Author Topic: HTL Iceni  (Read 133088 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Hurry up, dammit, I wanna see a GOOD-looking Iceni. :P

:wtf:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nx

Hurry up, dammit, I wanna see a GOOD-looking Iceni. :P

While you're waiting patiently :p , why don't you test the model I uploaded for collision detection errors? Just point your fighter toward the ship and hit tab  ;)

Here I'll post a mission. You should be invulnerable :) Try to kill her without your weapons :D

[attachment deleted by ninja]
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
looks nice ingame but i have some points:

- i´m always able to look inside, when my ship has an exact 90° angle to the wall i´m hitting. then i can shoot through the whole ship....
- some flak and laser-turrets look like beam-canons

but thats it ;) runs smoothly on my machine.....no drop in framerate......

Offline Nx

looks nice ingame but i have some points:

- i´m always able to look inside, when my ship has an exact 90° angle to the wall i´m hitting. then i can shoot through the whole ship....

As long as you can't actually enter, it's not a problem (at least I can't fix it)

- some flak and laser-turrets look like beam-canons

but thats it ;) runs smoothly on my machine.....no drop in framerate......

Thank :V: for the crappy turret setup. I originally wanted to make turrets different based on their type, but that's not such a great idea...

Having used differentiated turrets for beams and blobs in the past, I actually have to recommend a generic approach.  The Iceni especially is a strange animal (it's weapons are bizarrely imbalanced from one side to the other, for one thing, and its configuration is never really firmly established) so it's hard to know exactly how it is used.  Remember that for mission purposes, especially with that ship, that it's likely modified in the mission files rather than the tables because its true power is never really adequately shown.
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Do you still have the version with the GTFf Cypher texturing?
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Nx

Do you still have the version with the GTFf Cypher texturing?

The Saphah class is currently a modified Iceni mesh without the Colossus textures. The untextured gray polygons should get a different texture.
For reference: the original Saphah
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Koth

Will you release it someday?
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I did the Saphah once, but I deleted it.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nx

Will you release it someday?

Iceni and Boadicea have greater priority. I have exams in January, so don't expect updates :(
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Koth

No problem I can wait.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
She looks absolutely outstanding with the new normal maps from DaBrain.  I'll be delighted when we see the last of the Boadicea, too! :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Nx

She looks absolutely outstanding with the new normal maps from DaBrain.  I'll be delighted when we see the last of the Boadicea, too! :)

Normal maps? What else happened while I was away :D
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Admiral Nelson

Ha ha, a lot. :)

DaBrain's Media VP betas have normal maps for the Iceni.  Check it out.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Admiral Nelson

I see the radius issue that the old model had is gone.  The Iceni used to get "stuck" passing under the Colossus in this mission.  You can also see the new maps and other effects at work:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If you're having collision detection issues with PCS2 (shots go trough faces, bounding boxes to small or too big), there is a way around it...
Convert with PCS1, preferably a version that doesn't chrash when trying to import glows. :ick:

looking mighty purdy b.t.w.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nx

If you're having collision detection issues with PCS2 (shots go trough faces, bounding boxes to small or too big), there is a way around it...
Convert with PCS1, preferably a version that doesn't chrash when trying to import glows. :ick:

looking mighty purdy b.t.w.

I have to convert using PCS2, PCS1 crashes - the funny thing is, the collision detection errors are gone. First I thought it was because I boolean united all the hull objects together before exporting (that's the file I uploaded), but I tried without doing that (too lazy to fix all the problems the boolean operation introduces for a simple test), and I couldn't find collision detection problems (yet).

Now, the reason I have to use PCS1 too is that PCS2 global import is borked. For some reason firing points (at least, haven't checked anything else) end up incorrect. PCS1, on the other hand, perfectly imports everything, and then it's also fine when opened in PCS2.

Edit: maybe it was just the pof exporter plugin causing bad geometry
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Nx

Please read this post: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,51229.msg1048614.html#msg1048614
I appreciate any help, but please let's not make other peoples' lives harder by making them try to reproduce a bug only to find that it's not their fault at all. The HTL Iceni pof has incorrect turret positions, because they are all taken from the vanilla Iceni. That will be fixed, but I didn't want to fiddle with it, since I was only testing collision detection.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:17:15 pm by Nx »
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
so is it a bug or not?
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Nx

so is it a bug or not?

It seems I fixed the turret locations, since the particle effect is positioned correctly, although the effect is a little bit small. It's much bigger on the HTL Deimos, but it's the same size as on the lowpoly Iceni. The glow is missing from every ship.
With mediavps 3.6.9, the particle effect size is just right, and the glow fits almost perfectly.
This is AAAf, btw.

Some screenshots (the last 5 in the album) http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Nx.devnull/Iceni
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Am I right to believe that the HTL Iceni is alive and well?