Author Topic: "Status Check!"  (Read 27704 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Quick update:

- The Game Warden DNS has been fixed, and it should start working for everyone shortly.  It may already be working for many people.

- FS2NetD is going to be moving to the new server today and after that it should be far more reliable.  The new IP for the FS2NetD server is 64.92.160.250, or if you are using a new build (such as http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/gamma_test.rar, or just the next RC build) then you can just use fs2netd.game-warden.com instead of the IP and it should work.  Note that fs2netd.game-warden.com won't be fully operational until tomorrow probably (the website has to be moved as well).

FS2NetD should be back into full swing by tomorrow, if not sooner.   :)

EDIT: Crap!  Link fixed.  That's twice today that I've gotten it wrong.  Thanks for noticing martellato. :D

EDIT2:  Fixed the IP, had to change it to 64.92.160.250 because of virtual host config reasons.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 10:34:34 am by taylor »

That's great news!  Good job guys!

And it's great that with the gamma build and beyond that we can include fs2netd.game-warden.com instead of a specific ip within fs2open_pxo.cfg.

Just fyi, the url of the gamma build that you posted (which is working great for me) is actually...
http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/gamma_test.rar

Hi, i'm new here. Just wondering, how would I go about accessing the game warden server thingy? I've set up my FS2open according to all the links in the other thread already. Is there anything I need to do to the .cfg files, or the in-game settings?

Thanks lots.

Gunnery Control, power up photon beam cannons.  Commence plasma core insertion.  OPEN FIRE!

Oh, whoops - wrong genre.  :drevil:  Sorry Command, let's give this another try...  OPEN FIRE!!!  :arrr:

:welcome:

Welcome to Hard Light Station, Ensign.

The exits are scattered around the station, but most of them have jammed shut because of budget cuts, and those that work only lead to the ship's karaoke bar (and it's amateur night), so your best chance to get off is to wait for a service ship to pop in. Last docking time was about the same time I had my last kill, so I would get comfortable if I were you.

We are currently suffering from technical disruptions from time to time, which may cause the lights go out at any instance, and sometimes even the basic life support fails for some time. At these times, stay calm and composed; for these cases the station system automatically drops a computer from the roof above you with FSO installed and ready. They have independent power sources.

It is advised that you don't roam around the station at these times, because you won't be seeing anything while the lights are out, and it's possible you don't want to meet our resident Shivan, Carl. He usually lives in the air duct system, but at the times of these technical problems (i.e., clogged toilets) he crawls out of his lair and has been reportedly sighted on other parts of the station, too. In case of a chance encounter, give him your lunch and you may be spared to live. Other wildlife in the station include our group of monkeys. Don't be troubled by them, they usually behave themselves.

Speaking of flamers, there used to be flamethrowers in the station, right below the seats - but some while ago the station administration decided to fill them with Holy Water instead, and this effect can be noticed as every discussion considering, some certain things automatically degenerates into a debate of religious matters and how they should be applied to society. It is advised that newcomers monitor the situation from a distance; they cause possibly volatile situations sometimes.

In case of military hazards, there are plasma rifles in racks around the station, but they can only be opened by an Admin, :v:, or Hyperintelligent Shade of Blue.

In latest news, Command has agreed to tow the station into a less volatile system in order to prevent further power shortages, as they are believed to be caused by subspace disturbances emanating from nearby star in our current system. The GTD Gamewarden is supposed to rendezvous with us upon journey and stay with us in that new system of our placement. This transfer operation may cause yet another power shortage for some time in the immediate future, but it should make life in the station easier in long run.

Enjoy your stay at Hard Light station as long as you will.

Cool. Thanks :D

Anyway I seem to be having 2 problems. The gamewardens site still seems to direct me to register at a website that doesn't exist (fs2netd) so I can't register an account, and the old build crashes on my computer. I think it has something to do with the direct3d (i run version 3.6.9 RC7 on openGL). Whenever i get to the hangar bit it crashes when it loads the graphics.

Anybody know what to do?

Hi, i'm new here. Just wondering, how would I go about accessing the game warden server thingy? I've set up my FS2open according to all the links in the other thread already. Is there anything I need to do to the .cfg files, or the in-game settings?
Welcome fortythreepluseleven!  You come in at a good time.  After much toil, the admins on the Deck of the GTD Game Warden have moved FS2NetD to a new server - which will bring better service and stability, much to the delight of multi fiends everywhere.  ;7  As taylor mentioned, the move just happened, so give 'em a day to finish crossing all ts and dotting the is:

- FS2NetD is going to be moving to the new server today and after that it should be far more reliable.  The new IP for the FS2NetD server is 64.92.160.250, or if you are using a new build (such as http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/gamma_test.rar, or just the next RC build) then you can just use fs2netd.game-warden.com instead of the IP and it should work.  Note that fs2netd.game-warden.com won't be fully operational until tomorrow probably (the website has to be moved as well).

FS2NetD should be back into full swing by tomorrow, if not sooner.   :)
If you have 3.6.9 RC7 then you're on the right track.  You can use taylor's gamma build as well - it is a more recent test (yet stable) build that includes some new fixes and enhancements.
1. Once FS2NetD is back up & operational (check the status at the beginning of this topic), go to the FS2NetD web site and create an account.
2. Activate the validation email that you will be sent from FS2NetD
3. Next, you should save a file named fs2open_pxo.cfg within your FreeSpace2\data\ folder *.  The most updated file is usually located at http://www.game-warden.com/fs2open_pxo.cfg.  However, since the ip just changed, I'll tell you that the correct contents would be
Code: [Select]
(do not use any fs2open_pxo.cfg that refers to 66.25.7.198)
*if you have a mod active while trying to connect to FS2Net, you will want to copy your fs2open_pxo.cfg to the modname\data\ folder as well.
4. Boot-up FS2_Open, go to multi options and make sure that PXO is on.  Then fill-in your username & password into the PXO account box.
5. Rock & Roll.  8)

Anyway I seem to be having 2 problems. The gamewardens site still seems to direct me to register at a website that doesn't exist (fs2netd) so I can't register an account, and the old build crashes on my computer. I think it has something to do with the direct3d (i run version 3.6.9 RC7 on openGL). Whenever i get to the hangar bit it crashes when it loads the graphics.
Problem #1 is easy.. the link was only just updated, so my 1-5 step-by-step above should help.
Problem #2... I'm not so good at troubleshooting these things, but I'm sure that another some else more wise than I will be able to part some words of wisdom to you regarding that.  But just because I know that they'll ask these questions, I thought I'd save you some time...
-Couldn't tell, are you running in Direct3D or OpenGL mode?
-When you crash, do you get an error window?
-What command line options are you using (i.e., in the Laucher's "Features" tab, what is displayed in the read-only text box that shows the executable name?)

EDITED: the IP was wrong, since I had to change it from 64.92.160.251 to 250 -- taylor
COMMENT: cool, no problem man --mart
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:23:08 pm by martellato »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
don't bother using an old build. The SCP guys work long and hard to make sure EVERY build works with multiplayer, so go ahead and use the newest one. You've got 3.6.9 RC7, USE IT! Using an old build just says, "I don't think taylor has any coding skills whatsoever," which is a FLAT. OUT. LIE!!!
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Thanks loads!

Although, the fs2net.game-warden.com site still won't work for me. I guess I'll wait :D

Using an old build just says, "I don't think taylor has any coding skills whatsoever," which is a FLAT. OUT. LIE!!!
I definitely agree... however, taylor's gamma build that taylor and I were referring to is newer than 3.6.9 RC7.  :)  It includes multiple here-and-there fixes.  It's newer, less tested code, but I'm running just fine with it.  However, my own assumption would be that most people should be using 3.6.9 RC7.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Ok, the FS2NetD site should be functional once more.  It's going to give you a bunch of error messages until we get that fixed, but they should be harmless.  Registering a new users, checking stats and server status, should all work.

Now we just need people to finally start playing games on it to make sure everything is holding up ok. :)

Woot, it all works now. I've registered as sixtimesnine so if anyone willing to put up with my noobishness would like to have a match you can message me or something.

Thanks!

Rock on.  And I'm always up for a co-op game too.  :)

Offline leeisl

Is there any way to change my password after registeration?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
A bit OT,man!!!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]