Author Topic: Filling In the Blanks  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Freespace has a lot of things. It has a great bunch of ships, intriguing storyline, realistic technological advancement etc.

However, it does not have a very well fleshed out history and/or universe. I think we could do something about that. It would be possible, through either a series of threads and the work of a few dedicated writers, or the work of the writers with emailed submissions, to write a (hopefully) community supported background to FS2 - working with as much game information as is available, we could start to flesh out a bit about Vasudan culture, GTVA government, etc. If that worked out, we could think about pre FS1 timelines, possible ways the GTA could have come about - basically do a lot of fleshing out of Vs tech room descriptions.

Trekkies do it. Warsies do it. I'm not suggesting we go to that length of course (I don't know how they actually can manage that - or, frankly, why they bother) but a bit of detailing here and there would be pretty useful, I think.

I realize that the same problems that plague a fan made FS3 (nobody agrees, people would ignore it if it didn't fit etc.) would affect this as well, but given the difference in the concepts behind answering all of FS2s questions, and expanding on the information V gave us without ever trying to answer any plot based questions might be enough to see us thrugh... I hope.

So, opinions? Could something like this work?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Black Wolf
So, opinions? Could something like this work?
No.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
What exactly do you have in mind here? Something like the FSURP where all existing information is compiled into a big database?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
No, he wants to fill in the blanks with fan made fiction, which would IMHO **** with possible campaigns that could be in progress if the community tries to say something is canon and one campaign has already started work that is decidedly not canon.

I say leave this to the campaigns. Making everything a certain way seriously deprives possible or wip campaigns of creativity.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline diamondgeezer

Let's just start another TAS thread...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hmm - I see how this could affect campaigns, and I agree it could possibly screw with them. But the idea was more for use in Fan Fiction (which is very rare ATM). I've tried writing a few times before and always run into similar problems

A - I have practically no idea what the hell a pilot does all day.

B - I have no idea how a GTVA ship is run

C - No real understanding of how the GTVA as a whole is run (beyond the limited data V gave us.

That said, I doubt that there are too many places it would screw withh existing camps - as I said, its mainly meant to be used for fleshing out the stuff that happens off a battlefield (the stuff we hear practically nothing about). Of course, it wouldn't be canon, or in any way required for camps. Just something people could look at for ideas/curiosity.

Meh - 'tis just an idea. If there's no support, I shall banish it from my mind (well, from the forum anyway)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 11:29:33 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
No it wouldn't be canon, but people might come to think of it as.

How bout' you just go right some of your own fan fiction instead? I think the lack of fan fiction is because FRED is so easy to use, and lets you basically play out any fan fiction you want. That's why everyone and thier aunt's dog has their own campaign of somesort going on.

As for pilots, they fly missions sucka :p

How a GTVA ship is run? I imagine just like any other ship with a command chain, shifts, people manning their respective positions, etc etc.

GTVA = Security council + vasudan Parilment + some kind of house of representatives.

Like I said, write a fan fic about it, or better yet, put it in a campaign. This is the kinda stuff I'm working on myself right now. I'll tell you as a fellow writer and player of campaigns, Stuff written as a guideline, even if it's not meant to be canon, is less liked or accepted than it would be if it were in an incredibly detailed campaign.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
For political stuff, search for some old posts on the subject around here. I think it is generally agreed that the basic structure of the GTVA is that there is that the Security Council controls both species' naval fleets and military operations, the General Assembly, as KT said, is some kind of congress-like body which controls civil affairs in predominantly Terran systems, and the Vasudan Imperium is more like a heirarchy with the Emperor at the top (it seems that he is something like a president or prime minister despite his title; he has power and is not just a figurehead but is not really an absolute ruler either) that performs the same functions as the GA but in Vasudan systems. I am not really sure about the local system governments though, as they could be operating independently (like some sort of federalist system) or they could simply be arms of the two main bodies that carry out orders; there are reasons in support of either possibility.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 12:03:45 pm by 296 »

Offline Solatar

If you do this, stay away from TVWar and pre-GTA stuff. the TVWP has covered how the GTA came about(FREDing not finished yet) and we plan to do the entire V-T War.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Hades
If you do this, stay away from TVWar and pre-GTA stuff. the TVWP has covered how the GTA came about(FREDing not finished yet) and we plan to do the entire V-T War.

He has a point. Plus, NTV and the Port are going to flesh out a lot of the Post FS1-Pre FS2 story. Perhaps it's just best to leave this to the campaigns to explain. Playing is more fun than reading.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

He has a point. Plus, NTV and the Port are going to flesh out a lot of the Post FS1-Pre FS2 story. Perhaps it's just best to leave this to the campaigns to explain. Playing is more fun than reading.

Unless you want to do the stuff happening during the fs2 camp. But that could be boring...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Me thinks the NTF war and FS2 will be covered very soon

bottom line - 'd be best to stay away from this one.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 06:15:21 pm by 675 »

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Jake101

Someone said above and earlier that if we created an entire timeline beyond what has been done by Volition, that it would ruin any chances at creative fan fiction.  Not true.  There's a million and one scenarios that you can do with the story.  Just because we fill in the blanks with what we believe could be the truth, doesn't mean that campaigns can go in another direction entirely.:rolleyes:
-Jake101
Ferrium is Pwnage.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
The way I took it is that he wanted to write something that would be accepted as canon by modders. Which is cool, but no twith potential modding material. And if he didn't mean that, then he could just go write some fan-fic himself.

Too Long, Didn't Read