Author Topic: Odd FRED error  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, more accurately it's probably an OS problem, but it seems to only affect FRED. Whenever I run FRED, it never seems to fully initialize. It loads, and it starts using Memory, which task manager confirms, but I can never actually see it, or use it, it's simply not there, as if it didn't load at all. Task Manager tells me it's still responding, and I can end the process without fuss, but it's just not there. Anyone else had this problem? I'm running WinXP Pro?

BTW - FRED Open (Version R) still works, but rooting around in the task manager has shown it uses 97 mb, compared to FRED original's 20 or so...:eek2: That's not normal is it?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Shinobi

• http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities
I had that problem as well. It was the beginnig of the end as one after another programs stopped working...
I rectified the problem by fdisking my cmputor :)
btw- is that problem on your new or old computor?

Shinobi

Twisted Infinities-P1mp!
[Sectorgame] - Lurker
[Freespace 2 Sector]  - Lurker

Rawhide! - Hilarious Vasudan Comedy from ZylonBane
Freespace Flash! - Mindless Flash Action Goodness from Carl

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
New :nervous: I only just got everything reinstalled. I don;t want to have to format again...
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline diamondgeezer

Never heard of anything like that before. But FRED_Open does take up an obscene amount of memory - some builds have been known to eat up nearly 200mb :shaking:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmm... had this myself, firstly, try selecting Fred2 in your task manager and clicking 'Switch to', if that doesn't work, you need a different version of Fred, I'm afraid, try the Inferno Build in Phreaks siggy, I find that one is a nice stable fallback :)

Flipside :D

Offline Solatar

I had a similiar problem, but FRED would just crash.

I solved it by running FRED from a different directory than that which I played fs2 in.