Author Topic: Hello Icefire  (Read 34863 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
There's not a lot going on here currently anyway.

I blame Raven.

Seriously though, I'm hoping you'll see some news soon.

On another note, I do wonder what Kazan has been doing ever since he got married.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Use your imagination?

Kazan has actually posted on the forum in the past week.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I still dream about BWO on a nightly basis, but rather than give in to fanboy despair I've elected to believe that Raven is gradually moving those last HTL assets towards completion.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
*sings* Get outta my dreams!  And into my RAM!

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:10:01 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I still dream about BWO on a nightly basis, but rather than give in to fanboy despair I've elected to believe that Raven is gradually moving those last HTL assets towards completion.

Really? I never even think about BWO anymore. Maybe once in a great while, but not much at all. That's what happens when projects take forever to be released (fail to deliver) and fans get bored and move on. If anything, I think more about campaigns that are actually released in the missions and campaign sub-forum, like ASW, FoW, and Storm Front. Also BP.

You're silly.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:10:13 pm by High Max »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
BWO is essentially done. They're waiting on high-poly ship models to be complete.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Which if you ask me, is foolish. If you can provide higher quality assets as simple drop-in replacements that require no alterations to missions, then you should release the campaign with lower quality assets and release higher quality ones in an update later.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:10:54 pm by High Max »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Foolish or not, it's not our job to dictate BWO development policy.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No it is not, but public opinion should have some weight as long as it is reasonable.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think there is another way of looking at things, though.  As the old adage goes, "You only get one chance to make a first impression."  While it's true that BWO could just about release today with the assets they have, leaving features like high-poly models out of the initial release will mean that they don't get to be part of everyone's first-time experience.  You can't force yourself to forget everything and repeat your first playthrough, and I can appreciate the BWO team's desire to have every single aspect of that experience be as high-quality as it possibly can.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I think there is another way of looking at things, though.  As the old adage goes, "You only get one chance to make a first impression."  While it's true that BWO could just about release today with the assets they have, leaving features like high-poly models out of the initial release will mean that they don't get to be part of everyone's first-time experience.  You can't force yourself to forget everything and repeat your first playthrough, and I can appreciate the BWO team's desire to have every single aspect of that experience be as high-quality as it possibly can.

We agree, if you haven't figured already :D
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:11:06 pm by High Max »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This very old "get everything done, then release" idea has been the basic design philosophy of BlackWater for god knows how long. It's not going to change.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This very old "get everything done, then release" idea has been the basic design philosophy of BlackWater for god knows how long. It's not going to change.

Quite.

Let's just trust them to get it done.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
But it's unrealistic. You can never keep up with the latest, especially when you have lives that keep you busy. Also, whether it is the greatest is nothing but a perception. Trying to have the greatest in every area will only lead to feature creep and an endless cycle of trying to keep up with the latest graphics, then by the time you do so, something better comes along, then you impliment that, but then something better has once again come along, over and over again.

You misunderstand. We aren't feature creeping. The features we are taking advantage from are several years old already (HTL). For instance, certain ships have been modeled years ago, already in the HTL era of things. They definetly aren't as good technically as the newer ones, but they are locked.
Its not like we are watching for features and going "omgz we gotta haf dat!".

However, reason its taking so long is because lately (eg. for 2 years +/-), I'm the only one taking care of the models and UV's, and textures. However, I'm bogged down in a job that requires more than 8 daily hours many times+"house keeping" duties, and so on. That doesn't leave many *monthly* hours to work as you understand.

We have said it in the past, and I'll say it again: we need good modelers\UVe'rs and texturers. We havent made a formal request for these due to some organizational issues, but the sooner we hear some interest from people in helping out, the sooner things get done.
You can take a look at the 4 modelers  interview to get an idea of the level of work we seek. And even if you can't be up to that, I can say surely that someone who could take care of the LOD's would definetly be very helpfull as well (and doesn't need to be as good, technically)

Even if you can't do it yourself, spread the word to your friends :P

I can't convert, but Blowfish has been taking care of that when needed so far.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Release what you want, when you want. Simple :yes:

I'm still waiting for my cruiser sized bomber.... but i can wait a bit more i suppose. :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'll make a concerted effort to point new modelers your way.