Author Topic: On the length of bans  (Read 3819 times)

Well, ten days ago Goober told me I'd be 'spending a week in political prisoners'. I still can't post in GenDisc, what gives?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

You should have discussed this with mods directly via irc or pms.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well it does give me an opportunity to bring up an issue for discussion. Namely that bans from Hard Light or Monkeying is a lot more of a PITA for the admin connected because it's easy to forget to change the usergroups back after the ban expires (which, I suspect is exactly what happened her).

What we could really use, would be a good, automatic  way to remind the admin in question to give the user their normal permissions back. But I don't know if SMF supports that. In VB you could probably hack the "paid memberships functions to do that" as in "this user has paid for a week's membership to Hard Light Monkeys"
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Why not simply automate it? Monkey stops exactly 7 days and zero seconds after it was issued.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Monkeying isn't a ban (bans are automatically handled by the SMF software). It's a usergroup the user is assigned to. As far as I know, there are no controls in SMF to put someone in a group for a set amount of time. VB presumably does have that ability with the paid memberships option.

Since I'm on my PC and not my phone this time, I've set PH to be able to post in Gen Disc again.

You, uh, may want to double-check that, I'm a mod now as well. Unless you've decided to go for the wildcard option in response to all this agitatin' for more admins.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
:lol:

In case this gets corrected soon, here's screenshot.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Luis Dias

he's not a mod, he's a full blown admin. Jesus christ, brace yourselves!!!

PREPARE FOR THE NEW ORDER

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Thank god, sitting there with BP internal and all its secrets but a click away was driving me insane.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I admire your restraint.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, the best way is for the admin in question, in this case me, to schedule a reminder to de-monkey or un-ban the person in question.  I thought I had written myself a note, but I can't find it now.

But as Luis Dias said, this should have been asked through PM.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's bizarre I never ticked any membergroups. I only unticked one.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well...that escalated quickly.

Offline Lorric

Karajorma must have getting new admins on the brain.

Offline Lorric

Just hypothetically, if Admins can un-admin and admin people, could PH have un-Admin'd all the admins, and taken control of HLP?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline Lorric

I'm putting this back in. Especially since the two of you are around right now.

Another thought I just had, going back to the original reason why all this came up, Karajorma says all he did was take PH out of the political prisoners group. I've never seen anyone get political prisonered in my time here. What if there's some sort of hidden glitch? You might want to test this out on someone, and political prisoner them, then immediately unprisoner them, and see if they get turned into an admin...

EDIT: And have two different admins, preferably the original two, perform it. In case that had anything to do with it. Is it unusual for that to happen, two different admins?

Goober puts them in and Karajorma takes them out.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Just hypothetically, if Admins can un-admin and admin people, could PH have un-Admin'd all the admins, and taken control of HLP?
In theory...

However, nothing trumps # at a shell level. ;)
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."