Author Topic: Developing a game of my own.  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
Developing a game of my own.
Hey my fellow HLPers, I know that we're a very tight-knit community here and support each other, so who better to go to about this. I am assembling a team of dedicated and skilled people to develop my own visual novel. Alas, it's not set in the FreeSpace or Descent universes, nor is it based off either game engine.

Given that Goober and the admin gang have begun supporting and promoting our non-FreeSpace works on the board, such as MechCommander OmniTech, I figured that I'd bring this up. The visual novel hasn't been announced yet, but once we have a skilled team together and have begun development of the game, we will be putting the game on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight.

Given that it is still very much in the planning stages, my team (four people so far) and I won't be able to publicly provide much information at this time, given that we want to keep it as secret as possible until the announcement. However, if Goober or Battuta or anyone from the admin team wants me to provide more specifics, I would be more than happy to do so via private message. Anyway, as for why I'm posting this, I was wondering if the admin team would like to provide a forum for my project when I do eventually announce it. My team and I would be posting updates of our development progress in the forum and interactive with the community, listening to their ideas, suggestions and complaints.

Of course, the announcement is still many months from now and given that this has nothing to do with FS or Descent, I would understand perfectly if you didn't want to support my indie team, by providing a forum for us at a later date. If you would be interested in doing so, however, my team and I would be grateful. Are you interested?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Developing a game of my own.
Well, I would first recommend that you read our hosting policy...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=53807.0

You shouldn't expect a forum right off the bat.  The common requirement for hosting, whether in a private forum or on FTP, is meaningful progress.  We would have to see some actual progress on the mod, as well as evidence of some sort of project organization and planning, before we could even consider your request.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Who else is on your team?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
Well, I would first recommend that you read our hosting policy...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=53807.0

You shouldn't expect a forum right off the bat.  The common requirement for hosting, whether in a private forum or on FTP, is meaningful progress.  We would have to see some actual progress on the mod, as well as evidence of some sort of project organization and planning, before we could even consider your request.

Thanks. We definitely haven't met the vast majority of those criteria.

Who else is on your team?
Right now we only have:
Myself (Project Leader & Main Writer)
scubamcd (Editor)
gladiatorskull (Path Writer)
noobforhire (Path Writer)

There are a few other people who have expressed interest in joining our team, namely three path writers and two artists. Though they're still being interviewed.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
it's not set in the FreeSpace or Descent universes, nor is it based off either game engine
[...]
Given that it is still very much in the planning stages, my team (four people so far) and I won't be able to publicly provide much information at this time, given that we want to keep it as secret as possible until the announcement.
[...]
this has nothing to do with FS or Descent
Well, at least we know what it isn't about...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.