Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175645 times)

Offline Ozzard

• http://www.ozzard.org
Originally posted by karajorma
Little confused about the torrents not working though. I even tested then a couple of days before posting that and only one of them was down at the time.

... and, on re-testing them now, they're all up.  Oh well.

They all appear to have the full, 2.2Gbyte, 3-CD goodness of the retail game, whereas I appear to have the only torrent of the mere 700 Mbytes or so of vps to get the game ex-cinematics.

Ozzard

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We've needed one of those for a while though :)

It's all well and good putting up a torrent of the full game but with HotU you can download FS2 and play it now while waiting for the rest to download. I'm sure that 56kers appreciate being able to do that :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Evan

Hi

erm in short i have confused myself trying to understand this topic.  can someone simply explain how and where i can get FS2 (I have the HOTU version and want to upgrade how i do it i dont really mind)

Thanks

Evan

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You actually have several choices (When I wrote my HotU FAQ this was the only one).

1) Get the VP files from the FTP linked to on the first page. The FTP is busy but it has all the files you need to turn HotU into a full version. You'll need an FTP client as whatever web browser you use probably won't be up to the task.)
2) Get the files using the EDonkey network using the links on the first page. (You'll need an eDonkey client already installed like EMule)
3) Get the torrent Ozzard about 4-5 posts above this one and download the VP files using a BitTorrent client if you have one.

If I've confused you by going on about clients then those three probably aren't the best methods for you. Instead do one of these.

4) Ditch HotU completely and download all 3 FS2 CDs from Swooh
5) Ditch HotU completely and download a 1 CD version which doesn't have the cutscenes unless you use FS2_Open from this thread
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 10:56:25 am by 340 »

Offline Evan

thanks for that (now i just need to wait for what 20 or so hours)

I downloaded all 3 iso from Swooh. But now how do I install the game?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\autoexec.nt
When I load it up in alcohol, it says the system file is not suitable for running msdos and microsoft windows applications, choose close to terminate the application.

I tried to find the file listed, but it's appearantly not on my computer. :eek2:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
First, it's a system file so search probably won't turn it up unless you speciffically tell it to search hidden and system files.

Secondly, this is a known problem with a lot of Windows installs.  Google that file and see if you can't find a copy of it online somewhere to replace the one that you may or may not have on your machine.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Thank you very much, I found a replacement via google.

I am new to thiese boards so all i must say is thanks for everyone putting up a lot of information on this game. I owned it a few years back and my copy got well lets just say it has seen better days. Well i downloaded all the iso's and started the standard installation but everytime i tried to install off the 3rd iso i kept getting a error message and the installer would fail. Am i doing something wrong. If anyone can help It would be appreciated. :-)

Offline Ozzard

• http://www.ozzard.org
Error during installation from ISO
There are probably better threads for this conversation, but... could you tell us any more about what the error message is, how far through the installation you get it, and which version of the ISOs you have (how and where did you get 'em from)?  Give us something to go on here!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by spidersynth
I am new to thiese boards so all i must say is thanks for everyone putting up a lot of information on this game. I owned it a few years back and my copy got well lets just say it has seen better days. Well i downloaded all the iso's and started the standard installation but everytime i tried to install off the 3rd iso i kept getting a error message and the installer would fail. Am i doing something wrong. If anyone can help It would be appreciated. :-)

Sounds like you've got a dodgy 3rd CD. Redownload it. If that doesn't work what you should do is download MatthewPapa's 1 CD version from this  thread.

Offline Evan

well i really should have posted this earlier but i have been addicted to actually playing the game i cant thank you guys enough its a great game

Evan

Ok that one cd install works thanks. And the reason the other one wasn't working was my 3rd iso installer wasn't right the Data file lhad no bytes in it. Thank you for your help.

Offline Fractux

Spider, was the bugged 3rd cd the one on the first page?
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

OK
first off, you guys rock, i've been looking for FS2 for like 3 years now, because the first one owned me. Secondly, these forums have been invaluable to me for getting the game, so kudos

BUT, i've been trying to download the emule vp files for some time now, and i have about 701 megs out of 730, and for one reason or another, it decided to not work anymore because of a firewall, it says i have a low id, any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm soo close!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Low ID is a temporary Emule problem unless something has changed on your network recently. Simply connect to a different server and it should go away.

Even if it doesn't Low ID just means that it will take a little longer to get the file once you can connect.

Right on!
i got it to work and now have the working version with the vp's and all, awesome game!

But another question:
Is there anywhere out there where i can pick up the briefing voices and other misc voice and sound files so that i don't have to listen to microsoft SAM while playing??

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
They weren't in the VP pack?

IF you're playing a mod campaign you're out of luck but the VP files you're downloading should have all the voices in there for the main campaign. Check your FS2 folder and see if you've got a file called stu_fs2.vp.

If it does then the problem is most likely that you forgot to do the thing with the data folder.

From my FAQ
Simply downloading a VP file and putting it in your freespace2 folder isn't enough to make the files work though. The HotU version contained a series of dummy files to replace the files that weren't included. The problem is that these dummy files have a higher priority than the ones in the VP file so they get used instead.
The easiest thing to do is to download all the VP files first. You then put them in the Freespace2 folder (overwrite or remove the versions already present). Then clean out all the subfolders in Freespace2\Data\ with the exception of Fredocs and Players. You can remove the TangoA and TangoB folders at this point too.

sweetness, that was it, i hadn't deleted the files yet, thanks!
it was kinda annoying to hear microsoft SAM saying "check your six," the game is much better this way hehe