Author Topic: Crysis 2 multiplayer demo impressions  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: Crysis 2 multiplayer demo impressions
i'm REALLY ascared of the pc version being consolised and ruined.  i'm hoping it was primarily developed for PC and ported to console given crytek's mastery at PC games, but all the promotion seems to indicate the usual console -> PC direction.  i'd much rather have amazing gameplay and a story thats nothing special rather than the other way around.

as for multiplayer, really what else is there to do with a fps?  you can get creative with gametypes, but in the end it all really boils down to shooting each other.  i suck something awful at crysis 1 multi, but maybe i'll have a decent time at 2 if everyone is really as stupid as you guys are saying :P
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Having now played it a bit myself, I LOVE the MP.

It takes the solid basics of COD, and slaps a nanosuit of added depth to it, literally.  that thing makes the gameplay SO much more tacticool.
perks look good, though the vampire energy on kills "module" looks like it'd be very powerful for good players.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Could you even get that in the demo? I maxed out the ranks without unlocking much.

i'm REALLY ascared of the pc version being consolised and ruined.  i'm hoping it was primarily developed for PC and ported to console given crytek's mastery at PC games, but all the promotion seems to indicate the usual console -> PC direction.  i'd much rather have amazing gameplay and a story thats nothing special rather than the other way around.

Bad Company 2 did fine cross-platform, and it had consoles as lead. It was still a great PC game.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i know there are some good ones.  i'm enjoying the hell out of mass effect currently (speaking of which, is ME2 worth it or another disappointing sequel?).  i'm sure crysis 2 isn't going to be BAD, more that it's not going to be up to crytek's usual PC standard.  like FEAR 2.  in and of itself, it was a decent game, but felt like it could have been SO much better.  i could definintely feel console influence in it. after FEAR 1 and the expansions, it felt like it was pulling some punches.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Mass Effect 2 is a major step up from Mass Effect 1 in every area that really matters (namely, actually being fun to play), and although it's got a bit of shaky ending, it's one of those cases where it's the journey that actually matters. You'll experience some transition shock, but ultimately ME2 is the more rich and rewarding game.

Oh god, FEAR 2 was...so bad.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd still love to know just what people mean by this "console effect," since everyone seems to have their own personal definition of it. :p

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
it's hard to describe.  for me, it's a summation of little things, but most notably the combat often feels sluggish.  aiming feels really weird using a mouse when it was designed for control sticks.  sometimes instead of a dedicated rebalancing effort, cheesy nerfs are implemented to compensate for the more efficient mouse/keyboard controls.  for example, in the PC version of HALO, weapons were made less accurate.

graphics can feel lacking, or sometimes just different than what you normally see on a PC.  in the (rather limited) games i've played, the console ports go for a lot of the effects rather than the sharper, harsher style that pc-only has been pushing toward.  soft focus, film grain, bloom, lense flare (which was one of two things about Mass Effect that drove me NUTS, the other being the fking mako), etc. 

and then you sometimes get bonehead stuff where it seems like they didn't care to even TRY to make a decent PC version with crap like mouse buttons not working (after 4 or so patches to boot)

uhg.  i didn't mean to start this discussion again. :(

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd still love to know just what people mean by this "console effect," since everyone seems to have their own personal definition of it. :p

It's a simplicity of control scheme, but not in a good way; a feeling that the game should have more controls, smoother controls, that the number you have is awkwardly limiting your options or that they were not tested for ergonomic efficiency before someone flung this game out onto the market. It can also manifest in weirdnesses of the physics engine, like over-exaggerated ragdolling resulting from simplified calculations.

I admittedly have a rather strict definition of consolized, a lot of things accused of it wouldn't fall into that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I guess the problem is that I don't really play many modern games, so I haven't come across the sorts of console ports that would give me those sorts of experiences.  I mean, I did play the original Halo on PC, but other than the wonky steering on the Warthog (which is kind of equally wonky even with a controller, as I've discovered), I didn't experience any issues during it that I could attribute to it being a port.  I think my current playthrough of Alan Wake on the 360 (amazing game) is the only console-focused shooter I've played in a very long time, come to think of it.  It's funny, because that game does rely heavily on effects like bloom, but it works really well for it, since light and darkness are sort of its core gameplay mechanism.

Offline Kolgena

One thing that already bugs me about crysis 2 is that 1/4rd of the screen is taken up by the gun. That's more of a console thing than a PC thing too.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I really hated the draw distance on console, too. Hopefully it is something that won't be an issue on PC.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
that at least sounds like something that can and should be easily fixed by bumping up a value in a cfg file somewhere.  of more concern is the possibility that stuff like textures will be done to the level of the console instead of doing the best possible for PC and then toning them down to put on the xbox, or that some of the code might be specifically tailored to console hardware and come out wonky/subpar on PC.  we'll just have to wait and see on that. 

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Could you even get that in the demo? I maxed out the ranks without unlocking much.
you could look at a list of the modules somewhere in the options.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm now re-playing Crysis with the Particle FX mod, and real gattling gun mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFQp625FqI&feature=feedlik

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

my god that's beautiful.
Definitely picking up crysis 1 when I build my rig this spring for BF3

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs

I watched some of the newer videos and the author of that mod stated that that XFX2 is gonna be out in a week.

It's out for PC today.  Anybody else excited?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Gamespy, seriously  :wtf:

It's out for PC today.  Anybody else excited?
Not with a retail price tag of $60.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The multiplayer demo, fool.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL