Author Topic: New moderator for FreeSpace Modding  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
New moderator for FreeSpace Modding
God damn it if we just had a moderator for this section we could clean up that horrid mess of stickies up top to actually useful things.
I think Droid just volunteered!

Seriously though he has a point. Right now the moderators for modding are Herra and Snail. I don't see Herra doing a lot of moderating and Snail is still kinda M.I.A
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: New moderator for FreeSpace Modding
Honestly, I think having per-board moderators is kinda pointless in the first place in a community like HL, except for hosted projects. Global moderators would serve much better purpose what with having ability to moderate all public boards. With sufficient number of active global mods, you wouldn't have to worry about a board or two not having enough mods.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hell, any of us current global mods would be able to change the stickies.  I don't really go into Modding much, but I'd be happy to float and de-float a few things if someone lets me know what they want up there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Honestly, I think having per-board moderators is kinda pointless in the first place in a community like HL, except for hosted projects. Global moderators would serve much better purpose what with having ability to moderate all public boards. With sufficient number of active global mods, you wouldn't have to worry about a board or two not having enough mods.

Global mods please put some actually funny threads in classics and pin my campaign guide, tia

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm back from work tomorrow, I'll look at the stickies then if nobody else has by then.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Okay well, this is what I think needs to go to make it more clean:
- Subspace Tunnel (seriously, why was this even stickied in the first place, it's a single asset release, I'd put it in FSU because it's just an upgrade of a retail asset even...)
- Shipbuilding Tutorial : there is the TUTORIALS sticky
- Texturing Tutorial : see above
- PCS2 User to User help : move to FS Tools, because that is where all the rest of the PCS2 stuff is
- GIMP thread, MAX Scripts, Skybox threads : group into RESOURCES category

New Stickies:
+ RELEASES - ie. that "Congregate the works of this board!" thread (by bigchunk1 (?))- asset releases
+ RESOURCES - link stuff like tools, skyboxes, the max scripts should be linked here, as well as the old cockpit one-stop-shop thing etc.

so in the end there should be 3, maybe 4 stickies:
Tutorials
Releases
Resources
<maybe that Efficient Model's From Coder's PoV thread>

The idea is to have categories where we can add useful threads to, instead of sticky-ing a random subset of them.

The Tutorials sticky could use a look through and maybe point out the best ones...though that might be hard to judge.

my $0.02
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Vote Droid for mod
He seems to be having the right ideas.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Anyone asked him if he wants to do it?, he's got the ideas but maybe he doesn't want to be a moderator.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Honestly, I think having per-board moderators is kinda pointless in the first place in a community like HL, except for hosted projects.
The reason for having per-board moderators is to have people whose responsibility it is to keep an eye on their assigned board.  Global moderators can't be everywhere all the time, and in any case due to preference and habit they tend to frequent certain boards more than others.

Forum moderation benefits from level-of-detail methodology just as modelling and AI do.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Honestly, I think having per-board moderators is kinda pointless in the first place in a community like HL, except for hosted projects.
The reason for having per-board moderators is to have people whose responsibility it is to keep an eye on their assigned board.  Global moderators can't be everywhere all the time, and in any case due to preference and habit they tend to frequent certain boards more than others.

Forum moderation benefits from level-of-detail methodology just as modelling and AI do.
I'd agree if the board-specific moderators who weren't just project leads for their project forum actually ever did anything. The most I've seen them do would be Nuke, and no one cares about Gen Disc.

Also, Mongoose is apparently a board moderator for FS Gen disc, isn't that a bit redundant since he's a global mod? :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have no idea why global mods would frequent a particular forum more than others. Click 'show unread posts', read 'em all

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'd agree if the board-specific moderators who weren't just project leads for their project forum actually ever did anything.
Then the solution is to propose new or different board-specific moderators, which is presumably why Spoon started the thread.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides Droid803?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Also, Mongoose is apparently a board moderator for FS Gen disc, isn't that a bit redundant since he's a global mod? :P
It might seem that way, but I was a mod for that folder a year or two before I landed this gig. :p

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Personally I would like to see a Help & Bug Killing subforum for people who want help on how to implement FSO features, how to go about achieving stuff and bug fixing it when it goes horribly wrong.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
you mean like the tech support board?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Does anyone have any suggestions besides Droid803?
Anyone who reads the forums very often, regardless of posting activity would work, also being established and generally trusted with the job as well.

The problem is, there's not really enough people who fit all of those criteria to have one or two people per 'generic' board. I think packing on a few more global moderators would definitely help, though.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:50:43 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm asking the people who most regularly frequent the FreeSpace Modding forum to nominate someone, or a bunch of someones.  I think they would be in the best position to evaluate candidates.

We don't need more Global Moderators at this time.  We already have several.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay, made some of the changes that Droid suggested.  If someone puts together those Releases and Resources threads, I can sticky them too.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
What about some of the boards that only have a single specific moderator that hasn't been seen online in ages?

Gaming Discussion immediately comes to mind, what with how Trashman still roams around there, and Inquisitor hasn't been on HLP since late May.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Okay, made some of the changes that Droid suggested.  If someone puts together those Releases and Resources threads, I can sticky them too.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81355.0
Releases one. Might need to be updated a bit.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================