Author Topic: "Freespace 2: Halo" is Back!  (Read 41141 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: "Freespace 2: Halo" is Back!
Why the hell do others use Sathanii then? :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
People called Romanes they go the house, and so should the grammar inquisition. :rolleyes:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Why the hell do others use Sathanii then? :P

Many Greek plurals get confused in English, such as people who say "Octopi" and not "Octopodes".. :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Oh god. :blah:

And you realize that there will be no SathanAs in FS2:H, right?

I do, but........I'll tweak. :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Wolfy

:wtf:

The plural is Sathanes. The dual is...well, I don't know it. I should ask...

ah, 3rd time right :)

Glow text? :P

what, you think i know anything? :D and yeah, glow text, i was experimenting... maybe next time il use PINK!
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline Snail

• SC 5
BOTH of you guys are wrong, anyway. Sathanas is a first declension masculine Greek noun.  The nominative plural is therefore Sathanai, not "Sathanes" or "Sathanii".

What?

GOOOOBERRRRR!!!!! :mad: :P

Offline Wolfy

oooh. UNSC < Covenant < Shivans...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Actually, with the MAC guns and Master Chief, it's pretty much equal between the UNSC and the Covenant.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Wolfy

not really, it would be equal (space combat wise anyway) if  the UNSC fleet was 3 times as large as the covenant fleet.

That brings up a question i havent seen asked, or i dont renember seeing asked here.
Will there be 2 versions of the Halcyon class? one as the standard version, the other with the Pillar of Automn Refit (MAC fires 3 rounds, alot more archer missiles, one less hanger and a few other thigns i dont renember (From Halo: First Strike)

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Wow...much discussion I see!

Wolfy: There will be multiple versions of a lot of the UNSC ships. Since I'm making missions before, during, and after the events of the novels/games, I have to include the old and the new.

Now as for the Pillar of Autumn and the triple-fire MAC gun...yes and no. I'm not aware of any simple way to give a 'cooldown' to a primary that allows for more than one shot at a time. I could change the refire rate, but that would be one slug at a time. As of now, I have the special "light MAC rounds" require a third of the Halcyon's max energy, so you could fire three shots before running out of weapon energy. However, the player would then not be limited to firing three at a time, but could simply fire one or two at a time at their disgretion. While this may not seem like a problem, it adds a tactical error to the balance of the MAC gun in general. Someone piloting the PoA could exploit this and shoot at all the smaller vessels, especially unshielded dropships and clusters of fighters, with an insane refire rate when compared to the normal MAC gun. This would make the PoA dramatically more effective in combat, vaporizing 'soft targets' before the fighters could even take a shot at them. It may not be a problem in the end, but I think everyone will favor the light MAC weapon even if it means less damage per hit.

Cobra: Generally speaking, the Covenant have a 3 to 1 edge in space, and that is with good tactics. 4 to 1 may be closer to the truth, but even this is because the Covenant didn't really focus on destroying humanity as Goal #1 until later on in the war. They were busy seeking relics while swatting the humans away at first. Now the UNSC was making great progress towards the end, and given enough time the humans would eventually equal or outmatch the Covenant. Alas, the Covies have more resources and a whole mess of ships to throw at us.

But there is always Chapter 3... ;7

Mobius, Shiv  & Graham (and everyone else): I will be opening the doors to some help soon. Really what I need are people to "beautify" the ships models and textures. I have a lot of models that need to be detailed. And, honestly, my attempts at texturing them with cube maps and wrap textures have been total disasters  :(

So far FREDing is coming along fine, and I've overcome most of the major obstacles. I've also got music covered, as well as storyline and mission design.

REITERATORS WANTED SOON!

There are about 70 models, and what I'd like to do is get a list of people who want to work on them and make them look less like flying bricks with weapons  :lol:  I'm gonna start a thread in a few days here where people can "sign-up" to work on a model. I'll be listing the different ship classes, and throw some pictures of each on there. If you like the way it looks, and feel that you can make it uber, then ask to be that model's "Reiterator." I'd also ask that anyone who 'applies' show an example of what they can do with models. My hope is to get a good number of people involved, ranging from the "HLP heavyweight modellers" to the new crowd of upcoming model makers.

I've made this project my own personal hobby for a long time, but it is time to reach out and let the community make this mod the best it can be.

After all, a Halo-based game deserves nothing less.

I'll make the Reiterator thread in the next few days, so stay tuned! And as always, thanks for the support!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well i'm an HLP intermittent long term resident (c) never posted a model before but i'll happily give an UNSCDFship a go as covvies tend to be to curvy for my liking.   
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Devrous, I PMmed Nuke about your problem, here's what he said:

theres a few ways you could do this and none of them is a complete solution. the first way is is use a trail to show 3 succsessive shots even though youre only fring one. i used this technique on the vasudan gatling gun. use one trail bitmap with 3 blobs drawn on it. another way is to put 3 firing points in the ship model, seprate but in a line, so when you fire 3 shots are fired in line.

the scripting would do the same thing, looping through weapons looking for one by that name, and when one is detected, 2 more are spawned after it. theres no way to detect if a player is holding fire or not. so the player lets go early the other 2 shots will fire. thers perhaps a way to use a trigger weapon, meaning a weapon that is mounted to a player bank, but has most if its values set to 0 (no damage, no fire wait, no sound). you then loop through the weapons in mission and try to find one with the name of the trigger weapon. and if there are any in level you know the player has the trigger down (the weapon will actually fire every frame so if there is one you will know the player is holding the trigger). you use their position and orientation data and feed it to mn.createWeapon() and spawn the actual weapon which will be created in script assuming a heat value isnt too high. downside here is some framerate dependance, and no way to credit the kill to the player.

another way to accomplish this is give the ship with the weapon a very small amount of weapon energy (like 1), make the weapon use like a 3rd of it (about 0.33), then you will be able to fire 3 shots in rapid succession but then you need to wait for your energy to recharge. i think it counts per shot fired, so if you have 2 guns use .16. you might also need to tweak recharge rates. i tried to use this technique in nukemod, but it proved too restrictive.

I take it the first solution would fit your needs?

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Hmm...I am using Solution #3 ATM, and #2 would be good if the player got credit for the kill. Solution #1 does sound best; I'll tinker with it.

Thanks jr2/Nuke!

Offline Wolfy

oh, thats all rather quite cool, before and during the novels is good, but after is somthing that a havent seen covered before, however, its the area im most intrested in, so i cant wait.

Keep up the good work

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
@Devrous: ofc, you'd have to make the muzzle flash animation be actually 3 flashes, and the impact animation be 3 impacts.... right?  With perhaps the impact being progressively bigger with each impact?  IDK... just some thoughts.  Oh, and the sounds, ofc, need to be in threes.  ;)

Offline starlord

Congratulations! This really is promising.

Looking forward to see this completed.

best regards.

mike.

OOH OOH ME ME PICK ME! I know a way to get burst fire turrets!
Just make the turret a multipart turret (so it can aim!) and go to it's table weapon ($tripleMAC or whatever) and put in $swarm: 3
Since it's a turret it will work for primaries and it will be forced to fire only along it's barrel line making a burst weapon! YAAAAAY!

Oh and covenant>>>UNSC in space. By far. Covenant>(slightly)UNSC on ground (due to superior numbers and weapons) but MC+UNSC>>Covenant on ground due to the master chief secretly being Chuck Norris who is half asleep.
It's not like it really matters in the end anyways 'cause the elites split and join the UNSC anyways and everyone knows elites>>>>>>>>all.
"I only miss what I don't hit."
Show me something that beats 87 BF reds and I'll show you Hateful Lies!!!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
...due to the master chief secretly being Chuck Norris who is half asleep.
Pfft. Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Enough about Chuck Norris, what happened to the mod? :(

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Demo release was planned for February :(
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open