Author Topic: Request: Old Engine Client  (Read 11486 times)

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
Request: Old Engine Client
A simple Fs2.exe with the old engine

- all the new enhanced visual stuff disabled
- BUT with Kazans multi support, the new sexps, etc.

Why?

I use still a V5500 (yes, I love that classic) and vanilla Fs2 ran pretty stable and fast on it, I can't say the same of the new engine...

I don't care at all  for shine or glow or whatever feature there is now possible, I simply want to play this game with my mates online. In ancient times I had all settings on low to get more speed in Quake multi... that should tell enough :D

well, and finally I want to play my now "valid" missions, took me some years to see that happening...

thx, for any reply there may be
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Isn't it possible to turn off all the features in the launcher?

It is, but there still are issues with speed then.

Dunno if this is even possible, because of all the new SEXPS and stuff. Perhaps the old render engine can be put back in, but I am not sure.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Cetanu

I tried that already, even with -nohtl
- the new clients crash right away (while loading a mission or when you enter it)
- only working version I found so far (above 3.6) fs2_open_C06222004 doesn't crash, but framerates are sub-playable and lightyears from the vanilla engine

I just hope that common sense prevented the deletion of the old engine from the SCP files, so that a "downgraded" client is still possible to do
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 09:39:03 am by 556 »

Offline Inquisitor

Probably possible, but hard.

Would require going thru CVS and all the changes.

Find someone who knows C++ and is willing to spend some time, and I will give him or her everything they need to do it. All the old code is there, we have everything from the start of the project. Someone will have to look thru it and determine if that probable is a likely.
No signature.

Offline Cetanu

Well, since I have no one knowing C++ at hand I am doomed then...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well we still have the origonal code, if there was enough demand I supose we could dp this.

but it woud take quite a bit of demand.

did you say you were useing a voodoo card?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Re: Request: Old Engine Client
Originally posted by Cetanu
A simple Fs2.exe with the old engine

- all the new enhanced visual stuff disabled
- BUT with Kazans multi support, the new sexps, etc.

Why?

I use still a V5500 (yes, I love that classic) and vanilla Fs2 ran pretty stable and fast on it, I can't say the same of the new engine...

I don't care at all  for shine or glow or whatever feature there is now possible, I simply want to play this game with my mates online. In ancient times I had all settings on low to get more speed in Quake multi... that should tell enough :D

well, and finally I want to play my now "valid" missions, took me some years to see that happening...

thx, for any reply there may be

I second this as well. Anything to up me FPS :p
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Cetanu

Originally posted by Bobboau
did you say you were useing a voodoo card?

yes

the vanilla render engine allowed 4x Antialiasing what made 640x480 already a beauty - I never liked the tiny texts or small HUD graphics of 1024x... :)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I could imagine that a couple of people with older systems would like to be able to play Freespace 2 Net and newest mods, which make use of new SEXPs and other new features
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Inquisitor

Find me folks to help do this. The people currently working on the SCP have quite a bit to work on as it is.
No signature.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I nominate taylor. :D

Seriously, I'd really like this too.  I'm willing to help out with this in any way I can (short of actually code it... the graphics engine is not in my area of expertise :().

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
I think too that you should study an fps friendly version for multiplayer, but I'm not sure if you should use a non HTL version...Wouldn't be there problems with the pof limits of the new ships? and wouldn't be an HTL engine faster than a non HTL version anyway, once disabled all the features?

I do agree with Cetanu. ! ! !

All of the new features of the SCP may be great, however,.....
If the Pilots that flew FS2 are not able to fly with the same hardware and configurations we all are missing a great opportunity for the entire FS2 community.

Without meeting this very Basic Necessity, (just only replacing the PXO logon problem / FS2.exe), is very similar to building a new road and only allowing ppl with a 2009 or newer auto to drive on that road.  Yet another way to state this is to build a new auto that forces every one to relearn how to drive again.  I do not believe this is a wise idea for either case.

Now I do know that there are many pilots from FS2 that are waiting to fly FS2 again…:
as it was with little or very minimal changes to their configurations. ( read that as programming NooBs).  Most are not as verbal as others. many don’t even know of the SCP.

So to finish I do request that the SCP team address this fundamental issue.  How to minimally bring FS2 back on line then integrate the extra features.  This way the SCP team will gain the support audience that any team needs and the FS2 flying community gets more pilots flying quicker.

So Again,  I do agree with Cetanu and ask how can the SCP team quickly and simply integrate what it has learned and provide the FS2 community with a quick, simple, and stable method to get as many pilots as possible flying again.

Colonel Crist-BDHR
http://165thbdhr.com
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 02:58:12 pm by 2026 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nice to see all the multi players appearing over here :D

BTW are any of you working on new multi misssions now that new stuff can be added once again?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
You don't have the mediaVP files installed, do you? Even if you don't enable any of the new effects, Freespace 2 will still automatically pull things out of the VPs...this can cause slowdowns since the effects/textues/models are more detailed. Plus, nothing besides mv_core should be necessary to get everything fully working (It's still optional, but in the newest builds you'll be missing the jump node... :doubt: )

You could also try disabling 'use large textures' to speed things up/ make them more reliable.

Personally I think it would be a better idea to try to work out the bugs with the current engine / optimize it rather than go off on a new project which will require constant maintenance to keep it up to date.
-C

Offline Cetanu

@CC thx, for showing up

@Karma
Voodoos don't have HTL... so I asked politely for the compatible old render engine in the first place
Missions and ships created for vanilla FS2 don't need HTL either
Any problems back then had their origin in the network code, the PXO servers and the lack of support from in general

@WMCoolmon
tried all that, even with only the core.vp present the compatibility problems remain (see above)
Personally I think it would be a better idea to try to work out the bugs with the current engine / optimize it rather than go off on a new project which will require constant maintenance to keep it up to date.

Anyone wanting high-poly models and other eye-candy sure will need the new render engines, no doubt about that... I simply care for the online part of this game (last time I played seriously singleplayer was in 1999), that's why I asked for what was already in the original game before it got removed: the old render engine :)

@karajorma
I guess I would have more interest in creating new missions if I could play them at all ;)

Offline tom

heya all!

Here is another FS2 fan. I was really happy when I heard about the start of FS2 Open, but I was disappointed seeing it not running on my computer because I also use an old outdated voodoo card.
There's nothing to add to what CC and Cet said.
The spirit of FS2 is not to have an up to date graphics engine like other modern games, no it's the gameplay, and for me this worked wonderful, using a configuration with a "less sophisticated" voodoo card.
I think, changing this programm is keeping the best of it (gameplay, graphics engine) and adding necessary (new) features (alternative for pxo support).
I would be glad if it's possible to create a back-to-basic FS2, so that the whole FS2 community will be able to have FUN!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Goober5000
I nominate taylor. :D

Bastard. :p

Believe it or not this isn't the first time I've been asked about doing this same thing.  Some have asked for getting this in the icculus.org code.  It's on my rather long todo list so if someone else wants it I don't have a problem with that.  Otherwise it will get done but there is no telling when I'll get to it.  Before I even start working on it though I'm going to wait until it's been in full use for another month or two and Kazan gets any new problems worked out.

Hmm? didn't bobbaou say, a long time ago, something to the manner of that HTL should be benificial even with non-htl cards?