Author Topic: Series Resurrecta is the best 2020 Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi in ModDB's MotYA  (Read 12333 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Series Resurrecta is the best 2020 Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi in ModDB's MotYA
There's a strong German and American presence in the team, too.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No one's mocking you about your mod you're being mocked because you called the mildest of criticism hate speech. Like someone just hung a noose from your front porch. You hate to see it, you really do.

I kind of believe you are intentionally cherrypicking the things about the deal which you think are bad and building up the entire argument around them. I did not ask the admin specifically for "things SerRes ended up being good at because I need something to show off". I asked for statistics, which the site seems to be lacking for the reasons we stated I don't know how many times already, and it turns out I got more than what I asked for. The statistics seem very specific and go into the details simply because FreeSpace, and futuristic sims as a whole, are so niche the queries have to be performed accordingly. That's the whole story behind the "details".

So ignoring this whole ****fest that just kicked off, this thread is just you cherrypicking the results. I was genuinely under the impression that you had, you know, won something, and me not finding anything in the MODDB was a mistake on my part. Critique of that is not "hate speech" (imagine critiquing someone on HLP making you a fascist!), you are yourself cherrypicking and some people (like me) don't like that approach.

If I was going down that route, I would point out that you did a similar thing like claiming the trains run on time when they in fact didn't, but then I'd be comparing you to a fascist.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:51:58 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Joshua, you know I wasn't referring to you and if I somehow gave the impression that I was blaming you for anything, I apologize. Your contributions to this thread have been genuine. You and MatthTheGeek posted legitimate questions politely and got polite answers, as one would expect in public board like this one.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
 :banghead: Bruh...

SR is the best mod in the whole ****ing universe! It's way better then the best rated 3A games ever published! None of our assets is lower then 500k tris! Our missions are absolutely bugless! Our writing is better then Philip K. Dick! You guys should drop development of everything else, as SR will certainly outshine everything you make! Huh! You just should stop breathing, eating and even existing at all, because who needs such activities, when you can play SR all day long and your entire life!

- Anybody have seen advertisement like that? No.
- Do SR think about itself this way? No.

Because blah blah no obligatory "best mod" exist, because each mod is different, because modmakers have varied taste and different ideas, because mod diversity is what's the best thing here, because grass is green, because butter is buttery and because blah blah insert rest of the obvious stuff here.

- Can people see and read "2020 Futuristic Sim" capitalized, and coming with "ModDB's MotYA" in the title? They obviously can.
But pfff...
- Did we explain it before? Yes.
- Is this a reason to turn it into another drama with tons of ****posting? No.
- Is this an opportunity to turn it into another drama? Apparently for some people obviously yes.

Okay, lelz is fun but let's get to the merits.

From my perspective I feel little to no need to add something like "This is not selfish and arrogant statement of SR team, but annoucement of MotY contest results" because I don't see people here as incompetent. Also there is no arbitrary rule here that imperatively dictates that "ModDB sucks balls". If somebody is biased against ModDB, it's an issue of this very individual. Not mine, not rest of the team, and not those who actively browse or participy in daily ModDB life. I assume that some of the people here do care. If one does not, move along.

However the issues have been noted. Fortunately we have services of professional editor available, so our news will be redacted by coherent pair of eyes to avoid confusing situations in the upcoming future.

Now plz, calm down, return home and be a family people. Nyx signing off, returning to his shadowy lair of everlasting torments to forge more ships. Don't force me to come back here to kill another thread. Any interpersonal issues may be discussed somewhere else, as this thread diverged enough from it's original purpose.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

From my perspective I feel little to no need to add something like "This is not selfish and arrogant statement of SR team, but annoucement of MotY contest results"

But crucially, it isn't an announcement of MotY contest results. The MotY doesn't run with the categories mentioned in the OP at all. You can check these results for yourself, they are on the ModDB website. There is no mention of Series Ressurecta (or freespace, or "best scifi") anywhere.

That to me makes it an arrogant statement.

Joshua, you know I wasn't referring to you and if I somehow gave the impression that I was blaming you for anything, I apologize. Your contributions to this thread have been genuine. You and MatthTheGeek posted legitimate questions politely and got polite answers, as one would expect in public board like this one.  :)

That's beside the point. I think The_E made perfectly valid points and said them in ways I couldn't have done better myself. To dismiss that as "hate speech" just makes you look worse.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
From my perspective I feel little to no need to add something like "This is not selfish and arrogant statement of SR team, but annoucement of MotY contest results" because I don't see people here as incompetent. Also there is no arbitrary rule here that imperatively dictates that "ModDB sucks balls". If somebody is biased against ModDB, it's an issue of this very individual. Not mine, not rest of the team, and not those who actively browse or participy in daily ModDB life. I assume that some of the people here do care. If one does not, move along.

Speaking of the website itself, I've only recently learned about certain C&D notes issued by ModDB to a number of FreeSpace mods previously hosted on that website. I also learned that in one particular case, the mod was closed and nobody in said mod's team received a notification or anything on the matter.

While we all feel kind of meh with respect to these events, they don't automatically imply that this community should mass boycott the website, which I find very handy and reliable when it comes to storing stuff and graphical content. Its download options are now rather obsolete compared to Knossos' updates and FSO builds management, but all other functions are still being performed in a way that I find rather comfortable.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Aesaar

This approach to the core of this thread's topic is crossing the border between "legitimate questions/opinions" and "hate speech".

****ing lol.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's an early contender for best post of 2021.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I actually think it's kind of cool that a FreeSpace mod about (something) got any traction on ModDB at all. But that post is an absolute popper, it's going straight in my personal hall of fame.

Jiminy Christmas, it's no wonder Axem left.  Would ALL of you please grow the **** up and check your egos at the login page?

Talk about a tempest in a teacup...
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You'll have to trust me when I say that Axem still gets to enjoy the finest garmonbozia HLP produces, in carefully curated form.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
From my perspective I feel little to no need to add something like "This is not selfish and arrogant statement of SR team, but annoucement of MotY contest results"

But crucially, it isn't an announcement of MotY contest results. The MotY doesn't run with the categories mentioned in the OP at all. You can check these results for yourself, they are on the ModDB website. There is no mention of Series Ressurecta (or freespace, or "best scifi") anywhere.

That to me makes it an arrogant statement.
It actually does. And it was surprising for me when Mobius forwarded the PM from one of ModDB admins, as I found no public information regerding it either. Apparently admins provide detailed stats related to certain genres to leaders of mod teams.

Dunno why such stats are not public. Perhaps because they used to generate drama or something. For me it was mostly "oh, it's nice to know" thing.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
If I got it right, ModDB stopped providing detailed statistics the same year they stopped rewarding the top mods with prize money.

I think it had something to do with the extra "legal and bureaucratical" bit that was required by law whenever a mod received a prize in actual money. No more prize money, no more legal requirement to spend extra time issuing extremely detailed statistics.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Perhaps SR would have been in the top 100 if the marketing was better :v
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've been trying to animate the Bad Post all day, man where did all the good free gif makers go??

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Intend to just use Imgflip. Not great for gifs though.

Srsly though,  this thread is a bit.... Unstable.  I'm glad there's a noteworthy freeapce mod out there raising the engines profile.  Buuuut, can we all try loading the last save before hostility.

(pssst General, are you still in comms with Axem?)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
What the **** is even going on here?  I look at Discord and see allusions to idiocy, I look at reported posts and see my inbox full of idiocy, and I can only conclude the thread is full of idiocy until there's time for a few moderators to read it and get a handle on it.

So....locked.  Until a couple of us have time to read it.

It's 2021, people, can we not leave the bull**** in 2020 where it belongs.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
For the record (I speak on behalf of the entire team), I agree with the current lock as a temporary measure meant to settle things down for a while. However, future and polite discussions should be allowed in this thread.

Many contributors have posted valid comments in a polite way and received equally polite answers - that should be allowed to happen again once the situation is settled.
The Lightblue Ribbon