Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 60958 times)

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
So all you actually do is shoot and find the right console to solve your problems? How convenient that there is always a console nearby, which controls some device that can solve your specific problem...

So all you actually do is shoot and find the right console to solve your problems? How convenient that there is always a console nearby, which controls some device that can solve your specific problem...

More! You can even use them and know HOW to use them to do specific things. Just with your omni- tool. Interacting with alien devices basing on some unknown technology. They'd better come with a good explanation on this one. Like Shepard's Prothen Cypher or something.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The OmniApp store?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I just realised how spoilt I am by Witcher 3 regarding writing and world-building...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

I dunno doesn't look all doom and gloom.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
But will the player be able to choose its own custom RGB ending?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Do I have to have a RGB PC to play ME:A? Is my non-RGB PC compatible with the RGB Andromeda? :nervous:
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Does my HDR display increase the number of endings?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
New training hub video is up.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

You may also try the first 13 minutes of the game. No worries for spoilers, the video covers only the stuff that has already been released for the public knowledge. What caught the most of my attention was the music.

Offline Luis Dias

That dialogue.

Those facial animations. Ryder's eyes look like Smeagol's.

Offline Mikes

That dialogue.

Those facial animations. Ryder's eyes look like Smeagol's.

Oh my god ... I fully expected him to blurt out "MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSS!" any second LOL.

That's gonna be fun:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Well at least the player walking animation looks a little more natural.  I remember always staggering through the original Mass Effects half expecting to look down and see Conrad Verner hanging on my leg.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
At least we're not immediately killing the player. I can't say I'm thrilled about a space cloud but here's hoping the writers had a little fun and had some freedom. I've started working on my own series retrospective and looking at ME1's first 5-10 minutes it's a shame none of the other games started off as elegantly. Andromeda seems to be a step in the right direction but I miss the slow burn of the first game.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Luis Dias

I'll never be not weirded out by that No Man's Sky distance meter ripoff icon.

Meanwhile, Hello Games is about to Release the "Path Finder" upgrade of NMS. Right.

At least we're not immediately killing the player. I can't say I'm thrilled about a space cloud but here's hoping the writers had a little fun and had some freedom. I've started working on my own series retrospective and looking at ME1's first 5-10 minutes it's a shame none of the other games started off as elegantly. Andromeda seems to be a step in the right direction but I miss the slow burn of the first game.

Yes. It seems that Mac Walters cannot start a game without going Michael Bay on us. Sigh.

Offline Mikes

I just realised how spoilt I am by Witcher 3 regarding writing and world-building...

F*** yeah, Summon the b*tches!!!! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckWQEt0cxEI
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:28:23 am by Mikes »

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Honestly the Witcher series is proof Bioware is no longer sitting on the throne when it comes to big budget action RPGs. Here's hoping they were serious about taking cues from the Witcher 3's side quests (which were some of the best stories I've played in a fantasy game).

I'm not above Michael Baying the **** out of an opening (hello Freespace 1 and 2) but I like it but up against something else. ME1's opening was great; fishy circumstances surrounding your assignment then everything goes FUBAR after seeing a mysterious cuttlefish shaped space ship. Games and explosions work well but unless there's some buildup or real panic they're worthless. ME2 has one of my least favorite openings in a game while Freespace 1 has one of my favorites (and yes, I'm incredibly biased but it's my opinion).

I think the concept in Andromeda works but having it be a space cloud is doing no favors. I get that the galaxy is supposed to feel dangerous and alien but space cloud is about the least interesting ways of doing that and has been done to death thanks to both good and terrible episodes of Star Trek. Maybe they're going back to Star Trek inspiration though. Who knows? The sibling cryo-pod thing felt way too predictable but I'm sure it's a cost saving measure which I get.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

TW3's worldbuilding is nothing special (it's basically 'Tolkien ripoff that thinks it's clever'), it just has really really good character writing (even when its characters are died-in-the-wool Mary Sue bull****).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Witcher III's world building is special in the sense that it is internally consistent, extensive, and written at higher than a sixth grade level.  This makes it superior to 95% of fiction settings on those criteria alone.