Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675725 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Is that....ownage? Can we have it?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
YOU'RE THE 3,000th REPLIER! ;7

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Do I get a cookie?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Comparing pics like this against a retail Deimos always makes my jaw drop at the difference.  Here's to one of the greatest game communities evar!   :nod:
[/quote]
Though TBH it's not the best HTL model out there. Stuff like the Aten and Hecate (and a lot others) are a bit better.

Comparing pics like this against a retail Deimos always makes my jaw drop at the difference.  Here's to one of the greatest game communities evar!   :nod:
Though TBH it's not the best HTL model out there. Stuff like the Aten and Hecate (and a lot others) are a bit better.
Obviously. The HTL Deimos is way older than the Aten and Hecate, so it was made for less-performing computers than we have now.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah. Same with the Sobekistan.

[/quote]Yeah, its just that the Deimos is my favorite. :D

Sobekistan.

Sometimes, LOL's are needed. Sometimes, they are found.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

I see the Colossus and the Hades. What's that new ship that's getting hit by the Sathanas?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
@TrashMan:  *Hands up* Okay! Okay! Jus' gimme a minnit to put it in a box for ya.

@The E: Yes, but like the missile, I need to put it in a box. Aka .7z archive.

@Androgeos Exeunt:  That is probably the most complex, time consuming and frustrating ship I have made to date, but I will admit it was well worth all the bloodshed. Say hello to the Terran Super Juggernaut Amaterasu.

I threw an Orion, a Hecate, a Hades, the Colossus, a Hatshepsut, a Typhon, two Demons, two Ravanas and a Sathanas at it all at the same time. The only thing capable of rivaling it was the Sathanas.

I'm doing the fine tuning now. Expect official release soon.

Just for Kicks:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:57:00 am by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

:eek2:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nice...but the vasudan typhon texture on the top kinda looks out of place...what are windows doing on the roof anyway?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Nice...but the vasudan typhon texture on the top kinda looks out of place...what are windows doing on the roof anyway?

Skylights? :nervous:

Anyway, it's space.  Things don't have to be up/down.

Offline Mikes

Anyway, it's space.  Things don't have to be up/down.

It's a Sci-Fi convention tho! :)

And it's rarely broken, mostly only when someone wants to make a point of being "ultra-realistic".
The huge majority of sci-fi shows/games go with the "well we have artifical gravity so we can design cool starships with windows on the sides harr harr". ;) :grins:

Still a cool ship ya made... despite the window problem! (just kidding LOL)  :lol:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:26:27 am by Mikes »

I think FS has magnetic boots. Makes sense, seeing as artificial gravity is something nobody has even bothered to figure out.

The Ender books had anti gravity. That was cool.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think FS has magnetic boots. Makes sense, seeing as artificial gravity is something nobody has even bothered to figure out.
Look at the mainhall. No magnetic boots.

Incidentally though, their boarding parties do have magnetic boots as seen in Hallfight.

I'm tellin you. Custom made boots to balance mobility and staying on the ground (plus the crew would learn to walk just right) and then seatbelts when they're sitting down.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I see no seatbelts.

Also, there are a lot of objects that are simply sitting there whereas they should be flying around were there no gravity.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
No magnetic boots could ever account for the quite obvious presence of uniform acceleration as seen in the FreeSpace cutscenes showing ship internals. Aside from the hallfight scenario which is actually done pretty well.

For starters, forces caused by magnetic fields aren't linear. Steps would be very jerky and it would show in the general movements as well.

Secondly, the way you move and balance yourself is adapted to constant (gravitational) acceleration and the support from your feet. Magnetic boots are very different - they just keep your foot in contact with the floor within certain limit of force, after which the foot abruptly separates from the floor. This is not how your feet interact with floor on normal gravitational conditions at all, and it would cause very visible balance issues that people could certainly adapt to, but which aren't visible in FreeSpace cutscenes where people are standing on their feet (and sitting on chairs, which further supports the artificial gravity hypothesis).

Thirdly, they can open space-time vortices into subspace. It is hardly a stretch to just assume they can manipulate gravity or create an effect indistinguishable of gravity.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm tellin you. Custom made boots to balance mobility and staying on the ground (plus the crew would learn to walk just right) and then seatbelts when they're sitting down.

Just look at the FS1 mainhall. Sparks from the ship are falling down in an arc. Are they wearing magnetic boots too? :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]