Author Topic: HLP's search function sucks.  (Read 2476 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
HLP's search function sucks.
HLP's search function sucks. I try to search for a simple phrase, "YOU FOUND CARL!!!!!" and, instead of coming up with new posts, or posts with that sequence of words, it digs up every welcome speech in history. I have the same problem every time I try to search.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: HLP's search function sucks.
FS Search

This is one of my old beefs with HLP Search, ya,... it can be mostly useless.  Try opening the topic that you think your search query might be in, then searching... eg, open "General Discussion", then search for "aldo_14" or something.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I'm looking for the Carl picture, if you have that it's all I want right now.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The one where he's all hairy?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Yup.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Will search, give me a minute.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I already searched everything I could think of. I think that it was in the FSPort forum, but only one mention of Carl there.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Google works surprizingly well too, kinda makes you wonder how much of the internet traffic is the search engine computers crawling around, building and updating keyword indexes and stuff... :nervous:

<keyword> site:hard-light.net/forums

Example: more sane beamglows site:hard-light.net/forums, gives the wanted thread as first result... even though it suggest searching for bungalows. :lol: Search for DDS beamglows gives same result on top of the list.

Works pretty good if the Search function on the forums fails you. Although you need to pretty much know what you're looking for to get best results anyway... like, if you remember some phrase from old thread you want to dig up it's much easier to find... otherwise you end up with too generic search terms and hundreds of threads/messages to go through and you still may not find what you're looking for. Oh well. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I have no idea what you want you need it for, but the forum Search did find the picture you needed with keywords "hairy shivan", not very unimaginative... here's a link to one message where it's shown.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:02:34 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I tried what you suggested already, no results. Thanks for the pic!