NATION: Flying Ferraris (ITALY)
10 (16.4%)
NATION: USSSSSSSSR (RUSSIA)
8 (13.1%)
NATION: Zero to Hero (JAPAN)
2 (3.3%)
NATION: Mirage de Baguette (FRANCE)
6 (9.8%)
GAMEPLAY: Let's play format (traditional)
9 (14.8%)
GAMEPLAY: Collaborative format (details TBD)
11 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: April 25, 2019, 04:30:47 pm

Author Topic: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Germany - [Image Heavy!]  (Read 136662 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Germany - [Image Heavy!]
It is somewhat funny to me that a game that was originally made with the goal of "What if no carriers" ends up with a game state where "Only carriers and destroyers" is a winning paradigm. Very realistic, I suppose.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Quite.

I am still a bit concerned that the matchmaking algorithms can't really handle such a skewed navy. When I get into a fight with another navy that has cruisers operating, two things can happen:

• Either you get two lategame destroyers fighting against a lategame light cruiser or (heaven forbid) a lategame heavy cruiser, in which case you get utterly trashed if you try to fight him head-on, because lategame cruisers with electronic fire control can shoot an apple off the head of the son of Wilhelm Tell at 20kyards. One solution I've found, in this particular scenario, is to keep the cruiser at the maximum of your visual / radar range, keep him spotted, and wait for land-based aircraft to blow her out of the sea. If you're operating away from your airbases, then you're **** outta luck and you can only run. Hail-Mary torpedo charges can also work, but cruisers can ususally run away for long enough to kill your DDs before they catch up.
OR
  • You get an invasion battle, or a 'fleet battle', where you send out everything that floats, the kitchen sink included, and face minimal resistance. In my last war VS the Brits, I sent six CVs, two CVLs a BC, a BB, and twenty DDs to the Indian Ocean and hit the beaches of Burma with a D-Day like landing after five months of planning, which is exactly as awesome and cathartic as it sounds. EVERY SINGLE ONE of my ships showed up in the invasion battle. The CVs hit the coastal fortifications and the enemy airfields, the CVLs and DDs provided AA support to the BBs and the landing transports, and the BBs utterly annihilated the single cruiser, two destroyers and five corvettes that the Brits had on-station.

When the latter scenario happens it feels amazing; when the former scenario occurs, you can't help but feel bitter that your DDs have been hung out to dry when you have placed several CVs and CVLs in the same map sector, specifically so they can engage isolated enemy ships like that ****ing CA that just blew poor Minekaze to smithereens.

Kinda feels like this:

'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Enioch

PSA:

I have set up a Discord channel for the potential collaboration game

I will judge the feasibility of such a game based on the number of people joining

Discord link: /zYeEtrW

PSA:

I have set up a Discord channel for the potential collaboration game

I will judge the feasibility of such a game based on the number of people joining

Discord link: /zYeEtrW

I've refrained from joining for now pending quick clarification on this - I'm interested in seeing the story writeups like we have had so far, but I don't think I'd like to take an active role (ie play a submitted role like those posted earlier on here). Should I still join this discord?

Offline Enioch

There will be channels reserved for players, but the game results will be visible to everyone.

Offline Enioch

Yes, yes, not posted in 30 days, blah blah blah, bugger off, I post when I like.

Had some time during the holidays to sit down and do some modeling. It's been a while and I've forgotten how relaxing it can be, and since I'm not doing much modding anymore, I thought I'd work on some RTW-related stuff.

HIJMS Mikasa, sailing merrily along. Sadly no smoke, Blender's smoke simulation system is baffling to me.

Ooh, kirei!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:46:53 pm by Scourge of Ages »

snip

That's actually really pretty - nice job! one of these days i should learn to how use blender right