Author Topic: Aquitaine Mainhall  (Read 6279 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sorry, nothing to show just yet.  :lol:

I need to work out an odd perspective problem and thought I'd get all your input!

Red circles denote what doesn't make sense visually. The blue line shows what I think is the path of that walkway. The green line is a possible path for the floor so that the perspective would make sense.

Help me.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Lorric

For what it's worth, I've always thought the walkway ends just to the left of the elevator, not that it carries on to the left of the screen.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Giving it close attention, the red circled area looks like a window of some sort. They are probably farther away from the hangar than it looks, and higher as well.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
If you make the red boxed area really explicitly a window (like have the datapad dude's reflection in it) then it might be clearer (ha!) that you are looking out into a different space and that the hangar's floor and back wall aren't supposed to line up with the floor and wall of the control center or whatever the room the camera is in is supposed to be.

Ninja'd

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It can't be a window though, look at the yellow bar on the upper level, it doesn't end and appears to go behind the so called window
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Whatever the heck  the random V modeller meant it to be is irrelevant, It's a window now! :p
 Let's avoid a wasteful debate on that image, being frank, just looking at it from the perspective we get gives me a headache if I focus on such (trivial) details.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Whatever the heck  the random V modeller meant it to be is irrelevant, It's a window now! :p
 Let's avoid a wasteful debate on that image, being frank, just looking at it from the perspective we get gives me a headache if I focus on such (trivial) details.

I disagree. It's the trivial details that help my remakes feel that much more authentic. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm not really sure, it seems as if it was somekind of big window like everyone said. Then they tried to make the back part look like a big hangar with some perspective to add a depth feeling, only that they ended up joining the two and the result looks kind of weird.

I'd say its better to go the window way, and then add a big hangar with a nice perspective showing the ships on a lower deck and far away.
el hombre vicio...

It may not be a glass window, but I'm pretty sure it's an opening looking out into the hangar. The hangar floor is maybe a level below the floor the tech room is on. It doesn't look like the catwalk goes through the window.

For the large red circled area, I'd like to agree and say that there's a separation of the hangar area from the hall area, the hangar floor probably being one or two 10-ft floors below, and much wider than the hall area.

As for the blue catwalk line, I'd also agree that it ends either at or behind the elevator, and does not continue into the hangar.

For the green line, are you referring to the floor of the hall dipping down when it meets the floor of the hangar, or are you thinking about the desk and the floor being behind it? I've always seen the options desk as being raised above the hall itself, looking down.

see attached:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Kolgena

^I think he means the floor of the hangar. I also agree that the catwalk doesn't continue into the hangar. Another reason why there shouldn't be glass is that the ship claw thing makes unmuffled machine noises when it shows up.

Yup. The view of the hangar is through a hole in the wall despite the unwieldy and awkward architecture. The hangar has lower floors, higher ceilings, and (much) further apart walls than the entire deck room. Maybe they're connected by a ladder that is out of view.

Or, it could just be another case of Volition not understanding how to properly scale things (wtf cockpit sizes)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

The green area suggests to me a window in the way the "frame" seems to continue along the floor and is of a style that would hinder efficient and safe movement across it.

as highlighted in the orange blob the railing seems to go into the frame rather than missing it again suggesting that the walkway stops there

judging from the perspective of the hanger and the objects within it especially the bomber I would think that the view point is only a 2-4 meters above the craft but with the scaling of the doors on the back wall i think it is safe to say that the wall is in fact a long way back in the order of tens to hundreds of meters
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

I agree with the green line Mjn drew, I agree with Scourge's schematics, I agree with the consensus in the thread that the hangar is just way bigger than the main hall, and that such coincidental lines in the perspective are just that: coincidences. The doors at the farthest wall in the hangar are just the best evidence ever.

(just to add to the consensus, my two cents, etc)

Offline Hades

If the railing stopped in the frame, it'd be stopping in the frame, not all the way past it. Not to mention it'd make exactly zero sense for it to be a window and for the catwalk to stop in the window frame (nor go past it). Same goes for if it were an airlock sort of thing.

The yellow bit on the right is where the bar would have to be going into for it to be stopping in the frame, but the yellow bar doesn't visibly stop there or anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:57:44 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

Tbh, I'm most confused about the placement of the Barracks door. It seems to open into a hallway built floating in the top of the hangar...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
tbh hades I agree about the railings stopping so far into the frame making no sense.  but at the same time that is clearly the point where it stops and there are frame pixels extending beyond that point so it cant go past.  the only other explanation that visually makes sense to me is that it stops short of the frame and there is some sort of gap between the end of the railing and the frame which in many ways makes about as much logical sense as the railings intersecting the frame 70-90% into the frame thickness.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hades

How is that 'clearly the point that it stops' considering we see it 'end' past the so called frame, though it's not actually ending considering it appears continuous?  I fail to see your point
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
If we all can agree that the mainhall doesn't make any sense, can we decide on what to change instead of what we're doing now?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, we can come up with reasons why some things should be kept, changed or assumed, such as:

I'd be in favour of the blast door separation / window separation.
Logically, there's no reason to keep such a big open space connected directly with another open space inside the ship, even if they hold somekind of relation on the tasks performed by ppl in those areas. The liability would be too high, you'd want to isolate zones with blast doors or something like that to allow fast seal in case of depressurisation I guess.
So in this particular point I'd definitely say the catwalk ends right before the window/door, just because it fits better the reasoning.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Personally, I'm a fan of the rooms being separated by glass. Reflections look nice. :-)