Author Topic: WIP Shivan Transport Azrael  (Read 21041 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: WIP Shivan Transport Azrael
Yeah, but let's avoid giant red glowing tubes.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I had no intention of putting giant glowing red tubes on the Azrael  :p

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
yeah don't. But do add details like on the Nephilim's textures.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Heh, yeah I never saw the edits. ;)

Ok, the overall impression I'm getting is heading in the right direction, but needs more depth and detail to it - mainly those areas that are just big bland surfaces. For the top of the stern - the textures there don't leave a whole lot of room for interpretation, so I'd just recess and extrude some of the larger panels (the remainder can be done via normal maps), and also bevel the sharp edges to remove the low-poly look. (In fact I'd bevel a fair few more areas with sharp angles for the same reason)

For the underside of the head and neck, I'd go crazy with interesting FS1-esque mechanical greebles inside and around the large flat thing sticking out of the neck. You could turn that into a kind of armour shell rather than the full volume it is now and put piping and stuff inside it:

For the big orange blobby section recessed in the back, I think that whole area could benefit from being recessed further and having organic greebles modelled in. Stuff like lumpy pipes, blobby extrusions and stuff.

With the boxes you're heading in the right direction also, though I would suggest deepening the recess of the orangy brown stuff and making it as rounded as possible. Oh and make the gray square extrusion hatch thing on the bottom of each one stand out more - possibly then  recessing that (to make it a rim) and bringing the hatch back out as a cone. Like this:

And finally, for that black middle section between the hatches, I'd turn all that gray area into a nice looking (ie, smoothly shaped) metal armour shell over the orange stuff, like crab armour or similar.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
:bump:

Christmas break is quite thoroughly over, and I'm back in classes. I'd do some more on this, but I don't have much time right now.

Ideas for the weird blobby orange/brown stuff in the back are still ... needed. For if and when I get back to doing something with this.

Shivan royal transport?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:59:35 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Galemp has taught me (but I doubt I'll remember for very long) how to use Blender to render! (*rhyme!*)

Here is a "higher quality" image.

Edit: or two.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:59:21 am by Aardwolf »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Looking good - certainly has a lot more depth to it now. :)

That chin hanging thing does still look a bit blocky - could you try turning it into two plates as I suggested? I think that'd fit quite nicely.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah I haven't done anything with it quite yet. That might work, but I'll probably have to give it some more thought either way. Also I notice Blender disregarded all the smoothing info I'm doing in Wings3D. Some of the things that are 'creased' edges in these renders aren't supposed to look quite like that.

I'm also still trying to make sense out of the orange stuff on the back. Maybe some sort of tubes (striated parts) and cylinders/spheres (rest)?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I like VA's suggestion for the chin, those pipes would merge well with the ones that are already done.

As far as the back orange stuff, why not leave it as is and just use a gnarled normal map to pick out the depth and texture?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Trying to think through some ideas (and bounce them off you guys, but my drawing may not be good enough to convey what I mean)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Still not sure if pipes are Shivan.

Pipes don't have to be straight. As in the Ravana! I really love those, they look as if there's blood flowing through them with the animated glowmaps. That might be nice to add on this one as well (IMHO).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
BAH. Just, BAH.

The FS1 Shivans have a unique and intimidating look, while the FS2 Shivans look like giant disgusting bug things that look idiotic. As an FS1 purist I seriously say that pipes like the Ravana's would completely f'ing ruin the model. :doubt:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And some of us thought that the pipes on the Ravana looked awesome.  Your mileage may vary. :p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Some ships like the Mephisto and Nephilim are quite clearly designed with pipes in mind. I think Aardwolf's and VasudanAdmiral's suggestions are splendid.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
BAH. Just, BAH.

The FS1 Shivans have a unique and intimidating look, while the FS2 Shivans look like giant disgusting bug things that look idiotic. As an FS1 purist I seriously say that pipes like the Ravana's would completely f'ing ruin the model. :doubt:

Would you please stop posting this over and over? There are people who consider FS2's Shivan designs concrete and formidable improvements, under all points of view. I.e. it's quite hard for me to prefer the Cain/Lilith instead of the Rakshasa and the Demon instead of the Ravana. FS2's Shivans are more alien and better designed, IMO.

So please don't post stuff like "bug things that look idiotic" and "<insert FS2 Shivan style part> would ruin the model" anymore. People might even feel offended.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Narvi

The Demon looks like an evil beetle. The bug motifs were always in the game.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
FS2's Shivans are more alien and better designed, IMO.
FS1's Shivans are more alien and better designed, IMO.

So please don't post stuff like "bug things that look idiotic" and "<insert FS2 Shivan style part> would ruin the model" anymore. People might even feel offended.
I'm entitled to my own opinion just like you are entitled to yours.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
FS2's Shivans are more alien and better designed, IMO.
FS1's Shivans are more alien and better designed, IMO.

I'm entitled to my own opinion just like you are entitled to yours.

Well I can't really argue with that, but I'll put my 2 cents in for the hell of it.

FS2's models were just more detailed, like elaborating on FS1, so for that I prefer FS2.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Let's get back on topic.