Poll

Given Vs Storyline, would the community ever finish FS3?

Yes
15 (78.9%)
No
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: July 01, 2004, 10:50:10 am

Author Topic: Hypotheticals  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Just say, some newbie (note the little n - he's a sensible newbie) arrived, claiming to be a former (or current I guess) V staff member, with the story for Freespace 3. DaveB backs him up, so there's no question of its authenticity, and he wants to make a fan project to complete Vs trilogy.

The story is fairly detailed, with complete mission descriptions and the like, but the project would require a lot of work, dozens of mods, cutscenes, source changes etc.

So, hypotetically... would we get it done? FSU, the closest recent example, hasn't technically dies but went very quickly from a lot of excitement to a lot less. We've also begun to realize that most of our own promising projects are dying due to lack of manpower - would you really be willing to take time away from the projects you're working on (or running, in the case of many talented individuals in the community) to work for an effectively unknown newbie? Would the lure of a proper end to the series, one that you might not even agree with, be enough to get the coders to lay aside their personal aims, and move in the directions that the FS3 story requires? And do we even have enough people and enough motivation to take on such a massive project any more?

Hypothetically.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I don't know about the rest of the people here, but if even a slimmer of a chance the storyline can be continued, and that it is officially endorsed (or even unofficially) by the creators of the storyline in the first place, then, yes, I'd be willing to pitch in what pathethic little resources I have :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
No, and personally I wouldn't commit to any large project, regardless of origin.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:34:09 pm by 181 »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Singh
I don't know about the rest of the people here, but if even a slimmer of a chance the storyline can be continued, and that it is officially endorsed (or even unofficially) by the creators of the storyline in the first place, then, yes, I'd be willing to pitch in what pathethic little resources I have :)
I don't doubt about there being people willing to commit to it - I'm wondering whether people think that we'd ever get it finished.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Depends on who's doing it. So many of us are so spread out it's not even funny.

We need to train these n00b's
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
We need to train these n00b's

Why do you think I wrote the FAQ and help with any question I know the answer to?

Sure I'm a friendly guy but a large part of it is cause I knew that anyone who learnt to mod might end up helping me (or at least make a campaign I wanted to play) :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Kara: Geuss why I'm making the wiki?

I geuss I would help, and I would probably be around for quite some time too. I doubt it would happen though.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
That would be cool,
 but that will never happen
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Depends if it's any good! If it's a crap story, then screw it. We've got some great plotlines going on with the likes of INF, SA and the like. If, however, it's a masterpiece, then yes, I'd use my scant talents to help.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
No, because my campaign is BETTAR!

;)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Curiously enough, that is more or less exactly why it would never get finished KT, because it would mean the forumers would all have to agree on things ;) We don't do agree ;)

Offline WildWolf

• Todd M.
The proposed story for FS3 that I heard about was pretty intruiging. If that means anything to ya.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yeah, yeah...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by saying that? :p

I'd personally jump on the bandwagon and do what I can in the animation department...wouldn't have the inspiration for anything else though. In all reality, we haven't seen a single 'major' campaign released for FS2, even though a good few have been in production for 3 years or more now. It's saddening, really. My vote to "no".

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'll be honest, I'm still pretty convinced it would end up as one huge argument :(
If it was suggested as something that the entire community got involved in, I'd be all up for it, but take, for example, textures and animations. My own taste in textures is pretty colourful, game-like if you will, so those textures probably wouldn't go down too well with people who prefer less saturated, more 'real-life' type textures, because they would be too 'bright'.

The same would apply to music, models, gameplay, storyline etc.

I think that within a few months of starting, a lot of people would lose heart and leave.

It's a grand idea, but our own Quality Control would kill it, at least in my opinion.

Offline Solatar

The SCP has been going for a long time and hasn't died. What's to say something else this big couldn't last?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Because the SCP is only dealing with a single 'part' of Freespace, and they have a large degree of Autonomy as long as they do not break the code, no ones going to turn around to Bobboau and say 'Well, you've spent six hours integrating Environment mapping, but I don't like it, so we're not going to include it.'. As long as it works, it's in. The SCP itself is coders only, not a mishmash of various and competing skills, a coder may not agree with how something is done or suggest a better way, but as long as it does not break the CVS, the coders have more-or-less autonomy on the content of their work.

Something as big as this couldn't be run like that, this place is filled to overflowing with skilled artists, musicians, modellers etc, it's also got a lot of people who are still starting out. A project like this would isolate people who want to participate, but just lack the skills or are still learning them. At least having new mods etc pop up all the time gives these people a chance to become part of the community. Also, people here have rl issues which means they cannot always meet deadlines, which could end up stalling large parts of the project, leading to more frustrations.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be great, it would, but I'd feel really sorry for whoever had to try and organise things :(

Offline Solatar

Yeah, good point. It would be an organizational nightmare...

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by WildWolf
The proposed story for FS3 that I heard about was pretty intruiging. If that means anything to ya.

Sheddup, MiLlAr. :p
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
An interesting idea I had for a scheme to organize something like that would be for organizers to set up a website with a color-coded tree sort of thing which would list *exactly* what was needed/done/partly-done. People could then sign up to work on stuff, this could be implemented with some kind of dynamic website (It would be very similar to a wiki).

The diagram would list stuff by category first, then go into sub-categories then eventually on to individual works.

So under "Ships" there'd be "Shivan Ships" then "Capital ships" and then it would have a list of shivan capital ships needed (listed by, say, name). The entries would be links to a separate page with any additional information (concept art, tech room entries, what is already done, files for the work, who's working on it so on).

There would be an "upload" link as well, which would let developers upload any finished or partly finished material to the page. A list of files for the work would appear in the entry for it.

That would grant some degree of autonomy to the project and provide a visual clue of how much has been done.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman