Author Topic: Forum avatars and titles  (Read 32137 times)

Re: Forum avatars and titles
Magnanimously giving us what virtually every forum on the internet gives it's users by default.

It's not like avatars are some basic human right, they're a bit of web design that lets you add a personal flair to all your posts. Personally I don't like them because I think they're symptomatic of the bulletin board design's problem with surrounding actual post content with redundant junk, and I think if HLP made any mistake with them it was letting admins have them as vanity badges and then letting a massive cultural gulf grow between the admins and the regular users.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm a battuta.

Offline Luis Dias

TIL that people really do care about avatars. As if that's the thing that will make people think higher of you.

Oh, the disappointment that people will get that once they have majestically carved their incredible photoshops to show off to all the rest of the commentariat, the respect and sympathy won't move a pixel from beforehand.

Visual pollution will have increased for a bargained false sense of identity, and life will continue to be as meaningless as it was before. But hey, at least some people will finally be able to post with a cute furrie at the side of their own input commentary on all things existing.

In unrelated news, I'm kinda not joyful today.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hey guys, maybe not **** up the thread any further with useless noise?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What the hell just happened in the last 6 posts?

I want an avatar. I want to make the mini-profile that's attached to every single one of my posts look nice, for I am a designer! I want the admins (or at least one in particular) to not care so damn much about status symbols and power hierarchy. I want that this thread not become a place to, once again, vent about HLP admins, mods, or other feuds that may be going on. I want to go back to the time when we'd argue about the thickness of cables and number of pilots in fictional spacecraft rather than whether or not everyone can have a small custom image by their internet-name on a video game forum.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 02:00:26 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What the hell just happened in the last 6 posts?

I want an avatar. I want to make the mini-profile that's attached to every single one of my posts look nice, for I am a designer! I want the admins (or at least one in particular) to not care so damn much about status symbols and power hierarchy. I want that this thread not become a place to, once again, vent about HLP admins, mods, or other feuds that may be going on. I want to go back to the time when we'd argue about the thickness of cables and number of pilots in fictional spacecraft rather than whether or not everyone can have a small custom image by their internet-name on a video game forum.

qft
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: bizarre concern about power dynamics and admin specialness

It is traditional in many, many places (insert phrase here) to have avatars. This has not resulted in the sky falling in on them or caused them to spontaneously combust. The sole reason to value this tradition more than any other tradition is the belief that it makes us unique and better.

Phrase to be inserted: for members, moderators, and admins

Please continue to read remainder of that post as normal, realize Goober's objection is already answered.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Vote in my poll
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Luis Dias

I want the admins (...) to not care so damn much about status symbols and power hierarchy. I want that this thread not become a place to, once again, vent about HLP admins, mods, or other feuds that may be going on. I want to go back to the time when we'd argue about the thickness of cables and number of pilots in fictional spacecraft rather than whether or not everyone can have a small custom image by their internet-name on a video game forum.

Seconded all that.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Vote in my poll

I don't know where it is. MAKE IT MORE OBVIOUS SPOON
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Vote in my poll

I don't know where it is. MAKE IT MORE OBVIOUS SPOON
CLICK ME
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Seriously we have Minecraft profile ID buttons on our posts but apparently avatars are a bridge too far, Goober?  And Steam IDs, and four different kind of instant messengers, and a half dozen emails and personal sights, and twitter.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I never really understood why those buttons have to be included with every post... I just added every button just to show how silly it really is. (And seriously, are AIM, Yahoo messenger and IRQ still a thing in this time and age?)
Urutorahappī!!

the ICQ button is the worst because apparently nobody in the past decade has bothered to make it so the background isn't white
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
(And seriously, are AIM, Yahoo messenger and IRQ still a thing in this time and age?)
I'm part of a group of people who chat in AIM just about every night of the week.  We're pretty much a living anachronism at this point though. :p

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I never really understood why those buttons have to be included with every post... I just added every button just to show how silly it really is. (And seriously, are AIM, Yahoo messenger and IRQ still a thing in this time and age?)

Lol, I just went and removed a bunch of mine.. though it seems MSN was disabled at some point, but I still have data there. I can't remove it. Axem, HALP!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Axem

Lol, I just went and removed a bunch of mine.. though it seems MSN was disabled at some point, but I still have data there. I can't remove it. Axem, HALP!

No can do. That goes far beyond my meager admin powers. You need like an admin that knows stuff.  :nervous:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm part of a group of people who chat in AIM just about every night of the week.  We're pretty much a living anachronism at this point though. :p
You are starting to lose sync with the current timeline! You might start to fade out at any moment!
Stay with us, Mongoose!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I use ICQ.

But I agree. The fact we have a minecraft profile button at all is a merit for every other game out there to have one. It sets a precedent.

We are a freespace forum.

We should only freespace.

Or at the very least limit it to space combat.

+1 for avatars.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png