Author Topic: Authorize Wonz  (Read 4175 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We've got a user named Wonz hung up at the authorization stage.

This spam filter is killing us. Is it really worth the false positives?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nope.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
How is it currently being handled anyway?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
A users registers, but requires Admin approval to post.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
can we let them PM admins at least, then we can actually tell they're real people.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Better yet, we'll give you that responsibility and the swarms of new users can fill up YOUR pm inbox. :p

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Seeing as few people PM me anyway, I won't mind if I can activate their accounts.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Look. It's pretty simple. We've already discussed how to get the spam filter turned off but no one is willing to get off their butts and do the one simple thing we asked them to.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Surely there's an easier way? Rely on people's FS familiarity, or at least the ability to recognize a big old space ship.

Welcome to Hard Light Productions! Before you start, we need to make sure you're a human being. Identify the ship in the image below. If there is more than one ship, identify the most prominent vessel.

Remember, only include the name of the class, not the prefix (e.g. "Hecate" instead of "GTD Hecate").

***IMAGE***

Not a Freespace fan, or having trouble with spelling? Check the <link to wiki>gallery</link to wiki> or <link to refresh>try another image</link to refresh>.

Wiki link = http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/New_Account_Gallery

And the images for the user (Imagebin because I'm lazy and it's easy, get 'em before they disappear).

http://imagebin.org/210206
http://imagebin.org/210207
http://imagebin.org/210208
http://imagebin.org/210209
http://imagebin.org/210210
http://imagebin.org/210211
http://imagebin.org/210212
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Errr...

There's no way everyone registering at HLP even knows about FS, let alone names of ships. You know, people can register here for the total conversions like TBP, FotG, Diaspora, WCS that draw attention from fans of the TV-series and movies. Then there are people who come here for FS, but haven't yet played it at all. Hence they wouldn't know about any ship names either.

When you make it difficult to register by requiring registee to browse a random site for the captcha answer, chances are that he/she just leaves instead rather than bothering with that.

No, when you present someone a picture puzzle for captcha, the answer must be within the picture. Hence an animation that does not display full answer in any single frame should work pretty well.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you were gonna do that, I'd also put a link to the wiki article on the particular ship classes at the bottom, with instructions to check that if the user is not familiar with FS2-verse (you are likely to get people in here from TBP, WCS, BSG: Diaspora, even BtRL, and eventually FotG and StarFox (I forget the name for that one, sorry) EDIT: SoL and other non-FS2 TCs trying to register.  So, just make a wiki article stating that these are the ships that are used in our spam prevention mechanism, and use different (techroom, maybe) shots in the wiki article).

Upon re-reading my post:   Holy parenthesis, Batman!

EDIT: ninja'd
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:36:49 pm by jr2 »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Errr...

There's no way everyone registering at HLP even knows about FS, let alone names of ships. You know, people can register here for the total conversions like TBP, FotG, Diaspora, WCS that draw attention from fans of the TV-series and movies. Then there are people who come here for FS, but haven't yet played it at all. Hence they wouldn't know about any ship names either.

When you make it difficult to register by requiring registee to browse a random site for the captcha answer, chances are that he/she just leaves instead rather than bothering with that.

No, when you present someone a picture puzzle for captcha, the answer must be within the picture. Hence an animation that does not display full answer in any single frame should work pretty well.

Yep. Those animations sure would be great. Why aren't we using them again? Oh yeah... they don't exist yet. :doubt: Until someone makes them, we're losing more people to false positives and delayed admin responses than we will to people unwilling to click on a wiki link (And don't forget, we're still mainly a Freespace board. A good fraction of the people who want to register wont even need to go to the wiki). This is one of many cases where people do nothing because they can't implement the perfect system. This would be less than perfect, but better than what we have now, and can easily be replaced if the animations ever get made.

If you were gonna do that, I'd also put a link to the wiki article on the particular ship classes at the bottom, with instructions to check that if the user is not familiar with FS2-verse (you are likely to get people in here from TBP, WCS, BSG: Diaspora, even BtRL, and eventually FotG and StarFox (I forget the name for that one, sorry) and other non-FS2 TCs trying to register.  So, just make a wiki article stating that these are the ships that are used in our spam prevention mechanism, and use different (techroom, maybe) shots in the wiki article).

Upon re-reading my post:   Holy parenthesis, Batman!

EDIT: ninja'd

Not a Freespace fan, or having trouble with spelling? Check the <link to wiki>gallery</link to wiki> or <link to refresh>try another image</link to refresh>.

Have done exactly that. Check the wiki link I provided.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Oh bloody hell, it's not that hard to generate gifs. There's bunch of online services to do that too.

Here's one: http://wigflip.com/signbot/

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okey doke.  I'm triggering the rev_posix Bat-Signal to activate the mod with Fury's sample gif.

Is it really worth the false positives?
Nope.

Derp, well, shouldn't you defer to Zacam on that?  Seeing as he's the one who has to deal with all the spam registrants, false positives or no...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:09:54 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I wouldn't advise using the sample gif. Rather generate a dozen or so gifs that have three random words in random order. Perhaps add a bunch of numbers instead of one of the words.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ooh ooh ooh.  Here's one. :D

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Actually, the idea of using imagemagick to make one of these on the fly comes to mind...  I'll have to look into how we could implement it, but that may be overkill unless the freaking bots start running hashes against the files (not likely, but possible).
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was just going to use lines from FS2 missions and ask for the 3rd, 4th or 5th word.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Actually, the idea of using imagemagick to make one of these on the fly comes to mind...  I'll have to look into how we could implement it, but that may be overkill unless the freaking bots start running hashes against the files (not likely, but possible).
No offense but please look into imagemagic and whatever else AFTER a solution that allows disabling admin approval is in place. Just use SOMETHING in addition to the SMF's default captcha, allowing you to disable admin approval in registrations. This admin approval stupidity has been going on for way too long already.

I was just going to use lines from FS2 missions and ask for the 3rd, 4th or 5th word.
And how do you suppose people unfamiliar with FS2 and possibly not well versed in english are supposed to figure out correct answer?

Come on, just go with random words and numbers. Like "notify 09644 unread", "approval print 28303" and "93632 check cancel".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:30:02 am by Fury »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I mean that rather than random words in the scroller, we use FS2 quotes. If spambots are capable of recognising the 3rd word in a quote from a 12 year old game then we should just give up modding and get them to do it. :p

Plus picking the 3rd word in the sentence requires a skill level much closer to human skills than typing out the whole thing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:22:57 am by karajorma »