Author Topic: Orion Style Mainhalls [NEW BETA THREAD]  (Read 30179 times)

Offline sgparry

Re: Orion Style Mainhalls [NEW BETA THREAD]
These main halls are fantastic - Thanks mjn.mixael, as always you excel at breathing new life into something long since thought dead. Looking forward to the remaining cut-scenes too - Awesome so far.
Dumb questions:
  • What are the significance of A and B for each of Galatea and Bastion? Is A intended - for the main campaign and B for ST-R?
  • In previous versions of the main fsport, to have different main hall music, you have to create additional main halls. Is this still necessary or is their a better way?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
While recreating the mainhall, it was brought up that FS1's Galatea mainhall always featured the Herc, even when the Herc wasn't built yet. So I made an alternate (B) Galatea version that featured an Apollo for that chunk of the campaign. The same is true of Bastion. There is one little story arc where the player is on the Bastion before the Herc is built. That version of the Bastion contains Valks on the racks instead. So you have Galatea-A and Bastion-A which match the original retail ships and the Galatea-B and Bastion-B which feature alternate ships.

As for question 2.. you'll have to ask the FSPort team. I'm not longer a part of it and have no idea how they intend to implement different music (or mainhalls for that matter).
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mpez

Ok, if we're into dumb questions, here's mine. Would it be possible to convert the mainhall model and place it as an actual submodel of the orion in the game? I suspect it's not as simple as it sounds (a need to retexture the whole thing? remodelling it because I obviously don't know something about FS modelling? the cables are too thick?) - I'm just curious if it's possible.

Even if it was possible, it would be completely impractical. These models were not designed to be rendered in real time, FSO would probably choke trying to do so.

Offline Mpez

You mean, they have a gazillion of polies? Ok, that probably is an answer to my question.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Pretty much.  It would be almost infinitely easier for someone to whip up a game-appropriate submodel from scratch, if they wanted to.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ok, if we're into dumb questions, here's mine. Would it be possible to convert the mainhall model and place it as an actual submodel of the orion in the game? I suspect it's not as simple as it sounds (a need to retexture the whole thing? remodelling it because I obviously don't know something about FS modelling? the cables are too thick?) - I'm just curious if it's possible.
Pretty much.  It would be almost infinitely easier for someone to whip up a game-appropriate submodel from scratch, if they wanted to.

@Mpez: Just FYI, a game-appropriate mainhall submodel has been done with the MediaVPs Hatshepsut model and the FS2 Vasudan-style mainhall.  Fly into either of its fighterbays.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline Arpit

@Mpez: Just FYI, a game-appropriate mainhall submodel has been done with the MediaVPs Hatshepsut model and the FS2 Vasudan-style mainhall.  Fly into either of its fighterbays.

Don't know actually (so correct me) but even the Colossus (in the next mediavps  ;) ) is going to have a mainhall-like fighterbay, i.e. you would see Herc IIs placed on it.

Offline Mpez

Yeah, I know (and I immensely appreciate the fact that somebody took the time to do it). The Arcadia has also a neat hangar bay.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The best person to ask about getting a modelled hangar in the Orion would be Hades. He's currently working on a new HTL model.

Also, I'm finally getting around to creating the Misc Anims for Soyakaze and Krios. Hope to have a V1.0 release for those 2 in a couple weeks depending on render times.

Offline Arpit

That's great. :D

Also AFAIK you can remove the build from your post. They do work with a recent nightly build or 3.7 RC builds.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

What's new? More on the way.

Offline Luis Dias

O_o

Offline Mpez

Awesome!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I see dudes in the hangar, stealing Zeuses.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Needs thicker pipes... This ruins 'errythin!!!!!  :hopping:

Hahaha jk! Great work mjn! awesome stuff! :yes:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Tomo

There really is No OSHA Compliance on GTVA ships, isn't there?

You'd have to be near-suicidal to climb into those Loki cockpits!
- Or even just to fit the ladder in place...

The originals were all like that of course, it's just so much more obvious from this angle.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thanks to new code features, I'll be re-rendering these. Get your complaints in now because it's a great chance for me to make changes.

inb4cablesaretoothick
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:28:13 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The brackets holding the cables to the floor are too thin!

Offline Lorric

No! Don't you see?! What's important here is the thickness of the glass!!!