Author Topic: How to show images?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Hey all,

Could someone give me a quick rundown on how to display images on the screen in-mission? I want some successive images to fill the screen and fade-in fade-out, like a slideshow. I thought I could work this out for myself, but I don't get it. Show-subtitle-image doesn't make the image show up.

Does this help? I used this for my cutscene, it's just one picture but you can do this several times, just look for the time between the shown images...

Nr. 2 and 3 are used to position the picture on screen.

Oh, and you have to put the desired image in the "maps" folder of your mod.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life

Aha, this was my problem! I had the image in "interface." Is there anything special I have to do to get the image to stretch and fill the screen regardless of the image resolution?
That is, I have a 1024x768 image, but I want it to fill the screen on any resolution.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Piggybacking on this thread, it seems that FSO will specifically treat the color black as transparent:
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/issues/1074

Is it possible to override this and treat black as black?

Offline Axem

An image without an alpha channel will render the image additively (black transparent basically).

An image with an alpha channel will render the image as seen exactly.

Sorry can't help you with that. I just used it for small subtitles, never filled a screen...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:31:58 am by bomb3rman »

Offline m!m

The show-subtitle-image SEXP already supports scaling the image to the size of the screen (but you need to be careful since the aspect ratio of the screen may not match the ratio of the screen). Simply specify 0, 0 for the position and 100, 100 for the size and then the image should fill the screen.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
An image without an alpha channel will render the image additively (black transparent basically).

An image with an alpha channel will render the image as seen exactly.

The show-subtitle-image SEXP already supports scaling the image to the size of the screen (but you need to be careful since the aspect ratio of the screen may not match the ratio of the screen). Simply specify 0, 0 for the position and 100, 100 for the size and then the image should fill the screen.

Sorry to dig this up, but I need to know if this information is still accurate... for cutscene I want to insert two images to give the impression that it is footage from a fixed camera (with the usually visual signifiers, right down to the flashing red "() REC" in the upper right corner) and before I spend time to make and then remake the overlay, I want to get this out of the way...

EDIT: It is
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:48:33 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."