Author Topic: It's large and has many weapons...(WIP)  (Read 17835 times)

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
Re: It's large and has many weapons...(WIP)
I'm going to spend more time on the bridge section, then work on the bottom.

"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

I know, I know. Sorry if my post was a little confuse. When I spoke about Vong Model, it's on general not specially for the SWC. I saw some models in Warlords, but are they truly the right models or not since we didn't have a Star Wars games/movies/series/or whatever you like in its era.

Funny, I was just about to refer you to Warlords :)
For everyone else who has been living under a rock however: SW Warlords for Homeword 2!

Chris, you made a bunch of critical errors, first, engines are two small, second the super structure on top isnt in a huge pit (only the bottom super structure is) and thirdly the scaling of the entire thing is off, the bridge is incredably smaller in comparison to the entire ship and also farther back on the ship. The super structures detail is much smaller then what you have shown in the latest picture, but i can understand why that would be hard for you to fix because of poly limits. I showed you a few pictures on MSN of how it SHOULD look in your final model.

For those of you curious on what I was showing Chris, heres one of the links I sent him :
http://www.starwars-holonet.com/holonet/dictionnaire/photos/ship_sds_4.jpg
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:02:48 pm by [DW]-Hunter »

You know there were only three (maybe four) SSDs made, right?  :wtf:

Do you have a source for this? The Empire could build a thousand SSDs if they wanted to. Hell,  a Death Star is easily worth tens of thousands of SSDs.

First, check out http://www.starwars.wikia.com and search "Super Star Destroyer."

Second, sure the Empire COULD have built thousands of SSDs if it had lasted as long as the Old Republic, but the Empire had only existed for about twenty years (20) by the time they finally developed the Lusankya/Executor.

Third, SSDs require SO MANY RESOURCES that they'd have to go intergalaxy to find enough resources.

Fourth, SSDs cannot, I repeat, CANNOT turn on a dime. One of the contributing factors to the end of the Executor was the mere fact that the secondary bridge couldn't take it out of the dive.

Fifth, just after Princess Leia became Chief of State, the New Republic had an easy time keeping the Empire in check. Why? (those of you who've read the Thrawn trilogy know this) Because all of the experienced officers died on the Executor, leaving the Empire in the hands of newly trained cadets.

Sixth, you don't need an SSD to keep citizens in check. Look what Grand Admiral Thrawn did with his, what, three ImpStar Dueces (Imperial Star Destroyer Mark II). As, major shift here, Colonel O'Neill said, This (Both an SSD and the Death Stars) is a weapon of terror; it is meant to intimidate your enemy. This (An Imperial Star Destroyer, any class) is a weapon of war; it is meant to kill your enemy."

Point taken?

Edit: IIRC Tempest, the bridge needs to sit much further aft.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:05:07 pm by spartan_0214 »

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
He's working on it :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
For the record, there were 14 Executor class Dreadnoughts:

Aggressor
Annihilator
Executor
Guardian
Intimidator
Iron Fist
Knight Hammer
Lusankya
Razor's Kiss
Reaper
Terror
Vengeance
Whelm

and one unnamed one seen at Fondor.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

what about the one you fly through and destroy in Rebel Assault 2?  Is that one named?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
That's the Terror
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Before to choose this only option, why don't you asked to SCP coder to override the actual code to support more than 110 sub object ? I don't know the difficulties since I don't have the source code and well C++ isn't my langage of predilection :p

If it's just a value to modify, so it would be easy to have a ship with more than 110 subobject. If it's not the case and it's based on some mysterious parameter. :/

IIRC, these values are all going dynamic anyways... if it's not too much trouble, couldn't there be two versions?  (Because one would just be an unturreted version of the other.)  Then you could have the turreted version for future use when 3.7 comes out.  Heck, IDK, though, they may have already made it dynamic in 3.6.9... let me check.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
A lot of stuff is dynamic already from what I've seen on the forums.  No real mention of enforced engine limits by anyone who would actually know (SCP team).  However, some tools may not be able to handle the creation of limit pushing ships.  PCS2 should be able to handle everything, but I don't know that anyone's tried anything that massive on it yet.  One thing I'm wondering is, how to you name turrets over 99?  you just start using a three digit system instead?  Or what?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Looky here.  (SCP Dev Roadmap.)  I posted there, maybe we'll get an answer...

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
Mesh is going to be sent off into post-processing now, where it will be transpanted with brandx's shield globes, then be textured and poffed.

58034 polygons.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Isn't this supposed to be able to fit a normal SD into its hangar bay?  I hear it was from a friend of mine.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If the hangar bay is more than 1600m long, and half as tall, and over half as wide, then yeah, I guess it could.  But I don't think it's that big.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
But this SSD is the "official" size, right?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If by official you mean 19km, yes, it will be.  See the Ship Database on the website for it and other ship sizes.

Mesh is going to be sent off into post-processing now, where it will be transpanted with brandx's shield globes, then be textured and poffed.

*many images*

I think I speak for everyone when I say: "Hubba hubba"

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
A lot of stuff is dynamic already from what I've seen on the forums.  No real mention of enforced engine limits by anyone who would actually know (SCP team).  However, some tools may not be able to handle the creation of limit pushing ships.  PCS2 should be able to handle everything, but I don't know that anyone's tried anything that massive on it yet.  One thing I'm wondering is, how to you name turrets over 99?  you just start using a three digit system instead?  Or what?

there shouldn't be any problem with three digit numbers on the turrets. The turrets don't even need turret in the name as long as they have someting similar to this:
$special=subsystem
$fov=180
$name=GunTurret
in the submodel properties they should be fine.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline maje

Great work so far on the SSD.  Really looks impressive and quite the intimidating MF.

As for the number of SSDs built before Endor, it really depends on what you're allowing as canon.  Rebel Assault 1 and 2 kind of exist outside continuity the same way X-wing Vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power Campaigns exist outside of continuity  (events contradict established universe so think of them as an AU).

If anything, I would consider picking and choosing what to accept and what to discard, but also one must consider the story that's being told.  At which point of the Galactic Civil War is the story centered around?  within the time spanning the original trilogy or post?  Is the story focused on reproducing events or situations already present, or will something new be generated (i.e. new villains and heroes created for the campaign, not just a retelling of say, the Black Fleet Crisis)?
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
I'm not sure what the main campaign will be but, I believe there is going to be a campaign or mini-campaign based on the rogue squadron books.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!