Author Topic: Starcraft II: A Trilogy  (Read 11536 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Starcraft II: A Trilogy
Yeah, are you even reading what people are posting? I'm no big fan of this expansion strategy, but they have said there will be entirely new units, new stories, new cinematics, and a new campaign metagame in each one.

They're treating each one as a full expansion, like Brood War, which was a superb piece of gaming.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I was initially opposed but if it means we're guaranteed two very large expansion packs then I'm ok with that.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In a way, this sounds more like the strategy taken with the Dawn of War series rather than anything else; something which succeeded with Dark Crusade and Winter Assault, and fell flat on its face then fired a couple of bolter rounds into its head with Soulstorm.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
In a way, this sounds more like the strategy taken with the Dawn of War series rather than anything else; something which succeeded with Dark Crusade and Winter Assault, and fell flat on its face then fired a couple of bolter rounds into its head with Soulstorm.
Actually that one failed because Soulstorm failed. It was Ironlore's first time making an RTS, so...
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And last.

The game's not that bad as an RTS, but it's bad as a game due to bugs.

Well, that and the fact the Dark Eldar are not made of glass.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
And last.
Yea. I was hoping for a Titan's Quest 2. Too bad it closed down after the fail of Soulstorm.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
thank satan for piracy
So again, it's something you want to play, yet since you don't feel like paying the price the people who made it are asking for it, it's perfectly fine to do the equivalent of yanking it off the shelf?  Here's a novel idea:  if you're not willing to pay whatever Blizzard winds up asking for this, don't play it.  We're talking about what at the very most would be three installments of $50 over the course of three or four years for 30+ mission campaigns in each installment, along with whatever multiplayer accouterments go along with them...and that's somehow far too steep of an asking price?  Christ, with that attitude, it's no wonder that a few of these publishers feel like they're forced into shoving asinine DRM all over the place.  Has the concept of paying someone for a legitimate and substantial piece of entertainment completely fallen by the wayside at some point?

Blizzard makes as much money as what, exxon? besides that, some people here really don't care all that much about singleplayer and just want it for the multi aspect. Besides, i'd rather have 10 interesting missions than a stretched out watered down story with 30 redundant missions.(note, i'm NOT saying SC I had good missions. in reality they were quite generic, and I expect worse with SC II)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
thank satan for piracy
So again, it's something you want to play, yet since you don't feel like paying the price the people who made it are asking for it, it's perfectly fine to do the equivalent of yanking it off the shelf?  Here's a novel idea:  if you're not willing to pay whatever Blizzard winds up asking for this, don't play it.  We're talking about what at the very most would be three installments of $50 over the course of three or four years for 30+ mission campaigns in each installment, along with whatever multiplayer accouterments go along with them...and that's somehow far too steep of an asking price?  Christ, with that attitude, it's no wonder that a few of these publishers feel like they're forced into shoving asinine DRM all over the place.  Has the concept of paying someone for a legitimate and substantial piece of entertainment completely fallen by the wayside at some point?

Blizzard makes as much money as what, exxon? besides that, some people here really don't care all that much about singleplayer and just want it for the multi aspect. Besides, i'd rather have 10 interesting missions than a stretched out watered down story with 30 redundant missions.(note, i'm NOT saying SC I had good missions. in reality they were quite generic, and I expect worse with SC II)
What economy are YOU looking at? ExxonMobil earns about $404.5b annually, compared to Blizzard Entertainment that makes $1.1b annually. Hell--Electronic Arts makes $4b annually! And that's just revenue--not counting expenses.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
thank satan for piracy

They were actually pretty careful to say they weren't stretching things out.  They made it clear they would have had to have really pack events in to fit the campaign into ten missions.

I'm not sure how I feel about this any more. At first I was strongly against it, but it's beginning to seem like a not-half-bad idea.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you just want the multiplayer aspect, all you have to do is buy the first release.  No piracy required.  And judging the quality of the mission structure before said missions have even been completed, much less previewed, makes all sorts of sense, don't you think?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
thank satan for piracy

Well if you believe what they are saying they have enough for 30 missions and that 10 missions couldn't possibly do it justice.  Until I see the end result that of course is just taking their word for it but Blizzard folks tend to sound like impassioned artists and creators so I think they believe it...the end result of is of course up in the air.
- IceFire

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
If you just want the multiplayer aspect, all you have to do is buy the first release.  No piracy required.  And judging the quality of the mission structure before said missions have even been completed, much less previewed, makes all sorts of sense, don't you think?

Rest assured they'll add certain quirks so the other installments are mandatory. As for blizzard making 1.1b, I was exagerating -_-. Never the less, 1.1 bil is ALOT of money

Offline Inquisitor

I can't help but wonder if they had named this Starcraft II, III and IV, or named the follow on two as "expansions" ala Diablo II's, if everyone would still be whining...

No signature.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I can't help but wonder if they had named this Starcraft II, III and IV, or named the follow on two as "expansions" ala Diablo II's, if everyone would still be whining...
Probably not.

The proof will be in what the pricing is.  If the first chapter is priced like a full game and essentially has the content of a full game (which is what they seem to be saying) and then the other two are like really large addons priced at addon pricing...then I think they have a solid go of it.  They can almost guarantee huge sales already and this is a good way to solve their dilemma.  If they charge full game pricing for all 3 installments then I can see being a bit miffed myself.

That'd be how I'd do it.
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I doubt it too.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
thank satan for piracy

i used to have a policy about not pirating games, but after having problems with more than a couple drm schemes, the clifhanger ending of crysis (and the lack of completion in warhead), im getting sick and tired of this crap game companies are getting away with andi-consumerism policys. and now they want to chop up a game that i waited more than a ****ing DECADE for into 3 so that they can rape my hard earned cash? WHATHTEHELLISWRONGWITHYOUPEOPLE!

while the console market is raping the more intresting pc game market, the pc game developers are busy satcking up annoyances against us. well i say **** that!  if youre gonna reject the age old saying that the customer is always right, well then, you dont deserve my buisness.  :hopping:

BY THE WAY, IM STILL GONNA PIRATE YOUR GAMES
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:25:08 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I consider Crysis a EXCELLENT game. The cliffhanger ending does leave yo uwanting for more, but the game itself is great. I must have re-played it 5-6 times, finishing maps on different ways. :p

Probably. Same graphics engine, same units, same basic gameplay - the difference being a few cinematics and special "hero units". That doesn't deserve a full price tag, sorry.
Now, if they charge it appropriately to the content, then sure.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
thank satan for piracy

i used to have a policy about not pirating games, but after having problems with more than a couple drm schemes, the clifhanger ending of crysis (and the lack of completion in warhead), im getting sick and tired of this crap game companies are getting away with andi-consumerism policys. and now they want to chop up a game that i waited more than a ****ing DECADE for into 3 so that they can rape my hard earned cash? WHATHTEHELLISWRONGWITHYOUPEOPLE!

while the console market is raping the more intresting pc game market, the pc game developers are busy satcking up annoyances against us. well i say **** that!  if youre gonna reject the age old saying that the customer is always right, well then, you dont deserve my buisness.  :hopping:

:yes:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And that very attitude is exactly what's going to lead to more DRM nonsense down the line, which is going to further erode the already-minuscule PC gaming market.  Way to be.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
It's a vicious cycle.  DRM has turned many people who would never pirate games into software pirates.  Because of software pirates, more and more companies are using DRM. 

Ultimately, there won't be a resolution I don't think.  People always have pirated games, movies, music, etc, and people will continue to do so.  Companies will come up with more and more harsh DRM to put in their products to combat the pirates, even though it will eventually be cracked anyways. 

Who suffers?  The people willing to pay cash for the games.  It's strange.

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport