Author Topic: Shivans, Beams and The Great War.  (Read 23475 times)

Offline Nuclear1

Shivans, Beams and The Great War.
Originally posted by aldo_14
I don't know about the supernova heat issue, although it could be solved if the Shivans can point-jump into the subspace node and rapdily jump through it.  If they had a tactic of that sort of 'nuke-star, move on' warfare, I'd imagine they'd have a solution to that end, though.

Couldn't the opposite have been Bosch's idea as well? Perhaps the Shivans never used to nuke stars--perhaps the juggernaut's subspace weapon is used as a planet-killer or something worse, but then Bosch used to his advantage. It's possible that the Shivans in Capella could not have survived the supernova; hence Bosch's aim in the first place.

-----
FADE IN

A SHIVAN juggernaut line activates a mysterious subspace weapon aimed directly at the Capella star. The star begins to destabilize as the SHIVAN CAPTAINS begin speaking.

Shivan Captain 1: The star is now reaching collapse point. All crew, lock onto target in closest proximity and prepare the engines.

Shivan Captain 2: Nearest target is several lightyears away. Prepare the warp core.

Shivan Captain 3: Have we ever destroyed targets such as this before?

SHIVAN CAPTAINS look at each other in disbelief. CAPTAIN 1 presses a button on the controls.

SC1: I'm outta here!

SC3: Me too!

SHIVAN CAPTAIN 2 looks around confusedly.

SC2: What are you running from? This is just a routine--

The star goes supernova in a bright orange shockwave. Several kilometers away, a massive battle rages between Alliance and Shivan forces. CARL is seen commanding a Moloch-class corvette currently in battle versus a Terran Deimos.

CARL: Ah, yes. Mission complete. The primary target has been destroyed and--awwwwww, shhhhhiiiii-

The Moloch and Deimos are engulfed in the shockwave.

----

:nervous:

Sorry about that. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the Shivans that were around during the final battle were destroyed when the secondary shockwave reached them--the Moloch was history, at least, and I have little reason to believe that the other ships were utterly eradicated (seeing as how the jugs that stayed behind looked like they were turned to roast Shivan as well).
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

It says the Shivans fought the Ancients 8000 years ago in the freespace 2 database in the race information area.

The Shivans have robotic components so they could hibernate or go into a form of statis I believe.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by StratComm
I'm honestly not sure where the 8000 figure came from, but between the implied age of the Ancient ruins on Altair in FS1 and Bosch's comments about some ancient Pharaoh watching the supernova from Earth lead credance to several thousand years being appropriate.  Though we really don't know what system the nebula is supposed to be, and thus how long it would have taken earth to see the light from its nova.

I think the general consensus was that the Lupus nebula was the best 'fit', although it's not exactly consensus (IIRC its formation would have been visible around that time).

(aside)

Albiet it's worth noting the nebula was most likely formed before the Ancients-Shivan war, given the presence of the Knossos gates (you;re not going to build jumpgates during a retreat, after all).  Doesn't preclude the Shivans forming it of course; just during that particular war.

Maybe the Shivans way of marking territory is with novas, like a lion pissing on tree? :D

In the first mission into the nebula they speculate that it could be the remains if a super nova.

Probably the same thing happend to the ancients, but instead of a massive fleet of saths it was amassive fleet of lucifers. The shielding technology could have protected them from the explosion?

Why does the lucifer not do this in freespace 1? because theres only 1 of em. Seems the sanths need more then one as well.

Shivans don't give a hoot about planets, so maybe converting all that space into a nebula where they coudl get some resorces is a shivan haven? lol

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by The Spac
In the first mission into the nebula they speculate that it could be the remains if a super nova.

Probably the same thing happend to the ancients, but instead of a massive fleet of saths it was amassive fleet of lucifers. The shielding technology could have protected them from the explosion?

Why does the lucifer not do this in freespace 1? because theres only 1 of em. Seems the sanths need more then one as well.

:sigh:

Why would the Ancients build a knossos gate - nay, a whole series of them - back through a system which an enemy fleet has supernova-ed?

maybe the super nova didn't destroy the gate?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
star. blowing up. big. boom.
nothing survives a supernova, not even planets.

it's simple, the Shivans have been killing stuff for a hell of a lot longer than 8,000 years, and this nebula is an example of such an event.

the Shivans wouldn't have been trapped by a colaped node, there the freaking gods of subspace.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

The Capella 'supernova' was also one of those scifi freaky supernovas: it may well have propagated at faster than the speed of light (since it hit the fleets in a few dozen seconds).  Then there's the freaky green Sathanas-exit, and the ending monologue implying the Shivan ships left for parts unknown.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's possible that the "supernova" the Shivans can induce is considerably less impressive then the real thing; which would make sense, as the star doesn't have the mass for a serious explosion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

true true cause it's premature. Plus those knosses devices are damn strong.

Maybe the fleet can't survive, the initial explosion I definately believe would have taken out ships but I think the hulls of the shivan ships at least would survive flying threw the aftermath if they came in later.

I think at a scientific level the ancients knew more about it. Just the shivans are from subspace. What the shivans are good at is killing heehee.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by aldo_14
They did make a serious attempt to attack GTVA forces around that node to Vega, though; hence the whole 'massive attack' line in the briefings.

Nope. That was at the Epsilon Pegasi node. The Shivans sent nothing but a few fighters after the Bastion was destroyed even though they must have known that the GTVA would be trying to block the Vega node too.

Had they wanted to get into GTVA territory after blowing up Capella they would have had to have made some attempt to save the node, probably by capturing the Nereid and disarming the meson bombs.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 06:09:02 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

Nope. That was at the Epsilon Pegasi node. The Shivans sent nothing but a few fighters after the Bastion was destroyed even though they must have known that the GTVA would be trying to block the Vega node too.

Had they wanted to get into GTVA territory after blowing up Capella they would have had to have made some attempt to save the node, probably by capturing the Nereid and disarming the meson bombs.

Nope.

[q]
Start sm3-09.fsm

=========================================================================

MISSION BRIEFING 1

The GTD Bastion, loaded with Meson warheads, is now en route to the Epsilon Pegasi jump node. ?The Bastion will be detonated inside the node to create a subspace cataclysm that will seal off the Capella system. If the Bastion fails to achieve this objective, the Shivans will swarm into our adjacent systems.

MISSION BRIEFING 2

The task force defending the Bastion has been decimated. Three ships remain: the Templar, the Malta, and the Ertanax. All are Aeolus-class cruisers. The Shivans continue to send wave after wave of fighters and bombers. Only a handful of the Bastion's original fighter complement have survived the onslaught.

MISSION BRIEFNG 3

Alpha, Delta, and Beta wings will fly heavy intercept. Your mission is to take out enemy bombers before they close within targeting distance. You'll be armed with the Trebuchet missile, which has an effective range of four kilometers. Gamma wing will fly the Perseus. Their role will be to engage enemy fighters.

MISSION BRIEFING 4

The majority of the fleet is fending off a massive attack at the Vega node.
Thousands of civilians await evacuation and the enemy continues to flood in from Gamma Draconis. We will not get a second chance to pull this off. If we fail here, we unleash the Second Shivan War. We must get the Bastion through at any cost.
[/q]

:p

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it occured to me that the knossos gate at dc was dated in excess of 10,000, so that was there 2000 years before the ancients were destroyed. so that gate network has got to be pretty vast.

taking the philisophical view, the shivans are the destroyers but they are also the preservers. creating nebulas is essentially a way to renew the universe. also stars are only capable of producing elements up to carbon, heavyer elements have to be "baked" in hot nebulas. so through the destruction of stars the shivans may bring new life to the universe.

the relationship between subspace and gravity is cannon, what do you suppose the effect of a ship in subspace during the nove would be? the sathani entered an intra system jump as the sun went nova, most would assume that this was to escape the blast, but to where. as far as they could get would be the edge of the system, but they would have to linger there for centurys before it could cool enough to navigate to the nodes out. perhaps the shivans have the ability to pull an inter system jump from anywhere in the system, but how do you get that many sathani in line for the jump in the few seconds before the wave hit? it would explain why a few remained. i have the feeling that subspace would expand during the nova, and the sathani were riding that expanding wave of subspace for reasons unknown.

the lucifer's mission was genocide , so thats why it attacked so visously. perhaps considering us the ancients' legacy. it is my belief that the increase in subspace usage caused by the t-v war is what awakened the shivans. the sathanas fleet's mission was to blow up capella, shivans made no attempt to enter gtva space. they focused their resources on covering the systems they were to do their dirty work in.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 07:09:56 am by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
AFAIK the Knossos was never dated in the mission briefings or species tbl

?

exactly, how would the main shivan force know that the ancients have even been completely destroyed when they came threw GD. They could have just assumed we are the remains of the ancient empire thats built itself back up. anyways.

and yup since the shivans care nothing for planets the nebula could be a paradise for them with everything they need.

In a campaign I am writing the ancients after they had invented knosses and had totally explored the whole galaxy or as much as they could, tried to make another mode of transport, which they opened up a subspace portal into a pure subspace dimention, and there they ran into the shivans and released them into our galaxy.

nuke your theory about them doing an intra system jump makes me think they they could be just getting back to their dimention. (but then why couldn't htey do that in any system lol) :) SO that stuffs up my theory.

yeah admiral petrach mentioned it's age at least once

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by The Spac
yeah admiral petrach mentioned it's age at least once

Where?  All I can find is an oblique reference to 'thousands of years old', not a specific number.

(Incidentally, Khonsu II was 'Heir of the Dynasty of Ten Thousand Years', which is interesting)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Petrarch didn't say it. It was Doc Hargrove's voice clip, and it said "on the order off".
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story