Author Topic: MVP Beams  (Read 17499 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I've always personally felt that MVP beams were too big, especially when, for example, the Sgreen and SVas are both twice as wide as an Aeolus. So I got off my lazy arse and made a quick .tbm fix for it.

You can get it hurr.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I have another .tbm that was uploaded about a week ago that has range fixes for the beams, is this included or separate?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Completely separate and unrelated.  The two should not conflict either.

Offline Kolgena

Just for clarification, can you tell us if these extra-wide beams were present in 3.6.10?

Offline Hades

I believe they were. Have anyone found any errors or have any complaints with the resized beams?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

When loading up FS2 it throws a complaint at me saying it found 38 errors in the tables and cannot guarantee smooth playing. When I removed your TBMs the error went away. I haven't tried the beams yet but if the thing is saying there are errors in the tables, are there?
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Hades

I get no errors myself, with several mods (WiH, mediavp 3.6.12, etc)
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
They might be conflicting with whatever mod you're running, even if it doesn't conflict with WiH or the 3612 mvps...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Well I had my Blizzard fighter in conjunction with the MediaVP 3.6.12 mod so it is possible my own mod added errors but I am unsure how many. Also I doubt there were any 'conflicts'. My mod didn't edit any beams for certain.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Might help if you posted an fs2_open.log.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Is it possible to post a few screenshots to show and give a comparison between the 2?

Offline Hades

I found out what the issue with the tbm might have been and I've fixed it. Link is the attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

Right, so I'm bumping this because I've actually got some screenshots of most of the Terran beams (for both mvp and my fix!)

I've pretty much finished the tbm, just gotta do some tweaks before it's ready for rerelase.

Now for the pictures:

SGreen, MVP:

SGreen, my resize:

BGreen, MVP:

BGreen, resize:

TerSlash, MVP:

TerSlash, resize:

LTerSlash, MVP:

LTerSasj, resize:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:33:43 pm by Had-- »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

BGreen is now far less impressive, the bigger ones were fine IMO, and the smaller one would probably look funny coming from the massive beam dish on the Hecate.
The LTerSlash looks kinda funny (though maybe I'm just used to the fenris/leviathan spouting a bigass beam)

Other than that good job :yes:
(´・ω・`)

Offline Kolgena

Did you tweak the explosion/beam pierce sizes to match? In one of those screenshots, you can see a pretty big disparity between the impact fireball and the beam width.

Offline Hades

Did you tweak the explosion/beam pierce sizes to match? In one of those screenshots, you can see a pretty big disparity between the impact fireball and the beam width.
That's one from the mediavps, not the test directory I use.

BGreen is now far less impressive, the bigger ones were fine IMO, and the smaller one would probably look funny coming from the massive beam dish on the Hecate.
Other than that good job :yes:
orly

anyway, I've revised the beams some, and made the ones besides the small beams a little bigger. And the picture above is before the enlargement somewhat.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

Yeah, that's about the lower limit of what doesn't look funny :P
(´・ω・`)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
These are good changes. I like them.

Offline Hades

Thanks, Battuta! :D

Anyway, I've attached the tbm for the revised beam sizes, just stick them in the tables folder under your mediavps folder. I'd like some feedback/suggestions on them, if at all possible please.

[attachment deleted by admin]
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hellzed

IMHO, the beam size is good (perhaps just a bit too small), but i think the flare around the turret is too small. I'd like to see a bigger flare, with some hi-res shine effect, not juste a unicolor plasma bubble.