Author Topic: Forum avatars and titles  (Read 32143 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Forum avatars and titles
A 1:1 maximum size ratio makes the most sense to me; I also don't think anyone would cry terribly much if either the 2^n counter or the post counter went away.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Regarding the 2^n counter, I had mentioned this before:

Similarly, the powers-of-two text represents "member rank" based on the number of posts.  This has used a different distribution of ranks throughout HLP's history.  It's been powers-of-two for ages, but prior to that it was based on FreeSpace ships... "GTF Apollo" and "GTF Valkyrie" were for members with fewer posts; "GTD Orion and "GTVA Colossus" were for members with higher posts.  "GVA Setekh" was the highest rank due to Setekh having by far the largest number of posts on HLP for a number of years.  We could change this back to FreeSpace ships, or use the actual FreeSpace rank system, or something different.

I'll change that back to ships and see how that's received.

EDIT: Incidentally, I've attached the current member distribution by postcount.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:12:08 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Axem

Yeah, back to FS Ship ranks might be interesting (also from that pic I think we can see where the Setekh rank is ;)). But it does seem kind of odd to have 2 pieces of text represent "amount of times user has posted". Maybe we could hide the numerical post counter if we need more vertical space? Combine them?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Aside from the 2-∞ group, which has special permissions for spambots, none of the postcount-based membergroups actually do anything.  They just add extra flair, and can be renamed or removed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Powers of 2 is distinct and elegant, don't change that!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

I'll change that back to ships and see how that's received.

Would it be possible to have different ships for different classes, and have the users be allowed to choose between them?  Ie, in each rank, you can choose from among that rank's ships.

A bit confusing unless a stickied overview is in GD maybe?  Too much a pain to implement?  I dunno, I was just thinking, being stuck with a ship you think as ugly for your rank pic might not be so cool for some.

I say: nuke both, or nuke postcount and keep 2^n. Using ships would seem kinda cheesy, IMO.

Online Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Well, I mean you could do the Pilot Ranks (Ensign, Lieutenant, etc.) but that also seems a bit cheesy.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
:yes:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I feel like suddenly the layouts I suggested and the poll that has voted on them is being ignored?  :confused:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Axem

They're still in my mind! I would definitely like to see badges go under avatars (which was the winning option), and when people were voting on them, were they intending to vote to get rid of custom titles and the 2^n text as well? The comments here seem to like that stuff still...

And I still like badge next to moderator for project hosted stuff, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that with SMF. (Zero knowledge of PHP or how things work here)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

I like powers of 2, but let's see how this goes.  The old postcount-based groups are still there and can be changed back if desired.

Would it be possible to have different ships for different classes, and have the users be allowed to choose between them?  Ie, in each rank, you can choose from among that rank's ships.

A bit confusing unless a stickied overview is in GD maybe?  Too much a pain to implement?  I dunno, I was just thinking, being stuck with a ship you think as ugly for your rank pic might not be so cool for some.

This is a postcount-based usergroup.  The forum is not set up to have one usergroup with multiple possible names.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Speaking of user titles, while I recognize that they're part of the tradition and stuff, I have to agree with those saying they're not always a positive addition to this forum. One example I know well into the details was my "Rainbow Brite" title; although I knew why I got it, my biggest issue with it was its reference to some random TV program or cartoon aimed at an audience of children aged 8 or younger, either in the UK or the US. As a foreigner I found it disturbing because I had to do some search to find out what it was about, and even at that point, my feelings about it didn't change. It was still a reference other community members got more that I ever did, something that didn't belong to me. I felt extremely estranged... it wasn't like having L'Albero Azzurro or Lo Zecchino d'Oro as a title, if you get what I mean. I am now fine with my current title, because it's strictly linked to my nickname and various personal experiences here on this forum.

And speaking of project badges, a few years ago somebody in a thread I can't even remember proposed to change their size and sort them differently below a user's nickname according to the specific involvement in each project. According to this proposal (which fell into oblivion right after it was posted), a community member who is either the project leader or an extremely active contributor of a mod would get a big-sized badge of the project, and right below it, the small-sized badges of projects where his contributions and/or roles are significant, but not decisive. The main goal of this proposal was to mark the differences between the leads of projects and their contributors, and give both members and visitors additional and first-glance details about key modders.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Axem

Only on HLP do we have a thread discussing avatars and user titles and the result is post count titles changing. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Speaking of user titles, while I recognize that they're part of the tradition and stuff, I have to agree with those saying they're not always a positive addition to this forum. One example I know well into the details was my "Rainbow Brite" title; although I knew why I got it, my biggest issue with it was its reference to some random TV program or cartoon aimed at an audience of children aged 8 or younger, either in the UK or the US. As a foreigner I found it disturbing because I had to do some search to find out what it was about, and even at that point, my feelings about it didn't change. It was still a reference other community members got more that I ever did, something that didn't belong to me. I felt extremely estranged... it wasn't like having L'Albero Azzurro or Lo Zecchino d'Oro as a title, if you get what I mean. I am now fine with my current title, because it's strictly linked to my nickname and various personal experiences here on this forum.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Only on HLP do we have a thread discussing avatars and user titles and the result is post count titles changing. :p

Which is a change I really do not like.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Agreed
Who wants to be Hades of all things?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Postnubis
Postpollo
Thposth
Postkylrie
Poth
Hercupost
Postsiris
Postdusa
Urpost
Posten
Fenpost
Leviapost
Typost
Postrion
Poki
Myrmipost
Taurpost
Serapost
Posteus
Ptos
Pegapost
Boanerdges
Postkha
Posthmet
Erinpost
Aeol Online
Menthu Slim
Postmos
Postbek
Hecapost
Postshepsut
Postlossus
Steak

how many posts do i need to be a freccia alata
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

goober literally everyone who has expressed an opinion wants 2^n postcounts not ships what the hell are you doing
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.