Author Topic: Is there no chance...  (Read 11985 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I'd just like to see a quick synopsis page of freespace terms back (like a mini-wiki minus the everyone can edit), maybe another small campaign list with links, like before.

(hint hint)

EDIT:Would a dumpster board be anything worth something? Like where all locked threads (minus stickied) older than two weeks are sent?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:47:31 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Exactly :(.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
HLP3.0 happened, and the site lost functionality
And nobody bothered to fix it?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
It was removed because it caused too much traffic.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No, HLP 2.0 was removed because Fury wanted somebody to upgrade it.  Unfortunately, he neglected to arrange for an upgrader first. :sigh:

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Then why can't you bring it back? :(
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No, HLP 2.0 was removed because Fury wanted somebody to upgrade it.  Unfortunately, he neglected to arrange for an upgrader first. :sigh:
:wtf:
Do you think I'm so gone as to not even read the forums every now and then? Blame resigned admin for any bad decisions that were done, it is after all so easy to say that he did all the decisions by himself without consulting the rest.

What a load of bull****, Goober.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Do you think I'm so gone as to not even read the forums every now and then? Blame resigned admin for any bad decisions that were done, it is after all so easy to say that he did all the decisions by himself without consulting the rest.

* jr2 was wondering if Goober's password has been compromised or something... even if that statement was true, it doesn't sound like Goober to dump blame on someone.  :nervous:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

You were the one who was primarily responsible for it.  Styxx was inactive, and nobody else was doing anything, so you forged ahead and started making changes.  The discussions are right there in the admin forum.

Don't accuse me of casting blame; I'm merely stating what happened.  You've provided lots of valuable service, and made some very good changes, but this happens to not be one of them.

Then why can't you bring it back? :(
We (primarily Tolwyn) are currently attempting to do so.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:39:11 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The discussions are right there in the admin forum.
Exactly the point. The discussions are right there in the admin forum. I provided the options and means to get it done, it doesn't mean that responsibility of the decision to replace the mainpage rests solely on my shoulders. I also gave you chances to preview what the mainpage would be changed into. You had all the time to voice out your disagreement and convince the rest not to go ahead with it.

I always knew you were incompetent and should have had your admin privileges revoked. But to realize you'd go as far as this to make up for your own reputation caused by your own mistakes around here.

Found an old backup of HLP 2.0 from my old server HDD two days ago. Thought of uploading it somewhere, but what do I care, I don't have any ties to this community anymore.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Exactly the point. The discussions are right there in the admin forum. I provided the options and means to get it done, it doesn't mean that responsibility of the decision to replace the mainpage rests solely on my shoulders. I also gave you chances to preview what the mainpage would be changed into. You had all the time to voice out your disagreement and convince the rest not to go ahead with it.
You didn't merely provide the options and means to get it done, you did it, almost entirely single-handedly.  I believe it was frustration with the "government-by-committee" nature of the admin forum (a frustration that I sometimes share) that led you to do it yourself; but if you do it yourself, then its success or failure rests solely on your shoulders.

The current front page was originally billed as a "temporary" page until a full content management system could be set up.  That's a historical fact, not a personal opinion.  It's no more an assignment of blame than it would be to say that my stated release dates for TVWP or STR turned out to be premature by at least three years.

I always knew you were incompetent and should have had your admin privileges revoked. But to realize you'd go as far as this to make up for your own reputation caused by your own mistakes around here.
You seem to be laboring under the mistaken impression that I build myself up by tearing others down.  That's hardly a game I care to play; and even if it were, it would be fruitless, since reality is reality regardless of how I feel about it.  My reputation stands or falls entirely on its own -- the reputations of others have no bearing on it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:48:23 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Uh-huh... :blah:

HLP 2.0 isn't a top priority, anyway...

If having it ASAP also means having discussion like this one, we can forget it. There are no problems...the site runs, the forums work fine and hosted projects are fine, too.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
You'd not be a'sayin that had yer skin and bones seen that 2.0.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
**** Pirate day! I can't understand!

My point is:

No HLP 2.0 > Admins arguing for HLP 2.0
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
No more flaming or you'll get banned. :nervous:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
*wonders how hard he can threaten admins who've been around longer than himself*

Guys this really isn't worth the argument. I doubt most of the people on this board are buying that HLP 2.0 was removed because Fury was incompetent or that Goober was saying that he is. So basically this is just a storm in a teacup.

Anyway I'm going to lock this before it gets any more heated.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You know, as admins they can still continue their argument in locked threads. :nervous:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah but it should subtly persuade them not to. Or at least calm down. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]