Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589001 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
*munches popcorn*

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think he might have actually snapped
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yeah his blog posts have seemed increasingly...foamy.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They already gave him his money back. He's got about as much standing as a snake.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
But seriously though, one thing I agree with him. Star Citizen release date gets further away and away, Im starting to believe it will never be released...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:12:53 am by TheHound »
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
But seriously though, one thing I agree with him. Star Citizen release date gets further away and away, I starting to believe it will never be released...

It'll release, but they're going to have to make some hard decisions about what major features to cut out.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
But seriously though, one thing I agree with him. Star Citizen release date gets further away and away, I starting to believe it will never be released...

It'll release, but they're going to have to make some hard decisions about what major features to cut out.

At that time, if single-player ends up there, that's when i'll grumble about getting my money back.

not before.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

I wouldn't be surprised if Derek Smart joins this discussion himself sooner or later. :D

As for Freelancer, I thought it was very good. It may have been cut down from its original plans but has a great main campaign and universe to explore, and the mouse feels fine for the game's movement mechanics. Actually, Freelancer is very highly regarded on other forums I go to. I think we've been spoiled by FS around here. :p

Spoiled? Nah, I think Freelancer was *really* good at what it set out to be (a successor to WC: Privateer), whilst FS was also *really* good at what it set out to be  (a succesor to the X-wing series). Whether you prefer the one or the other is more down what you want out of a game.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline Aesaar

It amuses me that Freelancer only made it to release because Chris Roberts sold Digital Anvil to Microsoft (and left the company), which he did because he ran out of money 18 months into development trying to make ~the perfect game~.

Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJh3h6rAX8

87 million dollars.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

At that time, if single-player ends up there, that's when i'll grumble about getting my money back.

not before.

You do know the single player was part of the pitch for the crowd funding
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/09/star-citizen-the-long-con/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/14695-Star-Citizen-Controversy-Reaches-a-Boiling-Point

I'm glad this project led with the MMO idea, not the single player, or might have been inclined to actually throw money at it.

Offline Luis Dias

Everyone in the world should get an update on Hanlon's razor... too much focus on the "con artist" angle these days, when explanations are a lot more mundane and ... sad.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
tl;dr -

The predictable outcome of crowdsourcing, and derek smart wants attention.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Luis Dias

He might be wanting attention, but he's also right that the project is a total ****storm.

Or you could see it this way: Imagine how terrible the situation at SC must be that they are being pwned left and right by someone like Derek Smart.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Really intriguing to watch. I doubt SC will end up delivering on everything promised but (unlike Mr. Smart) I'm reasonably confident a fun game will eventually emerge.

I also want it to succeed because I think the earth would melt from Mr. Smart's smugness if he turned out to be right.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, Freelancer was awesome. It was unfinished and didn't have half the features promised, but boy was it awesome. I'm confident that whatever Star Citizen ends up as, it'll at least be fun to play. And unlike with Freelancer, they have a way of further developing the game after the general release. Back then, patching content updates in was simply not done (expansion packs were major affairs), but with an MMO like SC, that's the usual way to go. It's unlikely to have all the features promised at "release", but they'll probably keep updating it well after that. After some years, it might end up with most of the promised stuff added in.

Offline Lorric

I also want it to succeed because I think the earth would melt from Mr. Smart's smugness if he turned out to be right.

Apart from the obvious of it being a shot in the arm for space games if it succeeds, all those people who paid into it deserve it for their faith and loyalty and for sparking off the renewed production of space games by showing the World that this isn't a dead genre.

Sadly though, it's not looking good, and I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on the future production of space games, though I don't think it will as it showed the World there's money to be made and if Star Citizen does collapse, it won't change that, indeed, people might well think they can get the people who bought into Star Citizen to spend their money on them instead.

This is linked to in that Escapist article Akalabeth posted:

https://archive.is/vB6RP

It's a very interesting read, and it it's authentic shows how even with vast amounts of money and talent a project can still be ruined. It puts me in mind of EA swallowing up all those great companies and ruining them because they couldn't keep their tentacles out of the way and just let them carry on doing what made them great. Trust the talent to do what they know how to do and just get out of the way and let them work their magic.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Well, Freelancer was awesome. It was unfinished and didn't have half the features promised, but boy was it awesome. I'm confident that whatever Star Citizen ends up as, it'll at least be fun to play. And unlike with Freelancer, they have a way of further developing the game after the general release. Back then, patching content updates in was simply not done (expansion packs were major affairs), but with an MMO like SC, that's the usual way to go. It's unlikely to have all the features promised at "release", but they'll probably keep updating it well after that. After some years, it might end up with most of the promised stuff added in.
Freelancer wasn't awesome. It was one dimensional in writing and in gameplay, the game's art style was hilariously bad, and so poorly mismanaged Chris Roberts had to sell his company and stop being director of the game for it to release!

fakeedit: However one dimensional writing and gameplay are par the course for Chris Robert's games

realedit: However if you want what is looking to be a perfect Freelancer 2.0 in the sense of unfinished, likely sold to a publisher to finish and CR stepping down then look no further than Star Citizen
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:10:41 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL