seeing what's in the stable software channel.

...OK, but what I said had nothing to do with Ubuntu breaking compatibility and everything to do with the way your download links are phrased to make it sound like it's a generic Linux build that just happened to be compiled on Ubuntu. I'm just suggesting you put it under a separate header for 'Ubuntu'; right now you're just asking for people to get confused and end up on the support forums asking why your binary doesn't work.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So far, we have not had many of those. You are talking about a problem that, to the best of our knowledge, does not exist.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
...OK, but what I said had nothing to do with Ubuntu breaking compatibility and everything to do with the way your download links are phrased to make it sound like it's a generic Linux build that just happened to be compiled on Ubuntu. I'm just suggesting you put it under a separate header for 'Ubuntu'; right now you're just asking for people to get confused and end up on the support forums asking why your binary doesn't work.

And, to be honest, we don't know that it won't.  As long as the right libs are in the path, it's got a pretty good shot of working on lots of distros.  Being compiled on Ubuntu doesn't mean it won't work on Debian or CentOS or Arch.  Just have to get the right dependencies met, which there is a guide for.  But at that point you'd be close to compiling yourself anyway, which is why we probably don't get a lot of complaints...

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
So far, no problems (except when I'm playing FSPort, all my buddies somehow got more smarter which is baffling, sad to the point when the Plato actually survived getting to the jump node on Medium, despite not being supposed to and I had to shoot the Plato after three minutes of waiting).

And yay, for me, ships actually blow up the way they're supposed to (no "ghosting splits of the ship"). Well, I learned my laptop can't handle FSO's soft particles anymore (explaining why some of my smoke effects weren't rendering properly, not sure if that explains ghosting yet).
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The Plato surviving is something that I know for a fact can be reproduced as far back as 3.6.8 builds.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys