Author Topic: I accidentally the whole turret AI  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I accidentally the whole turret AI
This weekend I spent several hours trying to find a bug in my mods POFs and ships/weapons tables.
I thought I broke something in the tables, because my test ship with custom weapons behaved strangely. In the test mission I'm sitting in an invulnerable fighter and let the hostile test ship shoot at me with its turrets.
But at random intervals the test ship would stop firing at me, sometimes for up to 25-30 seconds.
First I suspected some wrong combination of weapon/subsystem flag, but I noticed that when the turrets stop firing, the threat indicator (red triangle) vanishes, which I interpret that the AI does not even attempt to shoot at me.

After swapping out all ships and weapons to retail data/POFs the bug still persisted, which confused me even more, because an equivalent test mission in retail in the main /data/missions folder did not show the bug.
In the end I discovered that it's the mission file itself that is somehow broken, because recreating the mission from scratch made the bug go away.

I have converted the mission to be compatible to vanilla FSO (should work with pretty much any build) using a Ulysses and a hostile Poseidon, and it still bugs out. It seems to happen mostly when moving around.

Here is the mission file, maybe someone here can tell my what I broke? Because I'm afraid I might do it again by accident. I looked at the mission in notepad but couldn't find anything suspicious.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: I accidentally the whole turret AI
Here's s screen of the threat indicator I mentioned

When the ship bugs out, it completely disappears and maybe flickers on for a split second, as if the AI tries to target me but immediately changes its mind.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:54:53 am by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Link to the mission file does not work.  Permissions may not be set to public.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Link to the mission file does not work.  Permissions may not be set to public.

Oops sorry, should be fixed now.