Author Topic: New Interplay site is up  (Read 22775 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: New Interplay site is up
All of this concern around a sequel killing FSO modding is very silly.

Look at Doom.  Doom III didn't kill Doom I/II modding now did it?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I'm not too concerned about a possible FS3 killing FSO either.  I'm more interested as to why that picture is on their website.  

It means:

A.)  They know we exist.
B.)  They know what we do.
C.)  They like what we do.

But why would they feature an Inferno ship on their site, when they know it's an open-source mod?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
I'm not too concerned about a possible FS3 killing FSO either.  I'm more interested as to why that picture is on their website.  

It means:

A.)  They know we exist.
B.)  They know what we do.
C.)  They like what we do.

But why would they feature an Inferno ship on their site, when they know it's an open-source mod?

I'm guessing it's because of certain IP issues. Volition probably still owns a huge chunk of the art assets.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
i cant answer that because i never knew such a thing happened. i just assumed a huge fan base, id made mega bucks and moved on.

it would be interesting to see decent 4, would be like a taster of what to expect when or if they decide on fs3. who knows some people might get that wish for fs3.

so :v: isnt dead i assume from rick james' comment?
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Oh, Volition is far from dead. They're currently working on the upcoming release of the third in the Red Faction series, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and the sequel to Saints Row, I believe.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
nice.. cool. thanks rick.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Inquisitor

Volition is owned by THQ, which is another publisher.
No signature.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
really? when did that happen?
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Eight years ago?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Here an idea why they have that image....

Someone told an underling to make up a FS2 promo image and they had previously played
inferno.... so they popped it open and took what they needed not realizing where the image came from
or that they had inferno set up rather than FS2 stock.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember

Eight years ago?

I never knew, but of course eight years ago i wasn't really paying attention to that sort of thing
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

So, what is this thing ^?

It's no ship I recognise.

Eh? That's an EAC Eclipse from Inferno R1! :eek2:

HOLY CRAPOLA.

Wow. Interplay posting HLP mods in their promo art?

That's a first. I think we've gone legit.

I say we sue them for copyright infringement, score some epic cash and directly siphon it into the secret HLP Volcano Base project.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
No because Inferno stuff is available to the public...people don't need a permission to use it...all they need to do is crediting the original INF team...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I answered the Doomsayer appropriately.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Is anyone else having issues logging on to Interplay?

EDIT: Nevermind, Chrome to the rescue.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:26:46 pm by thesizzler »

it would be nice is they kinda made a community for modders to help them make FS3, including having it be backwards compatible in a special mode (yes, i spelled that correctly. i didn't mean mod)

still, no matter what, BP will always be my FS3
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
1. If Interplay released an FS3 it wouldn't be open source for a long time, if ever, so FSO would eventually surpass it, at the rate it gets improved.

2. I was about to suggest we issue a C & D for them using Inferno assets without permission, but then Mob mentioned that it's free to the public so nevermind.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Interplay is perfectly within legal rights to use the image, I think. If we sue them for using a portion of Inferno, we may be violating the FreeSpace 2 Source Code License that was drafted by Volition Inc.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It's kinda gray area. Interplay owns the intellectual property to FreeSpace universe, but on the other hand, Inferno (and other user-made ships) are basically property of their individual authors... Interplay owning the intellectual property doesn't really make it "right" for them to take user-made models and exploit them just on the basis that they are said to be ships in FreeSpace universe.

Personally, I would see it as an acknowledgement instead of an intentional copyright infringement on Interplay's part. It's not like Interplay makes huge profit out of a screenie on their web pages (although I find their selection of a ship kinda peculiar seeing that it isn't really from FreeSpace2)... Besides, who was it that originally made that particular model anyway? Do we know that Interplay didn't approach and ask for permission to use the model (or image of the model) on their pages?

There's also the possibility that it's simply a mistake by some web/graphic designer who was given a task to design a FS2 related banner/logo/image or whatever you want to call it... but I don't think that very likely.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Leave it for now. Promotion of Freespace is good, promotion of Inferno is good. If (and I find this unlikely) Interplay starts a heavy promo campaign with Inferno assets, without making it clear that they are Inferno assets, then Woomeister can send them a nice letter asking for credit where credit is due.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...