Author Topic: Ad-Banning Possible?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Ad-Banning Possible?
So I was surfing HLP when suddenly an ad that says, "Click Here For Roman Orgy! Click Now!" showed up. It's apparently a game called Call of Roma by EpicX. I googled to see if there's anything to remove something like this from HLP and found a post that might be relevant:

"Does an invitation to a Roman orgy violate the BGG prohibition of explicit sexuality? If the ad violates BGG's own rules then you shouldn't have to pay for the ad-blocker to enforce standards that are supposed to apply to everybody. If it's not explicit enough for a rules violation, then you might have to spend the $25." http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/736781/call-of-roma-~or~-one-click-roman-orgy

I also found out that the site owner (I believe) ended up blocking the ad from appearing. Can we do something like that on HLP for this ad?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Ad-Banning Possible?
We used to, at least back on 3dap, ban goldselling ads or the like. For awhile at least, then people stopped caring.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Ad-Banning Possible?
I am at the "who cares" level right now already :P

I actually don't pay attention to ads; I don't really care if they "somewhat" violate board policies as long as they help keep the board alive. Now, if they were to explicitly violate something ("Click here if you hate the blacks and want to support an armed uprising in the United States"), then I would agree that steps may be necessary, but this slightly racy (and massively inept) ad campaign under discussion here doesn't even come close to raising an eyebrow.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns