Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 60961 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
The amount of salt over Bioware's character models is astonishing.

We can start salting about the dialogue if you prefer.

(On the other hand, if "Man!Ryder is too small" is the worst offence ME:A commits, well, I'd say it's fine)

Don't mind me, I'm just compiling great content from an upcoming game ;)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The amount of salt over Bioware's character models is astonishing.

We can start salting about the dialogue if you prefer.

Sorry, I just find it hilarious that apart from genuine issues (like dialogue writing, general animation quality) "Man!Ryder is too small!" and "Woman!Ryder is too ugly!" are also on the list of gripes about this game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

When you can start to make a list of the problems of a game like this months before its release, you know the meme generators will be in full swing when it actually ships.

Regarding dialogue, I've cut it a bit of slack since I've learned that the particular peeebeeeeee's loyalty mission was immensely edited to take out relevant dialogue, like Ryder letting his anger at peebee for doing this **** go. My guess? It will be a horrible mess anyway, but I prefer to have that kind of mockery and criticism done when we can't be told that we're not getting the "whole context" or whatever else excuse here.

So I'm left at mocking these things.

And these things are following a pattern. A pattern of a direction in game and character design that is both lazy and seemingly targeted at a younger, naive, childish audience. In this context, maleRyder being a manlet for his proportions fits the pattern, femRyder being a lazy attempt at taking a model's face and Dysneyfying it also fits the pattern. The campy dialogue. The character designs.

And I still find the amount of stealing from NoManSky hilarious. I actually think they managed to escape a lot of bad blood there by NMS failing so hard.

Offline Aesaar

Yet the Witcher series always managed to bring the whole world alive through it's story and characters, while Skyrim mostly comes across as a Themepark with little depth to it's stories, more like an MMO without multiplayer, than an engaging singleplayer game.

They're different games. They focus on different things. My number 1 complaint about TW3 is its worthless fanboys who feel the need to validate their enjoyment of it by ****ting on every other game ever made.

Going for a new record for the number of common flaws in arguments in a single sentence, eh? ;-)
It's really true though.  Skyrim and TW3 try to achieve different things.  TW3 is about telling you a story, Skyrim is about making your own story.  The games present their worlds in ways that facilitate what they're trying to accomplish. 

I don't understand why TW3 and Skyrim are so often compared.  You want to compare TW3 to another AAA game?  Compare it to DAI.  You still get to praise TW3 and **** on another game, but this time the comparison (and the ****) makes sense.  DAI has all of TW3's problems (and then some) and none of its strengths.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:58:52 pm by Aesaar »

That entry..... I already LOVE this guy  :lol:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

I just came here to post that. I generally trust John's opinions, so hmm.

Offline Luis Dias

I miss good bioware games.

Offline Mikes

I miss good bioware games.

Obsidian games are the new good bioware games these days  :nod:

Never mind me and my opinion, but a i had such a blast with PoE and Tyranny that I can t help but mention it. Those games however don't even have facial animations that one could  critizise  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:05:32 am by Mikes »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Oh, look.  Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Oh, look.  Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I'm looking more and more justified in my total apathy for this thing up until release. There's only so many times I'll put out hope for a company with the EA facehugger on it.

Also Mikes:

Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
There's only so many times I'll put out hope for a company with the EA facehugger on it.

0 is the correct amount of times, but it's acceptable that it has to happen to something you love first before you realize it.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Idly wondering if we can buy a multiplayer-only edition.

Seriously, multi was the single best thing about ME3.  It was an absolute (if not entirely polished) gem and that's the only reason I've been excited for Andromeda.  That said, not paying $80 for half a multiplayer experience.  That review is very uninspiring.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
0 is the correct amount of times, but it's acceptable that it has to happen to something you love first before you realize it.

At this point I'd agree with you, but back before EA ****ed up Dead Space and allowed ME1 to exist, things were different. I might have disliked ME2 but it wasn't awful. Then ME3 happened and Bioware died in my eyes. Then people said DA:I was good and I decided to believe people against my better judgement. It's going to take the entire game community with no dissent saying that Andromeda is perfect for me to consider believing it.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I am not entirely certain that human beings were involved in the production of that scene at all. It could be all procgen.

this is looking like such a total trainwreck that it is going to be very funny watching the people who got too invested in the hype train defensively say "oh well I enjoyed it"
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

jesus christ it's astonishing

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
"I am heir to the Krugan, his lands and titles became mine during the Quickening."
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”