Author Topic: RELEASE: Machina Terra - model dump  (Read 75136 times)

Offline starlord

Re: RELEASE: Machina Terra - model dump
how many missions are done? how many were planned?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
There are 30 mission for the main campaign included into the release, I don't know how many are functional.

Offline starlord

it's quite advanced! it could be a little premature to call it dead just yet especially given the fact that members like shadowolf still stated working on this when the announcement came!

After all, many projects more than once have slowed enough to be considered dead! I'm just worried that by releasing everything you might nullify any interest at finishing this! On the other hand, that's only my opinion and as such it doesn't matter much.

Should some project advance enough like CoW or even war in heaven, perhaps steam will return to the old MT...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You haven't seen the internal. No posts for nearly a year. No motivation. As I said, this was the whole team's (or what's left of it) decision.
Perhaps after COW, Shadowwolf would try to rally MT team and recruit new people again. We should see, 158th also dumped it's assets, then got reviewed (as disastrous as it was, but this was their team's fault).

Offline starlord

precisely my point!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
CoW is far away though, and MT team was mostly unreachable when I released the dump. I think that it was better than keeping these assets locked down. MT resurrection is a big "maybe" and we don't know if or when anybody proposes this.

Offline starlord

who was active in the team so far?

I recall also BWO going through a similar phase...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Me and Gloriano, for certain values of "active" (one such value being "posting and being reachable via forum).
Dark Shadow posted once, after I declared my intents to release a dump.
That's it. None of us is a Spoon, so we decided that the project is dead. Honestly, the SVN thread (in which the final discussion took place) gets downright depressing at the end.

Heartbroken I am. This was the first big MOD I remember seeing  on these boards and getting excited about way back when Volition Watch was still active. And still the best trailer for any Freespace project I've yet seen.

(Though Adaggio for Strings probably helped. A little.)
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline starlord

Well, BWO did survive several periods of inactivity and staff changes, with luck, MT will also!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
All the material's been released now, so there's certainly nothing to stop someone from coming in and finishing things up. :)

Offline starlord

especially as from what I recall over 50% of the campaign is fredded...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Starlord.. since you are so optimistic about this, perhaps you should do it?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Since I did include the missions, you could check them out for yourself.
If you can debug the modpack, finish the missions and wrap them up, I'm certain that people will appreciate that.

Offline starlord

I certainly wish I had the skills, but I'll change that once I'm finished with that medical school degree.

I'm certainly tired of not being able to do a thing to change the status of those projects aside from finding modelers here and there for custom shippacks.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra

All the missions are on some phase actually just not finished and are missing all the effects that were planned( blackholes and stuff like that
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Darius

I certainly wish I had the skills, but I'll change that once I'm finished with that medical school degree.

Personally I'm trying to get as much done before med school finishes, as I imagine free time will become even more scarce once one starts working.

Offline starlord

I'm afraid in france they are quite bottlenecking when it comes to the habeas corpus of the competitive exam. I sadly do have my current share of problems requiring my attention regarding that! However, that doesn't mean the rest will be that way (some even say paradoxically that the national exam (5th year) is actually simpler than the competitive test i'm setting for)...

However, I certainly have plans for FS!

Blackholes? How were you counting on pulling this one off? Is it doable?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Y'know...I think I'm going to take a closer look at this pack too.  Who knows, maybe I can finally attempt to contribute something concrete around here.

Edit: So if I'm reading all of this right, the Word documents included in the dump are for a demo campaign, which seems like it was just barely started.  There's an in-depth document for one of the missions, but was there ever anything prepared for the rest?  And is there any documentation for the main campaign proper?  There's no included campaign file, and I can see what looks like a couple of loop missions, so I'm not really sure how everything fits together just from a brief glance.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:25:21 am by Mongoose »

Offline starlord

Mongoose, should you wish, you might want to talk to shadowwolf about it! He was also working on machina and expressed the will to delve further into the pack!