Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 244978 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Check the messages from any member and navigate to other pages != than the first one, like the 2nd or 20th.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=883;area=showposts;start=20
It does it on the second page (and subsequent pages) of unread topics as well.

EDIT: Oh, and the per post anchors still don't work correctly for me, I still get dumped at the first post on the page.  I have FF4 on Win7.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:22:31 pm by Iss Mneur »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Direct linking to individuell post is still not working :( I'm now using Firefox 4, but the issue is still there. No chance for a cure so far ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, I think I may have gotten it resolved. It's a wiley, tricksy one.

The post links are formatted like this:

Code: [Select]
<a id="msg1234567"></a>
Whereas the #new post links are like this:

Code: [Select]
<a id="new" name="new">&nbsp;</a>
Originally I suspected that some browsers only recognized name="" parameters instead of id="" params, and so I investigated along those lines.

This time, however, I noticed that the first anchor code had no content, whereas the second has a non-breaking space for content! I began wondering if Firefox had issues with jumping to anchor elements that had no content. A bit of Firebug testing seems to confirm it, so I'm gonna implement a fix and see if it fixes things. Gimme a minute.

EDIT: Looks like that did it for me. I also discovered what I believe are the conditions where post linking would and wouldn't work:

1) If you use a browser that doesn't recognize empty anchor tags (<a id="msg1234567"></a>)

AND

2) If you're trying to link to a specific post by it's post number (#msg1234567 at the end of the URL).

Linking to the new post in a thread using the #new ending should have always worked. I think... :nervous:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:00:27 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, the new posts have always worked fine for me; it was just the direct-linking that was broken.  Looks like it's working now, though. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yay! :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep, seems to work now. Good job  :yes:

*wanders off and lights a candle in the sandwich shrine*   :p
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Direct linking appears to be working now. I'm not sure why the page still has to reload whenever I click on a direct link (the previous SMF version didn't), but direct linking IS working now. Many thanks. :D
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've implemented some enhancements to the forum theme when the Smartphone: Widescreen / Portrait modes some of you have noticed are in effect. Basically, there should be a lot less scrolling when viewing on small ( < 800 pixels wide) screen sizes, and the post quickbuttons that appear on mouse hover for the desktop will always appear on those smaller screens (where it's unlikely that there will be mice to make the cursor hover).

I've only tested it on an Android webkit-based browser and in the desktop Firefox at small window sizes. Let me know if it works for you poor Apple slaves (:D), and what you think in general.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I've only tested it on an Android webkit-based browser and in the desktop Firefox at small window sizes. Let me know if it works for you poor Apple slaves (:D), and what you think in general.
Well I can confirm that it works great on an iTouch. Though the theme seems to always say that I am in portrait mode, however everything seems to scale correctly.

Something that would be nice would be a way to use the reply boxes sizing bar.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well I can confirm that it works great on an iTouch. Though the theme seems to always say that I am in portrait mode, however everything seems to scale correctly.

Yeah, iPhones up to the iPhone 4 have 480x360 resolutions (iPhone 4 has 960x640). Since the mode switch is based on the width in pixels (0-480, 481-800, and 801+), iPhones (and iPod Touches) never get above 480 pixels. An iPhone 4 would never see the smaller, Portrait mode. All of which I'm fine with; the point is to adjust the layout according to how many pixels are available to draw said layout.

Something that would be nice would be a way to use the reply boxes sizing bar.

Indeed it would be; unfortunately that's (AFAIK) dependent more on browser support than on website coding.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
FS Network nav bar is now live. It's not perfect, but it's good enough that I'd like to hear from you guys what you think.

And yes, obviously it needs a lot more fleshing-out with real links. :p I've left instructions with the administration staff on how to add new menu items, so you can bug any of us about that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Looks awesome.  Could you please put a large button, up there, which says 'Install FreeSpace Open' and links to the Installer? I know you've got it in a menu already but trust me, this is valuable. If possible make it a distinctive color too!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hosted Projects and External Sites I assume haven't been filled out?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I guess so.

Looks awesome. Could you please put a large button, up there, which says 'Install FreeSpace Open' and links to the Installer?

If I recall, the old nav bar also had something similar, and it was one of the first links I went to when I first came here. Definitely a must. :yes:

If possible make it a distinctive color too!

I was about to suggest vermilion text on a light grey-red fill, but that might look off. We could experiment if the background fill code was re-enabled, but that's probably worth more trouble than it's worth. :nervous:

* Androgeos Exeunt looks at the current nav bar again.

Oh, one more thing. Capital S in "Freespace", please.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Just a suggestion, could you make the links on that bar go left to right rather than top to bottom? If they were all on one line they would take up substantially less room on a screen..

Otherwise, great work :)

A1+ AWESOME!
Seriously, perfect :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:36:05 am by QuantumDelta »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just a suggestion, could you make the links on that bar go left to right rather than top to bottom? If they were all on one line they would take up substantially less room on a screen..
Eh? They should do that already. What browser and version are you using?

FF 4.0.1 it had previously showed up like a simple list of links at the top left going down the page, now it's a top bar on the far left in the same style as the forum control panel links
It changed (was fixed?) between the post and the edit :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Probably a cache issue; I didn't change anything. I'm on my android phone.

Yeah, before refreshing FF4 shows it as a vertical menu top-left of the page, looking slightly wonky. Refreshing fixes it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Can we add #FreeSpace to the list of IRC channels?

(also, it's spelled Mibbit not Mibbet :P)