Author Topic: FS2H: A Halo Total Conversion Mod for FS2  (Read 26819 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: FS2H: A Halo Total Conversion Mod for FS2
A planet-killing bomber I can see.  But no, it's not canon... I thought you were being serious.  :p

What about those Nova bombs? Could a bomber carry them? If so, then a planet-killer is indeed canon.

Hmm, I have only played Halo for PC and Halo: Custom Edition... I haven't heard of Nova bombs.  But I do know that the only time a Halo was destroyed (so far) was in H1, using the POA's reactors... incidentally, they were just trying to damage Halo's infrastructure enough to prevent activation, however, Guilty Spark cancelled the self-destruct, so the had to do it manually, and that set off a wildcat destabilization... correct?

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Ok...

Yes, the only Halo destroyed (so far) in the Haloverse was in Halo: Combat Evolved, and it was because of the reactor self-destruct. You are correct there. The cruiser was parked on the ring, so such a tremendous explosion blasted through the ring world. The Halos are 10,000km in diameter, and they spin to help simulate gravity. As such, the explosion ruined the structural integrity and the thing was flung apart from its own rotational forces. Think of a tire shredding while you are driving; one small tear catches the road and the whole tread flys off. Needless to say they didn't have to atomize the structure to destroy it.

Nova bombs are detailed in two of Eric Nylund's Halo books. They are described as the UNSC's first planet-killers. In the GoO a Nova bomb was picked up by Covenant forces and brought back to a rally point for one of their fleets. When the thing went off it went off in space, but still managed to destroy everything in the region; the fleet, and half of the planetoid's surface, was flash-fried  :)

I've messed around with some rediculously-huge bombs before. I had fun trying to outrun the shockwave--made me think back to Freespace 2's last mission.  :D  I've put in the SHIVA and HAVOK nukes (and killed myself a lot). Haven't decided whether or not to put an actual NOVA bomb in the game. The destructive radius is so huge I might as well trigger a supernova!

And it may be pertinent to the discussion so far that I put physical planets into the game, not just backgrounds. I gave them two layers so that Covenant capital ships could "planetary bombard." It is a really great effect to see a lush paradise planet get attacked and suddenly turn into a glowing hell ball. As such, if I did put a NOVA bomb in a player could destroy the planet. But the planet itself has a lot of hitpoints...decisions decisions...

Still don't know whether I'll do it or not, though, seeing how people are already eager to blast Earth into atoms!  :drevil: :nervous:

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
The destructive radius is so huge I might as well trigger a supernova!

that can be done.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i can get inferno's earth model and make a cutscene where a wing of lucy's pummles the planet.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Bombers can't destroy Halo; Halo is an artificial planet.  What destroyed halo was the POA's four reactors going supercritical; a "wildcat" destabilization (think the Lucy's five reactors going supercritical).

Can a Death Star destroy Halo?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Bombers can't destroy Halo; Halo is an artificial planet.  What destroyed halo was the POA's four reactors going supercritical; a "wildcat" destabilization (think the Lucy's five reactors going supercritical).

Can a Death Star destroy Halo?

You can find anything on the intertubes....
Clicky
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I'm sorry, I can't resist...

"Do you think it's compensating for something?"
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Clicky here:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Planet busting bombs/beam.....meh.. a whole load of utter c*** is you ask me.

It's such a redicolous concept that any series/movie/game having it and claiming shreds of logic and science in it is hipoctitical to say the best.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, in Star Wars, supposedly it would take the entire Imperial fleet 6 months to destroy the planet... that's how much power the Death Star put out in minutes.  BTW, the Death Star used what, five (?) anti-matter reactors, IIRC.  But yeah, to destroy a planet would take massive amounts of energy.  I'm not sure even anti-matter reactors would work...

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Wow, what a tangent! But if clarification is needed in order to stop rampancy then allow me to offer the answer by the math.

Yes, to destroy a planet would require an absurd amount of energy, but it depends on your method of destruction. The Earth, for example, has a mass of around 5.97*1024 kg. Antimatter, as mentioned in the earlier posts, has a 1:1 ratio of energy output, as in there is total conversion from mass to energy. Since E = MC2, we can now plug in the mass of the earth to find how much energy the Earth is equal to. EEarth = 5.97*1024*299,792,4582, so to completely convert 5970000000000000000000000 kg of matter into energy would take 5.3656e+41 joules, or 1.2824e+26 megatons of TNT. But that would be suggesting you are atomizing the Earth, and you would need enough antimatter to produce that much energy. THAT IS A LOT!!! But you could crack the Earth into asteroids with well-placed nuclear devices, or if we fancy being ever still fantastical, send a bunch of nukes to the center of the Earth. And by a bunch I mean more than what we have currently produced to date. But then we get into pressure and a totally different math, so let's leave it at that.  :)

In either event, the original discussion was dealing with the destruction of Halo, which is 10,000 km in diameter, and but a scant mass in comparison to Earth. Also, the halo was a balanced system rotating and relying on the completed shape staying intact. The ring simply rotated to death once a small hole was blasted out of it by the cruiser self-destruct.

The NOVA bomb, the "planet-killer", was described as a cluster of nukes arranged in a lattice inside a trituim casing. The explosions worked as modern fusion warheads do; the smaller bombs compressed the more volatile materials together to create a split second of fusion. The book suggests a yield one hundred fold, which I can only assume is based on the modern, real-life calculation that a cluster of fission warheads around a fusionable material has, in reality, made a small fusion reaction that made the bomb around 100 times more powerful. Assuming the NOVA is such an arrangement, with fission nukes surrounding fusion nukes surrounding a solid fusionable material, then it isn't a far cry to imagine that it would be 100 times more than the individual bombs. So a bomb such as that would have dire effects if placed on a planet. It would shatter smaller planets, but for a planet the size of the Earth it would probably blow a nice chunk into space and basically cause the rest of the planet to roast or undergo some serious nuclear winter. In either event, it would render the planet uninhabitable.

So, whether it's vaporizing a planet or just making it a desolate, barren rock, remember this: it's sci-fi, where imagination runs wild and science becomes so advanced we can't predict what will be possible. As Arthur C. Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "  :D :nod: :yes:

For further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws
http://www.1728.com/einstein.htm
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/DeathStar.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_killer

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
MORE!!! A few ship shots...
Here are some of the human capital ships. No, textures are not final, just slapped some on there so they weren't "Blender Grey" models.  :)

Good 'ol Pillar of Autumn

In Amber Clad, unfinished but flying.

A destroyer. Still working on the armor plating.
http://www.sectorgame.com/halo/FS2H/Capital/Daedalus.JPG

Concept for the Marathon-class Cruiser. Seen a little in Halo 2, so I have a lot of work to do if I'm going to make it look like thiers looks. Once again, terrible texturing, but isn't final.
http://www.sectorgame.com/halo/FS2H/Capital/Marathon_Concept.JPG

A scout ship and a Torrent-class "gunboat" or "gunship"
http://www.sectorgame.com/halo/FS2H/Capital/scout.JPG
http://www.sectorgame.com/halo/FS2H/Capital/Torrent.JPG

And one of my favorites, the Orion-class Frigate.

More to come soon!  :nod:

Wow, what a tangent!

They happen quite often around HLP. You'd be amazed...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
More detail :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, just to jump back on the tangent (sorry!), I've heard somewhere that if you had a microwave emmitter in space, and pulsed a certain frequency with just the right settings, it would cause some weird effect on the water, basically compressing it like a bell or something (?), causing destruction of the planet within 1-6 months.  (Sorry to be vague, but it's been like 3-4 (maybe more) years since I heard that.)  Basically along the lines of, if you get enough waves going at a certain frequency, they combine into a superwave... except it was different.  Supposedly scientifically real, too.  Of course to build such a machine would require numerous trips to space, but... (and then, once they figured out what was going on, the gov'ts of the world would prolly quickly blow it to oblivion... rocket up the emmitter should do the trick).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
i can get inferno's earth model and make a cutscene where a wing of lucy's pummles the planet.

Urgh...that would be a bit ugly, considering the detail level of the Earth model...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i think it looks nice.

*coming from the guy who has only played with mv_textures)

Use a cheat to blow it up. The explosion is utterly horrible-looking.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H

Yes, to destroy a planet would require an absurd amount of energy, but it depends on your method of destruction. The Earth, for example, has a mass of around 5.97*1024 kg. Antimatter, as mentioned in the earlier posts, has a 1:1 ratio of energy output, as in there is total conversion from mass to energy. Since E = MC2, we can now plug in the mass of the earth to find how much energy the Earth is equal to. EEarth = 5.97*1024*299,792,4582, so to completely convert 5970000000000000000000000 kg of matter into energy would take 5.3656e+41 joules, or 1.2824e+26 megatons of TNT. But that would be suggesting you are atomizing the Earth, and you would need enough antimatter to produce that much energy. THAT IS A LOT!!! But you could crack the Earth into asteroids with well-placed nuclear devices, or if we fancy being ever still fantastical, send a bunch of nukes to the center of the Earth. And by a bunch I mean more than what we have currently produced to date. But then we get into pressure and a totally different math, so let's leave it at that. 

That's where low-orbit atmosphere deprivation missiles come in
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!